Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FrOsT_bItE Posts: 125, Reputation: -2
    -

Jun 15, 2007, 12:23 AM
    I'm bad at painting
    Please help me! I love drawing and am really good at it but my problem is that I can't chose the right colors! How can I chose the right ones without having to stress out about it!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2007, 12:28 AM
    Who determines what the right colors are? Go abstract!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2007, 12:32 AM
    There are no right colors!

Have you ever heard the song by Harry Chapin, "Flowers Are Red"? --

The little boy went first day of school
    He got some crayons and started to draw
    He put colors all over the paper
    For colors was what he saw
    And the teacher said.. What you doin' young man
    I'm paintin' flowers he said
    She said... It's not the time for art young man
    And anyway flowers are green and red
    There's a time for everything young man
    And a way it should be done
    You've got to show concern for everyone else
    For you're not the only one

And she said...
    Flowers are red young man
    Green leaves are green
    There's no need to see flowers any other way
    Than the way they always have been seen

But the little boy said...
    There are so many colors in the rainbow
    So many colors in the morning sun
    So many colors in the flower and I see every one

Well the teacher said.. You're sassy
    There's ways that things should be
    And you'll paint flowers the way they are
    So repeat after me...

And she said...
    Flowers are red young man
    Green leaves are green

But the little boy said...
    There are so many colors in the rainbow
    So many colors in the morning sun
    So many colors in the flower and I see every one

The teacher put him in a corner
    She said.. It's for your own good..
    And you won't come out 'til you get it right
    And all responding like you should
    Well finally he got lonely
    Frightened thoughts filled his head
    And he went up to the teacher
    And this is what he said.. and he said

Flowers are red, green leaves are green

Time went by like it always does
    And they moved to another town
    And the little boy went to another school
    And this is what he found
    The teacher there was smilin'
    She said... Painting should be fun
    And there are so many colors in a flower
    So let's use every one

But that little boy painted flowers
    In neat rows of green and red
    And when the teacher asked him why
    This is what he said.. and he said

Flowers are red, green leaves are green
    Than the way they always have been seen.
    -

Jun 15, 2007, 01:09 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    :) cool thanks. Like the poem to!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Now, Frostbite, paint with joy and abandon! Decorate the walls around askmehelpdesk and make us proud of you!
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Art is there for you to do whatever you like. But here are some colour tips.

Have you seen the colourwheel? Draw one yourself red,orange,yellow, green, blue, purple then back to red ( at its most basic)
    Color Matters - Design and Art - Color Theory

Colours beside each other will always look good together e.g. green and yellow. Colours Opposite (complimentary) will zing together - make each other look brighter e.g. orange and blue.

There is also discordant colours like red and blue - get them at the same tone and they will appear to dance - you see this a lot in book covers/logos. Not so much in traditional paintings.

So what colours go? Anything you like everyone has there own personal opinions, some people think discordant colours clash, some people hate pink and red together!

If you are doing a painting put cooler colours (blue, green) into the background they naturally receed. They also add depth to shadows.

Warm colours (orange, red) will come forward.

You should look at impressionist paintings and examine their use of colour - notice how they fleck complimentary colours, to make the painting more vibrant.

The Impressionists

If you have trouble starting copy old masters paintings/ ones you really like. You can learn so much by trying to recreate somebody else's work. You have to really examine what they did to get an effect.

Then try and recreate their style with your own subject matter. Also try and copy one work say an oil painting in a completely different media like soft pastles. It really makes you think and develop as an artist.

Also what paints are you using? You should try acrylics as they are the easiest/ most fun - but I'm biased.

Anyway, just have fun and do whatever you like :)
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2007, 10:53 AM
    Remember that extreme unity leads to under-stimulation, extreme complexity leads to over-stimulation.
    Also, paint it from your heart:)
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Jul 7, 2007, 05:50 PM
    I wish I could paint lolz, I think the art teacher I had when I was young put me of painting, so I never learned it, because I was yelled at by the art teacher for getting too much out of the bottle.
    I like square chalk pastels myself, and I like to cross hatch in artline.
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 04:47 AM
    ^^ cal you should totally try again with paint. I had a friend who was put off painting/art by a teacher - they told her she was a waste of materials! The cheek. I had her round to one of my mural projects and she actually turned out to be one of the best there. She just needed a little instruction, and encouragment then she was away.

