Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MRough Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Family Member Won't Move Out
    My aunt owns her home. While she is not currently living there, she is helping her nephew out by letting him stay until he gets on his feet. There is no legal agreement (paperwork)... it was a verbal understanding, and when he moved in it was under the understanding that it was NOT permanent, and when she was ready to move back in, he was to leave. He doesn't pay full rent, just some rent and utilities on occasion. She is ready to get back into her home, but now he won't leave. He is saying he has 30 days to move, even though she asked him to leave over 2 months ago, and then again 1 week ago. How does she get him out? Does she have to take legal action? Does he REALLY get 30 days?
    Thanks in advance.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 11, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Since he has paid rent he is a legal tenant. So yes, she must give him 30 days written notice. If he still doesn't leave then she has to file a lawsuit for eviction.
    MRough Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 07:34 PM
    Also, does it matter what state we are in? Are the laws different? We are in Texas.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2007, 05:12 AM
    Hello M:

In terms of legally defining a tenant and giving your tenant 30 day notice, NO it does not matter what state you're in. These laws are all the same.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction of family member [ 6 Answers ]

Can a family member (21 years old) be evicted from home (Virginia)... not contributing to the household, unemployed, not looking for work, stealing from the house.

? About getting a family member to move [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, My husband and I live in a single family home that is owned by his mother. She lives in an inlaw apartment over the garage. We pay her rent to live here. My husbands sister lives in the basement which is finished off and is supposed to be paying rent. Since my husband's father passed away...

Eviction of family member [ 2 Answers ]

I have a nephew who has lived his whole life in my house. A few years ago he asked to move into the basement apt, agreeing to help with the bills by paying a certain amount monthly (no written agreement). He moved his girlfriend in about 1 year after moving downstairs, things were fine until...

Family Member Eviction [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all. I have POA for my grandfathers affairs. I also have taken over ownership and the mortgage for his home which all my siblings grew up in. My younger brother has lived in the home for quite some time, but has never paid rent or any utilities, just taking care of our grandfather. He has...

How to evict a Family member [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Im my mother's power of attorney. My 28 year old nephew (deceased brother's son) is refusing to pay room and board to my 80 year old mother. He only works part time . And rarely does anything for her. Im concerned for her safety . His mother ( ex sister-inlaw) and most of her family are...

View more questions Search