Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

Jun 9, 2007, 10:06 PM
    I am afraid to death of Cock roaches!
    Hi Everyone,

I want to know if it is normal to be afraid of bugs such as roaches, I am 22. I am not afraid of much of anything as far as heights, animals, needles, spiders, snakes, bugs, dark closed spaces, roller coasters, etc.. Well actually I am a tiny bit afraid of closed in elevators by myself but not much to count because I go in them all the time but... I am very afraid of large roaches, cock roaches, water bugs and/or flying roaches. None has ever got on me but if it does happen I don't know what would happen, I have had a few close calls. For example one time while my husband was driving and I was in the passenger side a roach flew in the window on my side and I screamed and jumped in the back seat. I kept screaming and I had my head down and told my husband to pull over immediately. He pulled over and we tried to find it and we couldn't, it was dark too. My husband opened the doors and windows while I stayed many feet back and tried to find it but couldn't. After 10 minutes my husband said that it is NOT in the car because he looked everywhere and under the mats and so he told me that it must have got out. I told him that I would walk home and he said no and to get in the car. I told him that the roach could not have got out, etc, etc. I got in the car after actually getting up the courage to inspect the car and didn't see it anywhere but it was a little dark even with the interior lights on. I got in the back seat behind my husband, where as the roach was in the front seat opposite side and we drove home. The next time I saw another large roach, I don't know what kind it was in my home. We don't have roaches and we use pest controls more frequently then needed but once in a blue moon I will see a cock roach in my house.. We were all playing poker and a roach fell from the ceiling onto one of my husband's friends lap. I saw it fall from the corner of my eyes real fast and land on his lap, I didn't freak out because it was about 10-15 feet away and I was probably not scared because I was not secluded with the roach. I still felt uneasy and I was saying kill it kill it. Anyway my husbands friend did not freak out at all and was calm as day. He even removed the roach with his fingers. I would have died if a roach would have landed on me and I wouldn't have set there calm like he did. Is it normal being this afraid of cock roaches? Every time one gets near me I freak out and I stay nervous and shaky for several minutes or a few hours after it is gone. I am actually dredding the day one does get on me because I no that I will freak out and I don't want to be that afraid. Is there any treatments for this, or can hypotism work? Thanks for any comments or advice!
    modular01 Posts: 129, Reputation: 36

Jun 9, 2007, 10:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brandy681
    Hi Everyone,

I want to know if it is normal to be afraid of bugs such as roaches, I am 22. I am not afraid of much of anything as far as heights, animals, needles, spiders, snakes, bugs, dark closed spaces, roller coasters, etc .. Well actually I am a tiny bit afraid of closed in elevators by myself but not much to count because I go in them all the time but.... I am very afraid of large roaches, cock roaches, water bugs and/or flying roaches. None has ever got on me but if it does happen I don't know what would happen, I have had a few close calls. For example one time while my husband was driving and I was in the passenger side a roach flew in the window on my side and I screamed and jumped in the back seat. I kept screaming and I had my head down and told my husband to pull over immediately. He pulled over and we tried to find it and we couldn't, it was dark too. My husband opened the doors and windows while I stayed many feet back and tried to find it but couldn't. After 10 minutes my husband said that it is NOT in the car because he looked everywhere and under the mats and so he told me that it must have got out. I told him that I would walk home and he said no and to get in the car. I told him that the roach could not have got out, etc, etc. I got in the car after actually getting up the courage to inspect the car and didn't see it anywhere but it was a little dark even with the interior lights on. I got in the back seat behind my husband, where as the roach was in the front seat opposite side and we drove home. The next time I saw another large roach, I don't know what kind it was in my home. We don't have roaches and we use pest controls more frequently then needed but once in a blue moon I will see a cock roach in my house.. We were all playing poker and a roach fell from the ceiling onto one of my husband's friends lap. I saw it fall from the corner of my eyes real fast and land on his lap, I didn't freak out because it was about 10-15 feet away and I was probably not scared because I was not secluded with the roach. I still felt uneasy and I was saying kill it kill it. Anyway my husbands friend did not freak out at all and was calm as day. He even removed the roach with his fingers. I would have died if a roach would have landed on me and I wouldn't have set there calm like he did. Is it normal being this afraid of cock roaches?? Everytime one gets near me I freak out and I stay nervous and shaky for several minutes or a few hours after it is gone. I am actually dredding the day one does get on me because I no that i will freak out and I don't want to be that afraid. Is there any treatments for this, or can hypotism work? Thanks for any comments or advice!!
    It is relatively common to have fears and phobias. It doesn't make you a freak. Heck, I get extremely creeped out by spiders, and I have a HUGE fear of heights (enough to have a panic attack being on a high rung ladder or rooftop) but I love roller coasters (I know, explain that one to me, because I can't).

