Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    olivejuice Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2005, 12:00 PM
    Installing a PVC shower drain to cast iron
    Hi -
    I was wondering if you could tell me what type of adhesive I would need to attach my PVC drain to the cast iron pipe, below the shower. I have no plumbing experience and am trying to do this myself to save some $.

Thanks! :)

OJ Bean
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 7, 2005, 01:17 PM
    Try a trip to...
    Quote Originally Posted by olivejuice
    Hi -
    I was wondering if you could tell me what type of adhesive I would need to attach my PVC drain to the cast iron pipe, below the shower. I have no plumbing experience and am trying to do this myself to save some $.

Thanks!! :)

OJ Bean
    ... your best hardware store for a PVC to cast iron transition. Otherwise, look to Home Depot (or like stores) for a Fernco (trade name) fitting. These are quite universal and are usually found at the end of the plumbing aisle.

Jun 7, 2005, 01:31 PM
    Thanks! There's a copper nipple (not sure what this is called) already attached to the cast iron pipe. The old sautering is still on this and I can't get a good connection with it there. How do I remove the old sautering and do I somehow remove the copper nipple or reattach a 2 in. copper piece to the nipple, then put on the Fernco fitting? :confused:

Thanks for your help on this!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2005, 01:55 PM
    The fewer joints the better. Unless the copper fitting has a thread you could connect the PVC to, and has a leak tight seal to the cast iron, I would get rid of it. I think you can pick up a propane torch at any hardware or even Wal-Mart for about $10. You get a head that screws on and a small cylinder of propane to fit it. Heat the soldered joint and pull it apart. You will need to hold the copper pipe with a pair of pliers. Then use enough PVC and the coupling to attach directly to the cast iron.

If you are living in an older home on a limited budget, you will find a use for the torch now and then.

Jun 7, 2005, 02:00 PM
    Great, thank you *so* much! :) Will give that a try this week and let you know how I make out!

OJ Bean
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 8, 2005, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by olivejuice
    Thanks! There's a copper nipple (not sure what this is called) already attached to the cast iron pipe. The old sautering is still on this and I can't get a good connection with it there. How do I remove the old sautering and do I somehow remove the copper nipple or reattach a 2 in. copper piece to the nipple, then put on the Fernco fitting? :confused:

Thanks for your help on this!!
    Labman advised you on removing the copper stub up. It's in the cast iron trap with a lead and okum poured joint. So you remove the raiser from the cast iron trap. Now what? Let me give you another option. Leave the copper raiser alone and install a WingTite Drain.
    http://www.plumbrite.com/?page=faqs&...357b13eaa0aea5

In paragraph two they explain about adapting to a 1 1/2 or 2" copper raiser.
    now click on "installation" to get instructions on its installation.
    Let us know what you decide. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron shower drain in concrete floor-replacement [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. This is my first post here and I'd appreciate any help you can provide. I have a tiled shower on a concrete slab. The drain is cast iron... sort of a bowl-shaped 3" dia. opening with a lead seal to a 2"-2 1/4" cast iron pipe. In removing the old "Premier" pull-up drain stopper, the brass...

Cast iron drain connection [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, we have a house built in the ealy 50's. We've torn out a small tiled shower and want to replace with a new one that doesn't leak. We have a 2" cast iron drain pipe sticking 1 1/2 inches above the house slab. What is the best way to connect a new two piece drain before we build or install new...

PVC to Cast Iron Drain Mating [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to mate a new 2" PVC drain into an existing 3" cast iron bell that is part of the 4"` cast iron vent stack. The previous arrangement was 2" galvanised into the bell, sealed with oakum and lead. I looked at the Fernco thick rubber gaskets but the cast iron bell seems a bit out...

Cast iron or PVC waste/drain pipes? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I'm in the middle of a major remodel to my 1947 home, including adding a second story. We're trying to do everything top-notch, which leads me to the experts here. Here's my question: For the waste/drain pipes, I know we want to use cast iron in the drops between the floors (for...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search