Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pook_Myster Posts: 117, Reputation: 38

Jun 14, 2007, 09:51 PM
    Can you disagree on money & have a healthy relationship?
    My parnter and I have been living together for 6 months, together almost two years. We both own our own real estate, mine being renovated at the moment, and us living in his.

Money for me is tight as a result of my renovations, and money is tight for him as we are just starting in life and finding that to accumulate 'things' is expensive!

This morning I realised that I have a rather large, rather important bill due at the end of this month that I had forgotten about. To miss paying it will mean I will have to pay a lot of interest - bla bla... anyway. I asked my partner if he would mind helping me out, and all of a sudden what I thought was an 'us' situation, felt like it turned into a 'me' and 'you' situation. He made me feel completely hopeless for having to ask, and though he said he would let me borrow the money ($1700 btw) in the end I felt I would rather pay the interest than borrow money off him. I already feel like I haven't been contributing to the finances as well as I would like because quite basically, builders have made me broke! I try my hardest to make up for it in other ways - ie; making sure the house is clean, tidy, washing done, bed made etc.

We seem to disagree on where and when money should be spent, prioritising bills and our general outlook on financial management as a whole.

Do you think that it is possible to have completely different perspectives on money and still maintain a healthy relationship? Right now I feel hopeless and as though I have lost my independence and it has made me cranky toward him.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 14, 2007, 10:10 PM
    My husband and I just had our 40th anniversary. His glass is always empty; mine is always full to overflowing. It goes without saying that we disagree about money. We each have our own checking account, and we have a third one, a joint one.

I suggest you deal with that bill yourself, as best you can. Call the company you owe. Often they are willing to work out something or to give you more time IF you talk with them about it. Your interest rate may not go up either.

Show your partner you are financially responsible.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2007, 04:09 PM
    I agree with Wondergirl's answer above but I might also suggest that both of you, together attend a class on financial management that might open both your eyes to ways you can deal with you finances. Doing it together would show each other that both want to make improvements and you both can learn some financial techniques that will help you in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this relationship healthy for me? [ 6 Answers ]

I have known my boyfriend for quite sometime, and about 8 months ago we started dating. We moved in with each other a few months ago, and about a month ago he asked me to marry him and I immediately said yes. Unfortunately things are compiling and now I am starting to question if it is the healthy...

A terrible event that has changed our relationship && love [ 1 Answers ]

I am a teenage girl and my boyfriend is 17 and we have been going out for about 6 months and are both very much in love for the first time he is the first guy I have ever loved and I am the only girl he has ever loved this much. We recently about a month ago had a fall out because of problems he...

Money issue in relationship [ 11 Answers ]

I am in this relationship since 2003. We broke up for half a year because he wasn't sure I am the one for him. He had been looking for relationship for half a year from on-line dating sites after we broke up. But he can't find any good match, so he asked me to forgive him what he had done and go...

How do you define a healthy relationship? [ 14 Answers ]

What kind of qualities define a healthy relationship?

Is this relationship healthy? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a mother of a 14 month old daughter. I work full time as a therapist. During my time at work my mother cares for my daughter half-the-week and my mother-in-law the other half. They both watch my daughter in our home. I very much want my daughter to have a good relationship with both sets...

View more questions Search