Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lucanaut Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2005, 08:28 AM
    How many names on the deed?
    Hello,
    I have a question: I am building a new home in Texas where my fiancé and I plan on living (and we plan on getting married in about a year).

Since my credit and my salary is better than hers, I am the only one on the mortgage, but now the question is what names to put on the deed. In terms of payment, unofficially I will be paying the mortgage (principal + interest) every month and she will be paying the homeowner's insurance/flood insurance/taxes portion of it (which is severall hundred dollars less than my part). Also the downpayment + closing costs is all coming from me.

We were not sure if there are any benefits either way in terms of one name vs. two names, in terms of credit for future purchases, taxes etc...

Thanks
    Lucanaut
    HANK Posts: 98, Reputation: 5

Jun 8, 2005, 09:44 AM
    Beware:
    I wouldn't put her name on anything until you're married for obvious reasons.

HANK :D
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2005, 08:05 AM
    Deeds
    Hi,
    After you are married, both you and your wife's name should be on your deed to your house and property.
    If one of you should die after marriage, the State can take over your property, settle your estate, and decide what to do with it.
    If both your names are not on the deed after marriage, BE SURE both of you have valid Last Will and Testaments, naming the other as the beneficiary of your property.
    In that way, there is no question as to who inherits the property.
    It is really better to have both names on the Deed; listed as "John and/or Mary or right of survivorship."
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    HANK Posts: 98, Reputation: 5

Jun 20, 2005, 04:28 AM
    Put your personal and real estate assets in JOINT TENANCY. This is all that's needed if you don't have wills. No probate is needed as well.

HANK :)
    tamme Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2009, 06:56 AM

Her name should be on the deed from the beginning your building a future together. Plus my gosh she is paying the tax and insurance it is not about how much each pays. It is about the fact that this is both of yours together.
    Is this a joint venture ?
    If this is your dwelling and your not in it together you need to pay for EVERYTHING.
    One other point if you have the latter perspective then you shouldn't marry or live with her.
    Bottom line: Where is the relationship and where is it going. Houses and material things are just details... Do you love her?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Correct Deed Needed to Transfer Names [ 7 Answers ]

We live in Texas and I recently married and we are trying to change the deed currently on file. My husband and his mom are on the deed to the property we are living on. This property is fully paid for so there is no lien on it. Which deed would be the correct one to use to take off his mom's...

Changing last names [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know how I would go about legally changing the last names of my husband, two kids and myself to my maiden name.

Names [ 2 Answers ]

Could you please tell me the meaning of the name "jonathan" and "joanna"

View more questions Search