Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monali Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Learning Difficulty
    Hi,
    My daughter is 10years. She was born with some problems for which she had to undergo some surgeries as an infant but she is a healthy child. But she cannot cope up with the regular mainsteam education. She has been detained twice with the hope that she will be able to cope but, in vain. She seems to be having no confidence and is sad all the time.
    She has been diagnoised as having a global learning difficulty with boderline intelligence .
    My questions are:
    Are there special schools for such children?
    Should she continue with her normal education?
    How can I help my child to be self confident and be happy?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 13, 2007, 08:49 PM
    If she attends a public school in the U.S. there should be all kinds of help for her, including tutoring and even a special classroom. If she attends a parochial school, talk with her teacher about tutoring and how to make school more comfortable for her.

Schools do their best nowadays to mainstream disabled students, but there are many social service agencies that can help you and her.
    RSM Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

Jun 17, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Who "diagnosed" her? The school? An outside provider. It seems odd that if a school evaluated her, that she is not already receiving special education services. More information would be helpful.
    CRAZYSPIKES27 Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Sep 19, 2007, 02:20 AM
    Maybe try a school that she will feel more confident in and happy
    Maybe homeschool
    RSM Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

Sep 19, 2007, 03:26 AM
    Hello,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing such difficulty with your daughter's education. First of all, I would not allow any further retention. Getting the same curriculum over and over again is not helping her and will further impact on her self esteem as she sees her same age peers graduating while she must continue in school. She will also end up spending time with a group of much younger children which is not helpful socially or developmentally. The literature shows that retention is often not helpful. With regard to her placement, public schools by law must offer a continuum of services in order to meet your daughter's needs ranging from general education classes with support to an out of district placement in an appropriate private school. They will also be able to help you with the transition from school to work and connect you with public agencies designed to support your daughter into adulthood such as vocational rehab. Is your daughter classified as a special education student? If so, you should be working with her case manager and child study team to find an appropriate program for her. If they are not cooperative you may exercise procedural safeguards in special education law to get them to provide the necessary services to help your child. If she is not a special education student, you should referral her for assessment. You do this by simply writing a letter to your department of special services in the school where she attends referring your child for special education services.

RSM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Don't know artist or song title (high difficulty!) [ 15 Answers ]

I was shopping at a drug store and this song started playing. The funny thing is it got me thinking about another song I remember hearing a long time ago. Must have been between 1994-1998. The rock and roll tempo and instruments felt very much like Bruce Springsteen, but I don't think he was the...

Difficulty in breathing [ 10 Answers ]

I smoke, and drink large amounts of caffine. At night when I am trying to drift off to sleep I have a terrifying feeling.. on and off for the first hour, it feels like no air is going in my lungs and it feels like my heart stops for around 3 seconds, in response to this horrible feeling I gasp...

Difficulty with bowel movements [ 2 Answers ]

We adopted a cat, Scout, about a month ago and she's wonderful. The problem is that she seems to hold her bowel movements as long as possible (several days at a time). She urinates regularly. We're unclear as to whether this is intentional on her part or whether she is simply perpetually...

Difficulty swallowing, nausea & then irregular vomiting in the evenings [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 44 year old female who has been having difficulty swallowing for severel months. It's not a problem of swallowing food, just normal swallowing which generally starts in the evenings. The difficulty in swallowing usually accompanies becoming nauseous. In the last several weeks I've vomited...

Difficulty of BackTuck and Front Flip [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out what is physically more difficult, a standing back tuck (back flip) or a standing front tuck (front flip). If you answer this question, please answer why.

View more questions Search