Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    incognito Posts: 92, Reputation: 24

Jun 11, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Choosing a College Major
    Hello,
    I am in the process of transferring from a community college to a university to attain a bachelor degree.
    I chose to major in Marketing and after talking to various people: college counselors, parents, people who went to college and those that don't, I am completely unsure of myself right now.
    I have a strong interest in Marketing but I want to hear advice from people in that general field of work.
    What would be a good subject to Minor in? I was thinking English because it is a strong suit of mine and it would tie together with Marketing.
    Is the job outlook for Marketing majors strong? I was also thinking of "playing it safe" and Majoring in Business Administration.
    Advice from any and all with input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    luvmylab Posts: 90, Reputation: 7

Jun 12, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Here is what I tell all my students, It doesn't really matter what you major's in, it's how you sell yourself on paper and in an interview. You could have a MBA but if you can't sell yourself in that field then that degree does not help you at all.

I have several friends who majored in Marketing and because they did not do internships they are having trouble finding jobs in their field. If you want to do marketing I would suggest that you work on getting internships in your field ASAP and start getting experience. I got my first job because I did an internship in the field.

I think a minor in English would help you in your field it will show employers that you can read and write well.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2007, 11:51 AM
    I think Marketing is a great major, you have a concerntration compared with Business Administration. BA is a safe play but too many people have this major. Too many, they are not standing out any more! I like my majors and the harder you work the more company appreciates you. Do an intern with a global 500 if you can with marketing, and then you will decide if you should get an MBA or not.
    In a word, marketing is better than BA.
    By the way, if you are a billingual, it's a plus for your marketing major.;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Excelsior College a real college? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, if someone can please help me and let me know if Excelsior College's distance learning program is legally accredited, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to get a BS degree in Computer Information System through distance learning. I found that Excelsior College is perfect for this,...

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

I don't know what I am supposed to major in at college [ 14 Answers ]

Ok so this is my question what am I supposed to major in at college if I want to be an obstetrician/gynecologist??

Depressed 21 why.o. Trapped in college major. Feels meaningless. Thought of suicide [ 8 Answers ]

Basically I got in nyu. Chose business as a major because I was unsure what to do. I'm a junior now and am just as miserable in the business classes as I was freshman year. I did so bad freshman year in business that I could not switch majors. I was trapped. Its sooooo outside my skill set. I have...

Choosing parents [ 2 Answers ]

How old do you have to be to choose what parent you live with

View more questions Search