Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BLaQue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2007, 10:19 PM
    My pup swallowed a bone.wat do I do?
    OK... so my three month puppy swallowed a bone today from a beef rib. The bone was small but still... I didn't know he had the bone, because my dumb uncle gave it to him and by the time I realized it and tried to take it away, he swallowed it whole... now I'm scared, because he hasn't thrown up yet and I know it's going to be too big to com out in his bowel movements. Do I take him to the vet immediately, or do I wait it out... I'm so nervouse and afraid... even though he's just fine, still the playful pup... I know he has that bone in him.. so I can't sleep knowing this. Can soem1 give me some advice
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 10, 2007, 10:36 PM
    Call the vet and ask how you should handle this. Since a beef bone would show up on an x-ray, that will probably be the next step.
    puppylove21 Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

Jun 10, 2007, 11:30 PM
    I agree, make a vets appointment immediately.

I have to be so careful with my puppy (shes 4 months old) and bones. People leave them lying about on playing fields I walk her in. Don't ask me why! Lol

Twice she's got a small ish bone in her mouth, and Ive had to pull it out. The first time, a small piece broke off as I was pulling it out her mouth, so I had to get that bit out too. Good thing I noticed it!

The second time was yesterday, she made my finger bleed as I was removing it from her mouth!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2007, 04:03 AM
    I would just keep a close eye on him. Any sign of vomiting, diarrhea, blood in the stool, call the vet. There was a similar case recently at
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/o...vet-97281.html The best post was the last one.

Opinions vary, but I don't give my dogs bones at all. The large dog guide school I raise puppies for forbids giving them bones. Dogs do just fine without them. No dog ever died from lack of bones to chew. Even the large, raw bones, some insist are safe, can be gnawed dow to where they can be swallowed. Bones lead to worn and broken teeth. My Aster is almost 14, and never had a real bone in her life. Her teeth are in excellent shape.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2007, 04:14 AM
    I agree with labman, bird bones should be an immediate concern, as they are fragile and holow and can pierce body tissues. However beef bones shouldn't be too much of a problem, they're solid.

The acid in his stomach will dissolve the calcium and will make it bendy and easier to pass. Monitor him as labman says but it shouldn't be an emergency situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy swallowed beefhide bone [ 2 Answers ]

My ten week old puppy was given a thin but long piece of beefhide and swallowed it after about 20-30 minutes of chewing on it. I am pretty sure that it was still quite big when it went down. Two hours later he vomitted. Should I take him to a vet? Is there anything they can even do? Or will he...

URGENT swallowed plastic polymer [ 2 Answers ]

My mini daschund may have swallowed a few tiny grains of plastic polymer. It's the type that looks like large grains of sugar. My brother uses them in science experiments and they absorb a ton of water. Should I call the vet right now? Take her in tomorrow? Wait to see if she is okay? Will they...

Bone dry [ 3 Answers ]

Tonight my boyfriend and I were having sex (he got me off before we did it so I would be lubed enough) and everything was going fine until I started to feel a burning/friction sensation. I then realized I was bone dry. I have no idea why this happened. I don't see how it could all just go away....

Bone Loss [ 1 Answers ]

I Have Between 70 & 90% Bone Loss. I Was Told That Anything Over 50% Can't Be Saved, Resulting In The Removal Of All Teeth. Is This True?

Pain in right pelvic bone [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I new to this MB. I hope someone can help me. I am a 45 year old female and have been having this intermittent pain in my right pelvic bone. It's a dull pain and it gets more painful when I move my my body. It feels like a my bone is breaking in half. Does any one out there...

View more questions Search