Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Highway Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Jun 11, 2007, 03:38 PM
    100 yr old metal roof
    Hi Folks - I have a 100 year old metal roof. It's rusty but the metal is thicker than what they use now and there are no holes or areas where the rust is by any means close to eating through the metal. I have been told by a few roofers that I need a whole new roof. I thought there might be a product now that you can spray on - like tar or silicone or epoxy or special "paint" (I'm wildly guessing what the substance might be) - that would seal the roof and stop the rust in it's tracks and maybe even last for quite a few years. Does anyone know of a product like that for a rusting metal roof? And a company that might do the work if I'm unable to do it myself? (I'm in southern Ontario, Canada). I really appreciate this site and all you kind souls who help.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jun 11, 2007, 05:01 PM
    Ok , Yes They Do Make Such A Paint. I Don't Know The Name Of It But If You Were To Ask Any Paint Department Theyd Know. I Used This Stuff On A Commercial Building That Had The Same Problem Yours Does, We Used Really Thick Roller Naps. This Stuff Comes In 5 Gallon Drums. And Its Not Cheap, I Think We Paid $85 For The 5gallons. But It Worked Great. It Silver If That Matters.
    I Don't Know If You Have A Sherwin Williams Up There Buy That Is Where We Bought It. I Do Know That Lowe's Carries This Also.
    This Stuff Also Acted Like A Sealer. If You Are Having Leaks Though Id Patch It Before You Roll This Stuff On There. The Name Cool Seal Comes To Mind But That Might Not Be It. Well Good Luck
    Highway Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Jun 11, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Thanks GLAVIN - you're a godsend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Metal and non metal temperature [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me why metals are or appear to be colder than non metals?

Metal Roof Construction [ 8 Answers ]

A contractor is putting on a metal roof for me but I have an issue I hope someone can answer I have a hip roof(4sided roof that meets as a common peak)... The metal where the roofs meet at each of the four corners have gaps running from the bottom of my roof to the top.. They say the ridge...

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

Metal Roof Valley Flashing [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to reroof over shingles with metal on a house that has 4 valleys. What is the best way to Flash the valleys and end the metal panels at the valleys. How far should the flashing extend under the panels? Should I use modified roofing under the metal in the valleys. How should I attach the...

View more questions Search