Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wvumountee Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2005, 12:11 PM
    XP Pro Profile Sharing
    I have Windows XP Pro and I am working on a network. I am wanting to have 2 user accounts each sharing a profile (this step I am pretty sure I completed). The tricky thing I am trying to do is that when I logon while off the network Windows XP will automatically detect that I am not on the network and therefore quit searching for the network drives.

Without doing this it takes forever for the computer to recognize the drive letters and when it does you still can't even access the drives. So is there a way to have Windows XP not look for the network drives but still have the same background and saved files that my computer at work has?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2005, 05:18 AM
    What about mapping a drive letter to your drives and putting a shortcut on your Desktop?

http://uis.georgetown.edu/software/d...ing.drive.html
    wvumountee Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2005, 10:31 AM
    No. I don't want the drives to even be read when the computer boots up. It will be the same user name and password, I just want the computer to automatically detect when I am not on the network. Subsequently, if the computer detects I am not on the network it will not search for the network drives. This slows down the computer to a screeching halt if I try to save something or access My Computer.

Anyone got any ideas?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2005, 11:08 AM
    When you create the mapping you'll notice a checkbox that says "Reconnect at logon". Make sure that is unchecked. This way the mapping exists but XP does not try to search for it at logon, only when you first try to use it that session.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low profile p trap? [ 2 Answers ]

Has anybody seen one of these? I found them on a wholesaler web site but have not been able to find one at any retailers. Reason I"m looking for one is that I want to install a shower in an upstairs on 2 x 6 joists. The 2" p trap that I found at Home Depot needs about 8" to make it work. I...

Profile reset? [ 1 Answers ]

SOLVED I can't figure this out. One of my friends were on my computer a few days ago, when he finished, he shut it down. When I started it up, my proflile was... reset. For example, My active Desktop displays the screen it showed when I first installed Windows 2000 on it. My Mozilla Firefox...

What is a roaming profile? [ 1 Answers ]

What exactly is a "roaming profile?" I have 2 computers running XP Pro networked together via a wireless router. I want to set up Outlook so that I can download my email from either computer and see the same emails from both computers. Is is possible to do this without a server? Thanks,...

View more questions Search