There is one bit of advice on phobias that I can give you. You can either try and control them, or let them control you. I've learned that the latter of the two will just make life harder for you. I'm not sure if hypnotism would work but maybe someone else on here can provide some insight into that for you.

Good luck with the phobia. I know exactly how you feel.
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

Jun 9, 2007, 10:36 PM
    Thanks for your advice, I am actually trying to do some research because I am one that doesn't like to be afraid of things. I was actually afraid of roller coasters for a long long time until I made myself go on one after a friend went with me. I would sit and look at the roller coasters at Six Flags for hours but wouldn't go on them, I didn't mind regular roller coasters but I was afraid of the ones that went upside down. After finally going on it when I was 14 I have not been afraid since and I love them.. I was angry at myself for being afraid because it was nothing and I was afraid for years for no reason at all. I missed out on the rides for years being afraid. I guess what made me afraid what not knowing what to expect.

That has always been my main fear is not knowing what to expect with most things. Another time when I was 17 I had to go to the hospital for a x-ray, the one where the inject you with dye. The doctor told me that it may be painful and I would have side effects immediately being injected I would feel hot all over and would feel dizzy and I like I peed in my pants, and would have a metallic taste in my mouth. She also made me sign a form saying that I may develop a rash or cardiac problems. Anyway she injected me through the IV and sent me in the cat scan for a lung x-ray and this test was so easy. I didn't feel any pain at all and felt just a light taste in my mouth and warm sensation that lasted for about 5 seconds. After this I was fine but 1 day later I developed a weird rash, water blisters behind both ears that itched behind the ears. I never went to the doctor for it but it went away after a week or two. I was a little nervous when taking the test because of what the doctor and nurse told me about it being uncomfortable and possibly painful which was not true to me.

It seems like every time I go to the doctor or hospital they try to scare me into thinking that the tests they give me will be painful when they are not. Another time I went to the hospital and they put a cathader in me to draw urine, the doctor told me to relax and I may feel pressure but I felt nothing at all, not even a sting and the nurse was like wow. I guess I am really pain tollerant and I always relax when at the dr or hopital but roaches are my true weakness and I wish I could get over it. I used to have a slight fear of water because I couldn't swim and had bad experiences when I was little and almost drowned but I have conquered most of those fears. I went White Water Rafting also and I fell out of the boat, even though I had my life jacket on I felt helpless inside the water and so I do have a little fear of water still but not much. I am not afraid of heights much and I can climb a tall latter or tree with no problems but I do get a little nervous sometimes when riding on extremely tall parachutes because I cannot control it, the parachutes like at Six Flags with hardly no support on the seat or little or no back and espeiccially when they rock back and forth at so high up makes me queesy. Roller coasters and Ski lifts on the other hand are fine with me.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 9, 2007, 11:20 PM
    Spend some time thinking what don't you like about cockroaches. "I don't like them because...they skitter and move too fast so it's hard to track them down" or "I don't like them because they are ugly" or "I don't like cockroaches because they will hurt me" etc. Write down all the reasons you don't like cockroaches.

