Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Civil Bear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2005, 05:33 PM
    Tapping PVC into existing Copper
    Hi There-

I am installing a new heat pump for my pool and have a question with the plumbing. I have an old gas heater that I would like to keep for standby that used 1" copper plumbing. Does anyone know how I can tap into the copper output line with the 1-1/2" PCV output line from the heat pump? I assume that I will also need to use some sort of 3-way valve as well.

TIA,

Civil Bear
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 7, 2005, 05:58 AM
    Your local hardware...
    Quote Originally Posted by Civil Bear
    Hi There-

I am installing a new heat pump for my pool and have a question with the plumbing. I have an old gas heater that I would like to keep for standby that used 1" copper plumbing. Does anyone know how I can tap into the copper output line with the 1-1/2" PCV output line from the heat pump? I assume that I will also need to use some sort of 3-way valve as well.

TIA,

Civil Bear
    ... store should carry a transition union that will adapt the plastic to a threaded copper pipe.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 8, 2005, 02:06 PM
    Hi There-

TIA,

Civil Bear
    Hi There-

TIA,

Civil Bear
    Hey Bear,
    To convert 1" copper to 1 1/2" PVC you will need to solder on a copper 1" male adapter to the copper and screw a PVC 1 1/2" slip to 1" female thread reducing coupling into it. You may now prime and glue the PVC pipe into the coupling and complete the conversion.

You will need more then a three way valve to to make this set up work.
    On the cold water supply install a tee with a shut off connecting the standby heater. Downstream from the tee install a inline shut off to the supply of the main heater. Now install a shut off on the hotwater outlet of the main heater followed by a tee and a shut off connecting to the standby. You may now shut off the two valves closest to the main heater taking it out of the loop and open up the two valves on the tees putting the standby heater on line.
    Sound like a plan? Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buy Another Car or Use Existing Car 'til It Runs No More [ 7 Answers ]

Please help me resolve a debate with my husband. I am a first time car owner. I bought a new Jeep in 8/04 for $23,600. I put $5K down on the purchase + my loan is for 60 months. I would like to trade in the liberty before it gets too old + has too many miles on it. Does it make better sense to...

Pre-existing condition [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was laid off his job in Feb. 2006. His insurance continued through the end of Feb. and then I added him to my insurance as of March 1st 2006. His doctor scheduled an endoscopie. It was done in May(under MY insurance). Because he had talked with his doctor about acid reflux in Jan. and...

Replacing existing shower set [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was a HomeDepot Expo today to buy new shower sets to replace the ones in our existing house (about 10 years old) and they told me something I wasn't sure was true. They said I should replace the old shower set (handles and shower head) with the same brand as the old one unless I planned to...

Tapping a gas line [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to tap into a gas line to tee off for another appliance? Two story house with the main living area upstairs. Garage is under the front half of the house, which is the living room and kitchen. Here's why I ask. My main gas line (3/4" black iron) travels across my garage ceiling...

View more questions Search