Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roel Zylstra Posts: 84, Reputation: 14
    Tech entrepreneur, perpetual student,lover of life

Dec 27, 2016, 02:48 PM
    Speedball1
    Hi All,

It is with a heavy heart that I convey some very sad news that I learned of only a couple days ago. Tom Barker, a.k.a. Speedball1, has passed away from cancer and associated pneumonia.

He was our first expert, and has been helping members and guests since January 19, 2003 – only a couple months after I purchased the domain name for the site – with an average of 6 posts per day for over twelve years. Ask Me Help Desk would not have been what it is today without him.

Here is an email regarding Tom from his wife Sharon to me, who I met four years ago when I visited Tom in Sarasota, FL:

Thanks for the kind words about Tom. Tom and I have been living together since 1994 and married 4 yrs this Feb.
    I know it was important to Tom. He took great pride to be the lead plumber on Ask Me Help Desk and monitor.
    I encouraged Tom to get on a site that would appreciate all the hours, which in the beginning for years he answered questions from 6:30 am to late evening 7 days a week, and to keep his mind sharp.
    Tom was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1994, had surgery, seed implants, and kicked it's @ss. (Tom's words not mine)
    But as you know Tom battled with cataracts, then macular degeneration. You helped him to get Dragon Speak.
    But after awhile it stopped working so I read the questions to Tom and typed his answers and posted them for him for the past 5 years.
    Tom then suffered from mouth, throat and gum cancer and kicked it! Surgery and 50 radiation treatments.
    Tom's greatest pride came was when you came to visit us and rode his chopper bike.
    In January 2013, Tom was told he had irreversible chronic lymphocytic leukemia and the doctor told him he had 3 weeks to live.
    COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) but with the taking of wheatgrass and Paw Paw cells and no chemo the cancer reversed and the COPD vanished.
    But Tom now at the age of 89, got cancer again and pneumonia and lost his battle.
    Tom was born April Fools day
    April 1, 1927 - December 10, 2016.
    Here is Tom's letter that he gave to me in preparation of this day:
    Name:  Tom's Farewell.png
Views: 92
Size:  137.1 KB

And here are a couple photos of us with his customized motorized bicycle:

Name:  Tom and Boss Man 006.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  1.91 MB

Name:  Tom and Boss Man 007.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  1.63 MB

Name:  Tom and Boss Man 011.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  922.7 KB
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Tom's Farewell.pdf (296.6 KB, 88 views)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 27, 2016, 03:07 PM
    Thanks, Roel, for letting us know. (Too often an Internet friend disappears with no explanation, and there's no way to find out what happened.) Tom was definitely one of a kind. This site will miss his expertise -- and his clever avatar!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2016, 04:21 PM
    Sad situation to learn more about this wonderful man and his history with Ask Me Help Desk.

Thoughts and prayers for peace and strength for his family and friends.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 27, 2016, 05:06 PM
    I am so sad at his passing. God bless him in the hereafter.

Tick is what he always called me
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2016, 05:23 PM
    As with many old friends who continue their journey from this world, We have the wonderful memories.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 27, 2016, 06:07 PM
    I had recently been wondering what had happened to him. So sad to hear of his passing. My thoughts and prayers are with the family he left behind.

Fly high Speedster!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 27, 2016, 07:45 PM
    Sad to hear of his passing. 2016 seems to have been a brutal year in many ways. I will keep his family in my prayers. He did great work here and didnt treat anyone like a stranger.

God Bless R.I.P.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Dec 27, 2016, 08:44 PM
    As much as I have been expecting this news, it still comes as a shock. Thank you, Roel, for passing it on.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends, too.

Rest well, Tom.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 27, 2016, 09:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Rest well, Tom.
    Knowing Tom, I suspect he's already hard at work unclogging the celestial plumbing.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 28, 2016, 03:38 AM
    He will be missed.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 28, 2016, 01:49 PM
    I once answered a plumbing question because I knew the answer (which doesn't happen ever with plumbing), and Tom messaged me to tell me how impressed he was. It really made me proud that someone with his knowledge, was impressed with my reply. Of course that was the only time I ever had the answer to a plumbing question, but I still remember that from many many years ago.

I will miss his kindness, his attention to detail, his willingness to stick with an issue until it was resolved and the OP understood what needed to be done.

RIP Tom, we'll never forget you.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 28, 2016, 02:29 PM
    We meet very few people of Tom's calibre in life, a true gent and thoroughly top man..
    Gone, but never forgotten.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 28, 2016, 05:07 PM
    Many benefited from just knowing him and now he will be missed but remembered.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2016, 05:47 AM
    Very sorry to hear of his passing. I'm not sure if I've ever conversed directly with him over the years... but I certainly am familiar with many of his contributions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Speedball1 [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I have just read that you helped somebody to resolve an issue concerning an humming noise. Please, could you tell me your solution. We are getting crazy with this constant noise. I think it happened after the installation of the wireless internet connection or alarm system. Is that possible...

For Speedball1/Tom 10/5/09 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Tom First - apologies- I've never used this site -and don't know how to a) submit a rating and b) reply directly to an answer (is it possible?) - I've submitted an "answer" to my question - but here is directly to you: Hi, Tom - thanks so much for your answer. Here's what it says on my...

Q to Speedball1 [ 10 Answers ]

Hey Speedball1 - I was reading your reply to questions on how to repair a leaky spigot. You offered an image that wasn't "visable". I need to make the same repair to a slow leaky spigot... fun is! The entries were from 2006... any chance you have the image handy to repost or send? Would sure...

Thanks From Speedball1 [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks guys for taking up the slack on the plumbing page while I was recuperating from surgery. What I thought would be a simple biopsy "morphed" into a surgical procedure when they cut out a "precancerous mass" at the base of my tongue. This meant that ALL my food would have to be liquid but...

Yo speedball1 over here [ 3 Answers ]

I just found this site... and nobody has answered my question so since you seem to be incredibly knowledgible or knowledgeable oh hell since you seem to KNOW so much I posted a question in education section on financial aid could you help... Thanks so much and you can write me via email my...

View more questions Search