Now, do some research on cockroaches. They are very interesting, complex insects. For instance, they've been around since the beginning of time, and scientists believe cockroaches will "inherit the earth" if there is a nuclear war. Also, cockroaches can be found all over the world except at the poles. Wikipedia says, "Research has shown that group-based decision making is responsible for more complex behavior such as resource allocation. A study where 50 cockroaches were placed in a dish with three shelters with a capacity for 40 insects in each, the insects arranged themselves in two shelters with 25 insects in each, leaving the third shelter empty. When the capacity of the shelters was increased to more than 50 insects per shelter, all of the cockroaches arranged themselves in one shelter. Researchers found a balance between cooperation and competition exists in group decision-making behavior found in cockroaches."

Then be practical and secure your home. From Wikipedia, "Preventative measures include keeping all food stored away in sealed containers, using garbage cans with a tight lid, frequent cleaning in the kitchen, and regular vacuuming. Any water leaks, such as dripping taps, should also be repaired. It is also helpful to seal off any entry points, such as holes around baseboards, in between kitchen cabinets, pipes, doors, and windows with some steel wool or copper mesh and some cement, putty or silicone caulk."

In other words, learn all you can about your enemy. That will make cockroaches less scary.

(Now I should do the same thing regarding the creatures I can't stand -- house centipedes (thousand-leggers).
    MimiGirl Posts: 141, Reputation: 0

Apr 15, 2009, 08:00 AM

Hello,
    Iam having a bit of a problem with roaches at the moment..
    WONDERGIRL you mentioned the following:
    Any water leaks, such as dripping taps, should also be repaired. It is also helpful to seal off any entry points, such as holes around baseboards, in between kitchen cabinets, pipes, doors, and windows with some steel wool or copper mesh and some cement, putty or silicone caulk."
    My ac unit on the wall is leaking water through the kitchen cabinets why does this attract roaches? I lately have been seeing them not only in my closet but also in my bathroom-and its been daily and huge mama ones too..
    And brandy681, I understand exactly how you feel Iam paranoid BIG TIME with roaches.. I even have trouble with killing them even if Iam using a spray and at a distant from them.. If I see a roach I even have trouble sleeping (especially if I don't end up killing it and it runs away)
    I even freak out when its already dead and I have to pick it up to throw it away( I tend to think that it might all of the sudden wake up from the dead and crawl on me or something)
    I hate roaches with a passion and also get shacky and itchy.. You isn't alone in this...
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 15, 2009, 01:49 PM
    Brandy, you are an exterminator's dream customer. Yes, you are probably a little phobic about them, maybe even a little more than is good for you. Studying the object of your fear is helpful but roaches have been a competitor with us (Mankind) since we started keeping house. I don't know about hypnosis but you might try posting this question in the Health section to get some more advice on the phobia.
    merci1961 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2009, 09:06 AM
    From reading your statement about roaches, It sounds like you have an anxiety disorder called "phobia" to roaches. Phobias are one of the most common disorders in the population. It is not a severe disorder, but it produces severe dysphoria (Feeling terrible) about having the condition because of the loss of control and unpredictability of the encounter with the feared object, in your case "Roaches" The good news is that the condition is treatable, not with drugs, but with therapy with a reputable therapist. The use of therapeutic hypnosis or other treatment by a psychologist like cognitive therapy may be helpful. It is no fun to suffer do not wait long to get some help. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Afraid of getting pregnant [ 3 Answers ]

I am 57 and my periods stopped around 7 years ago but I'm still afraid of getting pregnant and so I take good care during intercourse. My question is if there is any chance of getting pregnant doing the full intercourse. Thanks

Death and credit card death. [ 3 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

Death and credit card death. [ 1 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

So afraid of loosin him [ 4 Answers ]

I'm so afraid of loosin my boyfrind of 1 year . He says I'm the onl girl he ever wants to be with but I don't know if I can believe him because I have so much bad luck with boys in the past. I'm nearly 18 and he's 20. I hate asking him all the time am I the only girl he's with... does this show I...

Overflow pipe/ ball cock [ 2 Answers ]

I have a expansion tank that overfills, I have manually adjusted the float valve i.e. bent the metal arm. Adjusted the height with the shut off valve and taken out water to reduce to new level yet it fills to 2/3 of way up the float and then overflows. Any suggestions as their does not appear to be...

View more questions Search