Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xIrishGirlx Posts: 62, Reputation: -1

Dec 14, 2012, 09:49 AM
    What Can I Make With These Ingredients?
    I want to cook something tonight for my boyfriend and I because I'm going away for a little while. I'm not much of a chef so, I'm hardly in the kitchen.

Problem is, I have VERY limited ingredients because I'm so broke. I have:

Chicken breasts
    Cream of mushroom soup
    Cream of chicken soup
    Salt, pepper, garlic powder
    Terriyaki sauce
    White rice
    Carrots
    Butter
    Barbecue sauce
    Ranch
    Cheese
    Au gratin potatoes

And that's about it in my kitchen. What dinner could I make that would be delicious and not call for anything outside my ingredients?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 09:53 AM
    Brown the chick breasts in butter and oil, place in a baking dish. Mix the cream of mushroom soup with half can of water or milk; salt pepper, garlic powder, bit if each, pour over chicken, grate some cheese on top, and bake for l-l/2 hours. Service over rice with some steamed carrots.

If you feel the chicken needs more moisture, use the chicken soup as well, and oh cover at first until the ingredients start to simmer in the oven. Remove the cover and let it brown before serving.

Any questions ?

Dec 14, 2012, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Brown the chick breasts in butter and oil, place in a baking dish. Mix the cream of mushroom soup with half can of water or milk; salt pepper, garlic powder, bit if each, pour over chicken, grate some cheese on top, and bake for l-l/2 hours. Service over rice with some steamed carrots.

If you feel the chicken needs more moisture, use the chicken soup as well, and oh cover at first until the ingredients start to simmer in the oven. Remove the cover and let it brown before serving.

Any questions ?
    I don't have oil but I do have butter, so I brown the chicken with that stovetop before putting it in the baking dish. Pour said ingredients over chicken, I only have provolone and swiss cheese that comes in slices can I just lay them over to bake?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 10:03 AM
    Are they boneless skinless chicken breasts?

Dec 14, 2012, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Are they boneless skinless chicken breasts?
    Oops, I forgot to mention that--yes!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 10:14 AM
    Do you have mayo, a can of parmesan cheese, and dried or fresh onion?

How many breasts?

Dec 14, 2012, 10:17 AM
    Do you have mayo, a can of parmesan cheese, and dried or fresh onion?

How many breasts?
    I have mayo and Parmesan, I don't have onion, and there are 4 breasts.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 10:33 AM
    It doesn't matter for my recipe, boneless, bone in, skin on (bone in means more flavour) and you can use any white cheese you have, but in moderation. Be careful browning in butter only. Do you have olive oil?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 10:35 AM
    Mix equal parts mayo (NOT Miracle Whip!) and parmesan, spread that mixture over the chicken breasts which you have put into a casserole dish or baking pan of some kind. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until the coating has become somewhat brown and puffy. The breasts will be moist and full of flavor. We call this "Puffy Chicken."

I'd cook the carrots in a pot, then drain off the water and add some butter and brown sugar, if you have it. No brown sugar? Skip the butter and just serve steamed or thoroughly cooked carrots.

Make the au gratin potatoes according to directions. If the oven temp is greatly different from the 350 for the chicken, make them in the microwave to cook them, then put them in the oven to brown the top slightly.

My mother would ask if you have a "cold, wet thing" to serve, like cranberry sauce or applesauce or Jello with fruit or a small salad of some kind. (According to her, every dinner needs a cold, wet thing.)

Dec 14, 2012, 10:47 AM
    Mix equal parts mayo (NOT Miracle Whip!) and parmesan, spread that mixture over the chicken breasts which you have put into a casserole dish or baking pan of some kind. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until the coating has become somewhat brown and puffy. The breasts will be moist and full of flavor. We call this "Puffy Chicken."

I'd cook the carrots in a pot, then drain off the water and add some butter and brown sugar, if you have it. No brown sugar? Skip the butter and just serve steamed or thoroughly cooked carrots.

Make the au gratin potatoes according to directions. If the oven temp is greatly different from the 350 for the chicken, make them in the microwave to cook them, then put them in the oven to brown the top slightly.

My mother would ask if you have a "cold, wet thing" to serve, like cranberry sauce or applesauce or Jello with fruit or a small salad of some kind. (According to her, every dinner needs a cold, wet thing.)
    Thank you! This will work perfectly. I have salad and some cold diced fruit. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xIrishGirlx View Post
    Thank you! This will work perfectly. I have salad and some cold diced fruit. :)
    My mother will be very proud of you. :) I'm going to call her tonight and will mention this.

Dec 14, 2012, 10:53 AM
    My mother will be very proud of you. :) I'm going to call her tonight and will mention this.
    Your mother sounds like my great-grandma. :) She'd blush if she saw me in the kitchen! It would have been great to get some cooking lessons while she was still around. Alas, I was only playing with plastic food those days. :D
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xIrishGirlx View Post
    Your mother sounds like my great-grandma. :) She'd blush if she saw me in the kitchen! It would have been great to get some cooking lessons while she was still around. Alas, I was only playing with plastic food those days. :D
    My younger son had wanted to be a chef, and is a pretty good cook anyway (but isn't a chef). He loves my mother's kitchen and refrigerator because she has all the basics and can whomp up a meal of any kind without going shopping. Jeremy says if he feels like eating a tuna melt, bingo bango, she has tuna and mayo and celery and onion and parsley and bread and Swiss cheese. If he wants to make a casserole, she has all the ingredients he might need. MY kitchen, on the other hand...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ingredients [ 4 Answers ]

Fair & Flawless 5X $99.97 for 4 oz Pure Aloe Vera Extract, Purified Sea Water, Sorbitol, Glycereth-26, Corpus Crispus, White Tea Extract, Allatoin, Lemon Extract, White Ginger Extract, Carbomer –940, Wild Chamomile, Alpha Arbutin, SepiWhite Msh (undecylenoyl phenylalanine), Glycolic, Lactic and...

What ingredients [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a recipe from the Bero Cook Book for Russian Biscuits

Ingredients manufacturer [ 2 Answers ]

I want to make my own line of skin care product to Lightening skin and clear out uneven tone skin condition I need information for where to purchase these products. Help Titi

View more questions Search