Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pfc Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2003, 07:18 AM
    Freeing up phone line
    My grandson is saving for a computer this summer. They live in the country and do not have access to cable, so he would have to be connected through the phone line, which would tie it up. What is out there that he could purchase, to be able to use the computer without tying up the phone?

Thank you for any information you can provide.
    tototu Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Mar 23, 2003, 02:59 PM
    Freeing up phone line
    He can buy a modem that has incoming call identification. This will help receive calls but will do nothing for outbound puroposes.
    I would suggest getting satellite internet if it is available , but I suspect that is not an option due to the cost because he doesn't want to pay for a second dedicated phone line ;D ;D ;D
    pfc Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2003, 05:12 PM
    Freeing up phone line
    Thank you for your quick reply. It is much appreciated and I will relay the message to my grandson.
    jarrishtx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2011, 10:54 PM
    It sounds like you have assumed or been told some wrong information. The DSL internet will operate digitally while the older phone line (wires) operate in analog, all simultaneously. The only thing you will need is a DSL modem, which usually comes with a DSL Filter, or two. If not, you can purchase one or any amount at Radio Shack, if you don't mind the prices. Just make sure you follow the instructions that come with both items. A DSL filter MUST be installed on every item (like an answering machine) to prevent problems later on. Some people omit them, and wind up with many problems as a result. None of this is really espensive. The modem might cost $50 or so, but it will last a long time. Don't buy a used one from eBay or anywhere, as you will have problems, like I did. I wound up throwing the used modem in the trash and buying a new one. May the Lord give you the patience that such work requires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rewire from 2 phone lines back to one line [ 7 Answers ]

Added line 2 for dedicated dial-up line. Now have DSL & don't need both lines. However, line 2 is wired to room with computer & line 1 has DSL. Can I go to box outside & rewire line 2 with line 1 & put all jacks in the house On line 1? Hope you understand what I am asking. Any help would be...

Rewiring to make a single phone line [ 5 Answers ]

Presently I have two phone lines, my main one and a line for my computer. They are in two separate boxes outside. I would like to remove the additional line but don't want to pay the $85 or more to have a phone guy fix it up. I would just like all the phone lines to be for the primary line. If...

Neighbor stealing my phone line [ 12 Answers ]

I live in a trailer park, and realized someone that recently moved in some how is using my phone line is this illegal, they are making long distance calls,every time I'm using my phone I hear them picking up trying to use the phone which they don't pay for? Please someone help me how are they...

Rewire phone line [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am remodeling my garage into a living space. In order to add windows to my new living space I have to move the phone line in the wall. It goes through the middle of the proposed window. If I disconnect the line and move it down in the wall it will no longer reach the NID. It has to be...

Rewire second phone line to main [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a second phone line for my computer, I am dropping the second line and getting DSL. How do I rewire that second line to my main line? Thank you.

View more questions Search