Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2007, 07:50 PM
    Border Collie mix resists crate
    In compliance with site policy, I am answering this PM here.

Quote Originally Posted by mowgli
    We just got a puppy (Border Collie mix) from Save a Cat Save a dog a week back. He is 2 months old and the lady who we adopted him from, had about 12 dogs running wild in the backyard. We have tried to introduce him to the crate using all the methods listed for crate training. We've used toys, treats, feeding him inside the crate, but nothing seems to work. He hates it and will never go in there. Because of this we havent even started trying to get him house trained and he pees all the time and if we deprive him of water, drinks his own pee. We are at our wits end and have been running on less than 4 hrs sleep each night because he pees and whines constantly. Any help you can provide us on how to make the crate more likeable to him will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    I would suggest you start by reading through housebreaking and What does a puppy need in the sticky starting at What does https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

It sounds like you have tried many of the usual tricks of enticing a puppy into a crate. Try a small Kong with peanut butter in it. Any pet store will know what you are talking about. Skip their expensive Kong stuff. Regular peanut butter of aerosol cheese does fine. Let him lick a little of the peanut butter so he knows what you have. Then put him and it in the crate. Lay down in front of it as the sticky says. He may work on the peanut better until he falls asleep. The lay down in front of the crate has worked for us for so many puppies, I have lost count. Give it a night or 2 and see how it works.

I was very desperate the night I first tried it. I recently read Patricia McConell's The Other end of the Leash. She makes a big point of how we are hardwired to nurture out young, and how it transfers to puppies and other species. I went through many bad ''the puppy's first few nights. It has worked every time on a dozen or more puppies. It is possible, your puppy has been mistreated and it won't work with it. If after trying what I suggest a few night and it isn't working, post back and I will give you some other things to try.

Another thing is to give the puppy good leadership. I am top dog, and I have decided you are going to stay in the den. Here are some gentle ways of letting it know where it fits in the pack:

''Elevation for small puppies: Sit on the floor and gently put your hands around your pup's middle, below his front legs, and lift him up. He is facing you. Hold him for 15 seconds. Repeat until he no longer struggles. If he is past 10-12 weeks, lift his front feet off the ground, but don't pick him up.

Cradling for small puppies: Hold your puppy gently on his back, as you would cradle a small baby. If he struggles, hold him firmly until he quiets for 10-15 seconds. With larger pups, you can do this as your sit on the floor, with your pup between your legs.

Quiet lying down: Place your pup on the floor on his side, with all 4 legs pointing away from you. Use your hands on his neck/shoulder area and middle, to hold him in this position. When he is quiet, praise him. Lengthen the time that you keep him quietly in this position. When he accepts this position well, handle his paws and muzzle, while keeping him quiet.''

The quotes mean this isn't my original work. It is copied from my Puppy Raising Manual. I have long used these or minor variations of them, and they are very effective. You may want to give him a belly rub while he is on his back too. Helps bonding. There is a big difference between him rolling over and demanding a belly rub, and you choosing a time to roll him over and rub his belly. The latter cements your place as pack leader.

I want to thank you for adopting a mixed puppy. I will make an extra effort to do all I can to make it a successful adoption.
    mowgli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    In compliance with site policy, I am answering this PM here.

I would suggest you start by reading through housebreaking and What does a puppy need in the sticky starting at What does https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

It sounds like you have tried many of the usual tricks of enticing a puppy into a crate. Try a small Kong with peanut butter in it. Any pet store will know what you are talking about. Skip their expensive Kong stuff. Regular peanut butter of aerosol cheese does fine. Let him lick a little of the peanut butter so he knows what you have. Then put him and it in the crate. Lay down in front of it as the sticky says. He may work on the peanut better until he falls asleep. The lay down in front of the crate has worked for us for so many puppies, I have lost count. Give it a night or 2 and see how it works.

I was very desperate the night I first tried it. I recently read Patricia McConell's The Other end of the Leash. She makes a big point of how we are hardwired to nurture out young, and how it transfers to puppies and other species. I went through many bad ''the puppy's first few nights. It has worked every time on a dozen or more puppies. It is possible, your puppy has been mistreated and it won't work with it. If after trying what I suggest a few night and it isn't working, post back and I will give you some other things to try.

Another thing is to give the puppy good leadership. I am top dog, and I have decided you are going to stay in the den. Here are some gentle ways of letting it know where it fits in the pack:

''Elevation for small puppies: Sit on the floor and gently put your hands around your pup's middle, below his front legs, and lift him up. He is facing you. Hold him for 15 seconds. Repeat until he no longer struggles. If he is past 10-12 weeks, lift his front feet off the ground, but don't pick him up.

Cradling for small puppies: Hold your puppy gently on his back, as you would cradle a small baby. If he struggles, hold him firmly until he quiets for 10-15 seconds. With larger pups, you can do this as your sit on the floor, with your pup between your legs.

Quiet lying down: Place your pup on the floor on his side, with all 4 legs pointing away from you. Use your hands on his neck/shoulder area and middle, to hold him in this position. When he is quiet, praise him. Lengthen the time that you keep him quietly in this position. When he accepts this position well, handle his paws and muzzle, while keeping him quiet.''

The quotes mean this isn't my original work. It is copied from my Puppy Raising Manual. I have long used these or minor variations of them, and they are very effective. You may want to give him a belly rub while he is on his back too. Helps bonding. There is a big difference between him rolling over and demanding a belly rub, and you choosing a time to roll him over and rub his belly. The latter cements your place as pack leader.

I want to thank you for adopting a mixed puppy. I will make an extra effort to do all I can to make it a successful adoption.
    Thank you for your prompt reply. The kong is the only thing we haven't tried so far. He is very picky about the chew toys he likes and is busy with the toy only until we shut the crate door. He drops the toys and yelps and barks at us the whole time he is in there. Once again, Thanks for all your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Border Collie/Collie not eating [ 9 Answers ]

I thought I had entered this already but it never went in. Dog is a 13 and a half-year old Border Collie / Collie mix and she has suddenly stopped eating except selectively out of the hand. After a lot of battles with pills w gave up trying to give them - her slight heart problem now looks...

7 year old wonderful border collie has not eaten for days. [ 1 Answers ]

My border collie is 7 years old and all of a sudden acts like he has no will to live. He has not eaten anything for about 7 days. Not even things like pure tuna or hamburger which any dog would suck down so fast. He has lost a lot of weight and will only come to his name if you say it repeatily....

Border collie nightmare [ 3 Answers ]

My Border Collie,Hank, is a beautiful 3 year old male. We are his third home in 3 years and I see why. He's really too smart for his own good. He has escaped our yard several times, jumped through window screen, opened windows and the fridge, ripped apart a panel wall and eaten most of my window...

Pitt mix poops in crate everyday [ 7 Answers ]

:rolleyes: So, I have a 3 1/2 month old pitt bull mix puppy, Maddox. I have had him since he was 8 weeks, so about a month and a half. I got him from the local animal shelter. He has had a crate since the first day, but for about the first week, he slept in my bed with me. I realized that for...

Runny eye in Border Collie [ 1 Answers ]

My 8 yr old Border Colie has got a very runny eye (clear discharge) and some localised hair loss around the eye. I was hoping someone could help me regarding what the problem might be.

View more questions Search