Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rlaracy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2005, 06:00 PM
    Leaking tiled shower seat
    A month ago, there was a leak from my second floor tiled shower into the first floor dining room. I had a tile guy come out. He thought it was the tile on the shower seat causing this. He replaced the tile. However, now it is no longer leaking into the first floor ceiling, but the water leaks down below the seat(I cut a hole in the wall behind the shower to look under the seat). When the shower is on and pointed towards the seat, water slowly leaks through the grout line where the vertical tiled portion of the seat meets the tiled shower floor.
    I don't see any cracks in the new grout he put in, but the grout is very soft and can scratched away easily. Is this something that I can remove the grout and regrout it or can I try putting silicone grout over the existing grout.
    Thanks.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 7, 2005, 06:16 AM
    Best to get the...
    Quote Originally Posted by rlaracy
    A month ago, there was a leak from my second floor tiled shower into the first floor dining room. I had a tile guy come out. He thought it was the tile on the shower seat causing this. He replaced the tile. However, now it is no longer leaking into the first floor ceiling, but the water leaks down below the seat(I cut a hole in the wall behind the shower to look under the seat). When the shower is on and pointed towards the seat, water slowly leaks through the grout line where the vertical tiled portion of the seat meets the tiled shower floor.
    I don't see any cracks in the new grout he put in, but the grout is very soft and can scratched away easily. Is this something that I can remove the grout and regrout it or can I try putting silicone grout over the existing grout.
    Thanks.
    ... leak sealed for the time being to prevent future serious damage (silicone grout) and when you have time (and are interested) redo the grout. Reason #2 to fix it now without re-grouting is so you might find the actual leak and make certain all damage resulting from it is located and repaired.

Jun 7, 2005, 12:49 PM
    Thank you. When I go to re-grout it, what is the best way to take out the existing grout, (ie hammer and screwdriver?).

Jun 7, 2005, 01:10 PM
    Certainly is the...
    Thank you. When I go to re-grout it, what is the best way to take out the existing grout, (ie hammer and screwdriver?).
    ... fastest way to slip and break tile! I might do it for a few tile, but if you are going to redo all the existing grout invest in (or borrow) a Dremel tool and a bit made just for grinding the grout away. If you are an artist and have plenty of patience, a hammer and screwdriver will work but I don't recommend it except for small patchwork. There are also tools made for this that are not costly but require some elbow grease. Try a nearby hardware store.

Jun 7, 2005, 06:20 PM
    Thanks. Does sealing grout with a grout sealer actually waterproof the grout(I thought grout was water proof) or does it prevent the grout from staining in the future.

Jun 7, 2005, 06:22 PM
    A little of...
    Thanks. Does sealing grout with a grout sealer actually waterproof the grout(I thought grout was water proof) or does it prevent the grout from staining in the future.
    ... both. Waterproofing against stains also prevents water from reaching past the stain into the grout and past the tile.

Jun 8, 2005, 06:51 PM
    I just bought Stone Tech Professional Grout Sealer. How many applications should I put on and how long between each applications should I wait. Should I seal the floor grout.
    Also , is there such thing as clear silicone grout? I heard about using clear silicone to patch any areas that still leak. Is is grout or caulk?

Jun 8, 2005, 08:04 PM
    Put down two...
    I just bought Stone Tech Professional Grout Sealer. How many applications should I put on and how long between each applications should I wait. Should I seal the floor grout.
    Also , is there such thing as clear silicone grout? I heard about using clear silicone to patch any areas that still leak. Is is grout or caulk?
    ... allowing 24 hours between applications. You are referring to clear silicon caulk. Don't use this on the grout before applying the sealer. The chemistry of the sealer may be made ineffective by it. Apply it after the sealer dries if you need to.
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Jun 11, 2005, 07:05 PM
    From my understanding of things cement grouts are not waterproof. Therefore, people install vapor barriers behind the cement board or whatever the tile is stuck to in order to direct the water into the shower pan of the tiled shower floor. Check out the forums at johnbridge.com they have experts on this over there.

Don't feel bad about this many "tile" people make this kind of mistake all the time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower pan leaking [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Our shower pan has failed for the second time. We thought the detailed construction this second time would prevent a repeat of the failure. It has not: The Shower was built over 2x4 studs, cement slab, concrete backboard (over 1 foot tall) nailed to studs. A rubberized sheet (unknown...

Shower pan leaking ? [ 3 Answers ]

This may sound like a dumb question, but I am a first-time home owner and I'm not sure who to call about a leak in my shower. I'm pretty sure it is the shower pan that is leaking. Do I call a plumber first? Or a contracter? I'm confused. Please help. Thanks.

Leaking Tiled Shower Stall Floor Drain... [ 1 Answers ]

We had our shower stall replaced in 1998 due to the pan beneath the tile leaking... a new liner and re-tile job was done... well, now there is a wet spot below in the same spot and after opening the ceiling, I find that the plastic fitting going into the plastic floor hub is leaking. Looks like the...

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

Leaking Shower [ 4 Answers ]

My upstairs shower drain leaks such that if I use it, water comes out of a can light in my living room. The shower base is a mustee. The drain is molded into the base and the pipe was held in by a rubber doughnut (compression fit). Not being able to find a new doughnut at the home depot and...

View more questions Search