Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FBeditor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Tense agreement
    WHICH IS CORRECT? (Watch the tense shift.)

"She sometimes needed reminders to keep the talk focused on the novel. Her art demonstrates her ability to reflect on fictional characters. Her self-portrait as a mouse is a dramatic composition, inspired by Despereaux." OR "She sometimes needed reminders to keep the talk focused on the novel. Her art demonstrated her ability to reflect on fictional characters. Her self-portrait as a mouse was a dramatic composition, inspired by Despereaux."

AND "She revels in the chance to interact with friends, but often needed reminders to stay on task." OR "She reveled in the chance to interact with friends, but often needed reminders to stay on task."

Help! I'm confused. In the first example, her self-portrait is still in existence, and we can talk about it. It doesn't exist in the past as do her actions in class. In the second example, it's a similar scenario in that she IS (and remains) a child whose personality revels in the chance to interact with friends, but the need for reminders existed in the past since it happened already and I'm reporting on its occurrence.
    Zayne S Halsall Posts: 71, Reputation: 5

Jun 22, 2008, 02:06 PM
    I think you are over-complicating things for yourself. Consider the fact that everything can be viewed as past tense, since the very act of reporting on it in the written word means it has already happened, and you'll see how simple it all is.
    FBeditor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Subject-verb tense agreement [ 3 Answers ]

Does the following sentence demonstrate correct tense agreement? "How many times has she told you that same old story?"

Mail Agreement [ 3 Answers ]

A company sends a customer a free sample of its product of the month with an enclosed brochure stating that if the customer doesn't return the stamped self-enclosed "rejection" notice, the customer will be obligated to accept and pay for each successive shipment of the product for the next eleven...

What is a Binder Agreement? [ 1 Answers ]

What are the legal ramifications of offering a policy through a binder agreement in terms of insurance contracts?

NEED HELP --Lease agreement [ 3 Answers ]

On April 18 I filled out an application for an apartment for June 1 and gave a $649 deposit to be held for last month rent. The next day they called and let me know I got the apartment. Since then I got back together with my girlfrend and moved back with her. I contacted the apartment company on...

Verb tense agreement [ 1 Answers ]

In this sentence: If you are a creative person by nature, or are interested in applying high-tech visual tools and programs to enchance your career, take a closer look at MU's graduate certificate and Master of Science in Multimedia Technology. Do we need the second are as in are interested.

View more questions Search