Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amunoz_tico Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2005, 10:14 PM
    How can I know who deleted my email?
    HI.. I have a HOTMAIL's account and I don't know why I lost all the information (emails and contacts) :mad:

I think that someone've got accessed to my account from other computer and deleted all the information. :eek:

How can I know who deleted my info? Is there is a service where I could go and ask about it?

I supposed that I couldn't resolve this question, but I just wanted to ask.
    Thanks in advance. ;)
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2005, 12:22 AM
    I think the only thing you could do is ask Microsoft. Chances of them being able to help are very slim though. I doubt this is the kind of thing they record.
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

Jun 7, 2005, 03:28 AM
    Deleted
    Hey, they delete your mail after a certain amount of time and if you don't access your account for like 30 days they close it. Maybe that's what happened?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2005, 05:55 AM
    Email
    Hi,
    Free emails with Yahoo, MSN, and others, are deleted after a certain number of days with no activity.
    Also, if these sites decide to do a major "overhaul", or change some other things about the site, there is a good chance that you will lose email information. This does not happen every month, but does happen sometime!
    The only thing you can do is to set up a new email, if you wish to continue with web-based email; then be sure to visit your email about every 10 days at least.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    amunoz_tico Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2005, 02:00 PM
    OK - Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your quickly answers.

I access my account every day... but I don't understand why I lost all my data. I will try to send an email to Microsoft in order to explain the case.

Regards! :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 7, 2005, 06:11 PM
    It is possible that older e-mail was purged, but if you lost everything, including recent mail, then its probable that someone got your password. You should change it and your secret question immediately.

As to finding out who did it, the possibility is extremely slim. First you would need to serve a court order on Microsoft to find out all the IP addresses that access your account. Then you would have to find the ISPs that owned those IPs and subpeona their records to see if you can find the person who did it. But the likelihood it was someone who's PC was being hijacked for the purpose.

As for the sites losing data because of a "major overhaul", that is garbage. The companies have redundant servers and regular backups. The possibility of losing more than a few hours of stored mail is nil. Someone who claims to be A+ and Net+ certified should know that.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2005, 08:33 PM
    Exactly, losing your info from them updating the server is impossible, only possible if it all gets fried... sort of speak. They keep backups...
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2005, 04:43 AM
    I don't think it's a case of inactivity. That would either lock the account of remove certain email messages. It wouldn't remove the contacts as well.
    HANK Posts: 98, Reputation: 5

Jun 8, 2005, 09:55 AM
    Vigilance:
    You might keep an eye on people who use your computer. Change your password.

HANK :eek:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2005, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    Free emails with Yahoo, MSN, and others, are deleted after a certain number of days with no activity.
    Also, if these sites decide to do a major "overhaul", or change some other things about the site, there is a good chance that you will lose email information. This does not happen every month, but does happen sometime!
    fredg
    This is a load of garbage.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2005, 06:11 AM
    Email
    Hi,
    Need Karma sure needs some!
    This "expert" has never experienced a websites' reorganization, and I hope you never do.
    You can lose everything, or at the least, have half of it gone.
    Garbage?
    You really need to check your answers thoroughly before giving opinions.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    PS; That seems to be this "experts'" favorite word!
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2005, 06:14 AM
    Deleted Email
    Hi,
    Sending a message to Microsoft is like sending a message for water in the middle of the Sahara Desert.
    It's not going to happen; unless you are one of the very rare persons who get a reply.
    Your email is gone.
    It's very hard for someone to "hack" an email; you probably left your password lying around somewhere; or HotMail did a re-organization.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Aug 5, 2005, 07:02 AM
    Deleted E-mail
    Got to wade in here.Firstly no site just "loses" your messages.Sure,eventully it will go,if not used after a certain amount of time,but we're not talking days,or a few weeks here.If your space gets filled,I have 250mg with one of my accounts,and that's a huge amount,even with the few attachments I know I'm going to get from known sources.Only when your close to capacity will you get a warning telling YOU to delete some messages to make more space,or pay and upgrade to a higher amount.

As for "sending a message for water in the middle of the Sahara desert" as you say,true,Microsoft are a very busy company,but I can assure you,I've had replies,via e-mail,when asking nicely.A relative has even had an error message checked by Microsoft,and the reply came back within seconds.Whether she was lucky I don't know,but it DID happen.As a lot of experts know,I'm not a huge fan of Sir Bill's org,but I do give credit when it's due.

Major server overhauls can happen periodically,but they have BACKUP servers for the very thing you say happens.In other words,no fuss,no big deal,everyone is kept happy.Obviously,if a tornado,hurricane,or earthquake struck,that could pose a slight problem.But even then there are other alternatives to saving ALL data.

Finally,I've always found Need's answers to be reliable and sensible.

Nez.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2005, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Finally,I've always found Need's answers to be reliable and sensible.

Nez.
    Thank you. I'm blushing at this end.

Aug 6, 2005, 10:00 AM
    You really need to check your answers thoroughly before giving opinions.
    If this isn't the pot calling the kettle black!!

