Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luvmyhondas Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2005, 06:34 PM
    Braking problem on 91 Accord
    Hello all...

I'm having an intermitant brake problem.

Here's the problem, when I step down on the brake pedal - there's very little resistance i.e. the brake pedal easily goes to the floor... I am able to stop but something is wrong there.

Again, the problem is intermitant, when I'm not having the problem the brakes work fine. I drove around trying to get it to happen but it wouldn't. The hand brake seems to be working normally also.

The brake fluid level looks good, and I don't see any fluid on my driveway.

Any ideas?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2005, 07:47 PM
    Likely the rubber cups in the master cylinder are cracked or worn. You need to rebuild it or replace it. The rubber parts of the brakes system do not last forever. If you haven't before, next lining change it would be good to rebuild or replace the calipers and wheel cylinders. Doing so prevents problems in a system you can't afford problems. It also slowly replaces the old brake fluid long before it becomes a problem.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jun 3, 2005, 12:25 AM
    I had a similar problem on my Civic. Sometimes the brake would work fine, but sometimes when I step on the pedal, it would start breaking, and then gradually start "falling through" to the floor. Eventually it would stop breaking.

Problem was solved by bleeding the brakes.
    luvmyhondas Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2005, 12:54 PM
    Thanks guys...

Had master cylinder replaced. All is well now...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

99 Accord Power Problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new battery (and tried 2nd one)... Car won't start, won't crank, nada. The dome light comes on (weak) & idiot lights come on when turning ignition - but, again, are weak. Headlights don't come on. Having tried/checked voltage on 2 batteries - I know that there is juice. I've...

I have a funny problem with my accord [ 1 Answers ]

Ok... For a while(2 months) I thought I had a fuel pump or main relay problem because of my car not starting. The main reason I was sure about that was because the car never cut off on me at night or in the morning.. only around noon and when its hot. Well, yesterday around 8:00 eastern time it...

View more questions Search