Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hashman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2005, 10:45 AM
    Rain shower head & handheld shower head problem
    I have a shower with 2 pipes for showers heads (one on the wall in front, and one on a side wall). The wall in front has a rain shower head on it. The wall to the side has a hand held shower head attached. The pipe with the hand held shower attached has a push button valve to turn the handheld on and off. When it is on, the rain shower head continues to operate.

I have 2 problems.
    First, the rain shower head is shooting water out of the seam where it appears the bottom half of the shower head meets the top half of the shower head. If you were looking at if from above, the water shoots out from the perimeter of the shower head, not where the shower head screws onto the pipe. Any thoughts on how to resolve this? I have tried purchasing a new rain shower head and found the same problem with the new shower head. Could this be too much pressure?

Second problem, too little pressure in the hand held shower head. I've tried all the basics, of removing any low flow filter, and cleaning the shower head. Could this be related to too much pressure on the other shower head?
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 7, 2005, 07:39 AM
    Try turning the...
    Quote Originally Posted by hashman
    I have a shower with 2 pipes for showers heads (one on the wall in front, and one on a side wall). The wall in front has a rain shower head on it. The wall to the side has a hand held shower head attached. The pipe with the hand held shower attached has a push button valve to turn the handheld on and off. When it is on, the rain shower head continues to operate.

I have 2 problems.
    First, the rain shower head is shooting water out of the seam where it appears the bottom half of the shower head meets the top half of the shower head. If you were looking at if from above, the water shoots out from the perimeter of the shower head, not where the shower head screws onto the pipe. Any thoughts on how to resolve this? I have tried purchasing a new rain shower head and found the same problem with the new shower head. Could this be too much pressure?

Second problem, too little pressure in the hand held shower head. I've tried all the basics, of removing any low flow filter, and cleaning the shower head. Could this be related to too much pressure on the other shower head?
    ... handheld showerhead on and then the rain showerhead to see if this relieves the perimeter leak. If it does, then it sounds like excessive pressure that can be relieved by adding an inline shutoff/flow valve. As for the limited pressure on the handheld is it possible to exchange the rain with this one to see if the 2 problems follow the pipes? This will answer a lot of your questions. The handheld unit may 'suffer' from apparent low pressure caused by the design itself, else the pipe may be the culprit and may have a clog or mineral buildup at a sharp turn in the pipes.
    hashman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2005, 06:42 AM
    Got it!
    Removed the rain shower head and put it on the pipe where the handheld was connected, no issues, no leaks. Put the handheld on the pipe where the rainshower was and it still had a problem with poor pressure. So I cleaned then soaked the handheld in CLR overnight, then reattached it to it's original location. I also purchased a low flow device for the rain shower head and that resolved the excessive pressure causing the leaks along it's perimeter.

Thanks for the help!
    azuwan_h Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2011, 11:13 PM
    How much pressure required for rain shower head
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 5, 2011, 10:18 AM

Hi Azuwan_h...

Most homes have pressures between 40-75 PSI, but that isn't really what determines how a rain head shower head will work. Instead, here, you'll find that it is more so the VOLUME of water available to the shower valve/shower head that determines how well the rain shower head will work.

With most of the rain shower heads they are making today they have engineered them to operate with 40-75 PSI and with 1/2" copper pipes and they work pretty good, too.

With that being said, some of the older rain shower heads and even a few of the cheaper rain shower heads they still make today still need to have a 3/4" pipe supplied to the shower valve to make for a really useful shower head... ;)

Just make sure your rain shower head is rated for 1/2" pipe and be sure to leave the water flow restrictor in place as it is part of the engineering that allows it to look like you have high volume water available... even if you don't!

Hope that helps...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower head [ 1 Answers ]

What type or brand of shower head will increase pressure. I have good pressure to the head but the original and the replacement I bought seem to reduce the pressure greatly. They both were not stopped up but just don't seem to have enough pressure. Thanks

Hot water in the shower until shower head installed [ 6 Answers ]

I have hot water in all my other faucets/showers. I also have hot water at the particular shower with the problem as long as a shower head is not installed. When I install the shower head, the water is lukewarm. Any ideas for the source of the problem, and how to fix?

Shower Pipe Drips When Shower Head is Removed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I keep buying new hand held showers heads that leak from the hose. I buy Delta brand. After I installed a new one yesterday, it started leaking from the hose again. Today I took off the entire shower head and see that from the pipe that comes out from the wall, it drips water at a pretty...

Removing Old Shower Head [ 1 Answers ]

Help! I want to put a hand held shower head on my boys tub and I CANNOT get the old shower head off! I think they must have used some powerful stuff to hold it on. I have tried using two pipe wrenches and twisting in opposite ways, I've tried putting CRC lubricant on the threads, but try as I...

Best way to install fixed shower head and personal shower [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower setup. I want to install a fixed shower head as well as a hand held personal shower with hose. On the Kohler website they sell a diverter valve with some sort of backflow valve for this purpose. I have a friend who just had this done and he has no diverter valve just...

View more questions Search