Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Standard/Mini Dachshunds
    From a PM:
    '' doglady

labman I'm new to this site but I was wondering if I could breed my miniature female daschund to my standard male daschund, and if so would she be able to have the pups okay or could this really hurt her? Please let me know as soon as you can. Thanks so much Doglady''

Yes, you are new.

1 Site policy discourages asking and answering questions by PM or email

2 It also discourages being nasty to people that ask about things you find irresponsible. How carefully did you check Labman's attitude toward breeding before sending him the PM? Some of the others here are more tactful, but many share my feelings.

Likely the only safe way to deliver such a litter would be C-section. That would be very expensive, killing the profits you may be hoping for.

Asking such a question tells me you haven't done the research that must be done to produce quality puppies. Have you even checked to find out the common genetic problems with Dachshunds and make sure both your dogs are free from them? Check what they say about breeding at American Kennel Club - akc.org. Check how any Dachshunds in your area need homes at Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten.. For more on breeding see Woodhaven Labradors Articles
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2007, 07:51 PM
    "doglady" , please do a daschund rescue search on petfinder.com and tell me if the world needs more daschunds in it or if we have enough poor homeless daschunds that are in need of loving homes and responsible owners. Also petfinder daschunds are just a drop in the bucket for daschund rescues... I am sure that there are 1000"s of them that are in need. If you will do the home work you will find this out. I hope that you do not intend to use these poor animals as profit and see fit to get at least the female spayed and hopefully the male as well. Plus (keep in mind the labor / delivery issue that Labmnan has stated above) Please go to a website that talks about the health benefits of spaying and neutering your pets it could be a matter of life and death for them. I hope that you are as devoted to them as I know they are to you. :)peace
    puppylove21 Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

Jun 10, 2007, 11:32 PM
    Poor miniature dachsund... thats all I can say about that :(
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2007, 10:21 AM
    I think someone was purposefully trying to get your goat labman. I don't think it was a serious inquiry at all. If they know enough to PM the Dog Expert, then they know who you are and have seen your posts on how you feel about breeding. If they are new to the site, they would have just posted on the board, not gone out of their way to PM you like that. This was someone's idea of a bad joke.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Standard of care vs standard of practice [ 3 Answers ]

In terms of medicine, what is the difference between the standard of care and the standard of practice?

Three Dachshunds and a lot of barking! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have always found help at this site (especially from Labman), and I'd like to ask another question that has become a major issue in our household. In two years our family has grown from my husband and I into us plus three dachshunds. We are a happy family of five with a very noisy...

Three dachshunds learning to get along [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question regarding my dachshund situation at home. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on getting three dachshunds to live in harmony. Two days ago we brought in a precious girl rescue dachshund to join our two boy dachshunds. The girl is about nine years old and is a...

Can ladybugs be poisonous to dachshunds? [ 4 Answers ]

My six-month old dachshund has vomited several times in the past day and a half. With the holiday, we weren't able to get into the vet until tomorrow. He is fine right now, but I just caught him eating a ladybug. Now he is coughing a bit and gagging a little. We've had quite a few of these...

Treats for 4 month old dachshunds [ 1 Answers ]

I have two 4 month old dachshunds, and I feed them 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening. I sometimes feed them a slice of apple in the afternoons, not everyday 3 or 4 times a week. Is there anything else in the way of people food that I can use as a treat. I'm not sure what is good for...

View more questions Search