So don't be put off go for it. :)

Jul 8, 2007, 06:17 AM
    I mite give it a try, it just scares me lolz.
    Doberman Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jul 10, 2007, 10:42 PM
    are you talking about colored pencil? painting? crayons? or something else?
    bigdreamer85 Posts: 44, Reputation: 5

Jul 12, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Doberman
    are you talking about colored pencil? painting? crayons? or something else?
    I agree your title says painting and the questions about drawing... I don't know, but I am fantastic with a pencil but put a paint brush in my hand and its like a kindergardener did it. My old teacher used to say I just need to get used to a different medium. So just practice. Plus who cares if the colors are right every time... Abstract paintings are the coolest anyways:D

Jul 14, 2007, 04:03 AM
    If you are good at pencil, I suggest you try charcoal, oils pastels, or my favourite- square/chalk pastels
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 04:13 AM
    ^^ you should at degas drawings he used pastel like they were paint, layering them up. I always think this looks better than the popular 'smudging' techniques. I hated pastels until I learnt this - now they are some of my favourites too. I think it really helps someone grow artistically to try out as many mediums as possible. Even non traditional ones such as mud and leaves. You can get some great colours using different soils.

I think true creativity really comes out when you are forced to work in a box. Such as only using your non dominant hand or using only two colours. Place difficult resitrictions and you have to think more and work harder, and in the end I think this results in better art. Just a random thought :)

Jul 14, 2007, 04:18 AM
    I tend to start by doing the background, and id actually do the entire object in full detail, even if its going to be obscured by another bit on top of it
    Lol I used to do the stuff in the front first and work backwards, wich caused problems lol
    Restrictions? That's a good idea, I mite try that.

Lol, my artwork has formed a bunch of characters, and these characters are a recurrent theme.
    Such as my blue haired friend here (in my dp) his name is cal, and he's sort of representative of a part of me, there's also silas (who is very bad, he hates cal, he wants cal dead)(he sort of represents bad stuff in my life) and a chick which is representative of a person I have feelings for and this other guy, no clue who he is, he just sort of came about

So you see, art is more than a bit of paper, it can have a story, a meaning.
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 09:11 AM
    That's cool, I think I remember you talking about them in an early post. I've always liked your icon. Might change mine to one of my pics too.

I'm really bad I know your supposed to do the background first - it really is the best way but my short attention span always leads me to jumping ahead of myself. So I started concentrating on portraits more (animal and people) so that I could stick to simple washes and colours. Lazy I know!But if someone is starting they should really take your advice and not get into bad habits.
    Miro Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 05:00 AM
    Practice makes perfect
    -

Nov 6, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Comment on templelane's post
    So true!
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FrOsT_bItE
    Please help me! I love drawing and am really good at it but my problem is that i can't chose the right colors! How can i chose the right ones without having to stress out about it!?
    If you have an art piece in mind and try to do that in color and are not happy with the colors, that could be discouraging to you. I would like to suggest that first you just load up a palette with all the colors you have or at least primary, secondary and a few others, some white and some black. Have a few brushes available and then just start applying the paint and let your heart tell your hands what to do. You will soon see what colors do what and how they work together. It also helps to see how they blend and which ones muddy up and which ones enhance. Don't be afraid to just slap the paint on in any fashion. As one said earlier, paint with "wild abandonment"! What a great freedom comes with painting like this. After doing this a few times, I think your eye will begin to become trained to know what you want where. Don't worry if there are some who don't like what you paint from time to time. Every artist on this thread, I am sure could tell you of comments made, not as positive as they hoped for. You are a unique creation unto yourself. Find your own path and what works for you There will always be those whose life's ambition it is to take joy from your heart. As long as you enjoy it and paint with passion, believe me, you will have other's fall in love with your work. Once you are pleased with your work, anything else is just icing on the cake! "HAPPY PAINTING!"
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823
    i wish i could paint lolz, i think the art teacher i had when i was young put me of painting, so i never learned it, because i was yelled at by the art teacher for getting too much out of the bottle.
    i like square chalk pastels my self, and i like to cross hatch in artline.
    Cal, it broke my heart for you when I read about this teacher. The sad thing is, as an adult, I have ran into instructors in classes that do the same thing and it hurts adults, how much more so a child. You were so vulnerable being young. Try to just dig your heels in and do what you want to do with painting knowing you have encouragers all around you on this thread. Turn that negative into a positive and use it to push you forward! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad clusters and bad blocks [ 1 Answers ]

When I do the chkdsk on WDC and it says windows replaced the bad clusters Why does Stellar Smart say there's 3 bad blocks? Didn't chkdsk clear it? The PC says no bad sectors

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

Painting [ 3 Answers ]

What causes new paint to peel of the wall

Painting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a painting that has paris etching society ny usa at the top and I believe the name is Diane Emmla Leconte. Can you tell me if she is a artist and if so how much is the painting worth?

View more questions Search