I wish I had a buck for every time Fredg didn't check an answer period, let alone thoroughly. Several volunteers here have told Fred this business about losing e-mail in a site reorg is garbage, yet Fred still persists in spreading this misinformation.

I agree with next, that I have found Needkarma's answer to be reliable and sensible. Much more so then I can say for Fred's answers.

Just to give an example of Fred's not checking answers here's one from another site:

Question:
    I have a multiuse printer/fax, etc. I tried to send a fax with a pink colored paper. The fax gave me an error message communications error. But I sent another fax with white paper and it went through fine. Does this mean that I can't send a fax with colored paper?

Fred's answer:
    The pink color developed a file that was too large to send.
    Faxing can be tricky from a computer, depending on what type of internet connection one has. Of course, Cable, DSL, etc, is faster, and can handle larger fax files.
    But, there is a point as to what that can handle also.

First, the asker was talking about faxing from an all-in-one not the computer. Second, you don't fax directly from a computer using DSL or cable. The internet doesn't enter into it. This is an example of Fred's checking answers.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2005, 11:00 AM
    Lost email
    Hi,
    It's amazing how a question gets completely lost in all the threads of praise/not praise!
    Wouldn't it be great to just answer questions?
    There are two or three who think only they have correct answers, and "heaven forbid" if someone has a different idea.
    This is a question/answer site; and should be used as such.
    fredg
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2005, 06:21 PM
    Hi,
    It's amazing how a question gets completely lost in all the threads of praise/not praise!!
    There are two or three who think only they have correct answers, and "heaven forbid" if someone has a different idea.
    fredg
    True, but not wrong answers and many posts following that answer defending it... If its wrong, learn from those that are right and stop defending wrong ones.

Aug 7, 2005, 05:00 AM
    Hi,
    It's amazing how a question gets completely lost in all the threads of praise/not praise!!
    fredg
    Answers can fall into 2 categories, statements of fact and opinions. With a statement of fact there is one correct answer. Two + Two = 4, if someone offers a different answer they are wrong and need to be corrected. The example I gave of your answer to the fax question is just such a statement of fact.

What amazes me here is that you still cling to this garbage about some others think they alone have the correct answers. When its you who so very rarely admits to being wrong even in the face of proof that you were. Did you ever apologize to person who posed that fax question for your error? The answer is no!

You are right that this is a Q&A site and should be used as such. But where you go wrong is that part of it being a Q&A site is that mistakes need to be corrected so the asker gets the best answers. I've tried to explain that to you many times over the years and you just won't get it.

If I make a mistake or someone comes up with a better answer/solution,I will thank them for it. Its more important to me that the correct info is given out. Obviously that's a secondary issue for you. We all make mistakes, the idea, as Briggs put it so well, is to learn from them. Defending a bad answer is not the way to go.

But I'm sure this is falling on deaf ears since you so can't believe you are wrong about anything. I make these remarks more to salve my own frustration at your obstinence then any real hope that you will finally learn. And also to warn others who might think to accept your uncorroborated answers.

Scott<>
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2005, 05:59 AM
    Email
    Hi,
    Learning is a two-way street...
    I learn new things every day, and look forward to the next day.
    A Positive Outlook with a desire to help others is the key... not a negative outlook with a desire to put down anyone who disagrees.
    fredg

Aug 7, 2005, 07:02 AM
    Hi,
    Learning is a two-way street.....
    I learn new things each and every day, and look forward to the next day.
    A Positive Outlook with a desire to help others is the key...not a negative outlook with a desire to put down anyone who disagrees.
    fredg
    Poor Fred, he talks about learning but ignores the lessons. He talks about not putting people down, but then goes ahead and does it. He talks about a desire to help others but shows a disdain for making sure the answers he gives are correct.

This has been the story of Fred since I encountered him on this and other Q&A boards. Actions speak louder than words and Fred's actions (as I've shown so many times) do not support the words he writes.

Until and unless Fred shows that he has learned some of the lessons that I and others have tried to teach him, he will have little, if any, respect of the other helpers here. Until he stops putting others down with allegations of egotism and other such characterisitics, until he show more care about the quality of his answers, until he shows humilty in accepting corrections when he errs, until he accepts that others know more about certain things then he does, until he changes his ways, he will not gain that respect.

Scott<>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deleted A Program I Need [ 10 Answers ]

Hi- I deleted this program from "Add and "Remove" programs--now nothing works right-- Program====C:\Progra~1\SYMANTEC\SYMEVNT.386 Please tell me how to add this back Thanks

Recovering deleted files [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way to recover files you deleted from the recycle bin?

Files That can't Be Deleted [ 2 Answers ]

There are certain files on my computer that I cannot delete, no matter how many times I try. When I try to delete them, a message pops up that says it cannot read the source file on the disk, or that it is an unspecified file. How can I get rid of these? :confused:

Retrieving file deleted from recycle bin. [ 18 Answers ]

I have accidentally deleted an important file from the recycle bin, and I have done a system restore , is there anyway that I can retrieve the file??

View more questions Search