Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clumsychelsea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 12:08 AM
    Items stolen from friends car.
    So I spent the night at my friend's boyfriends house (In Kent, WA) and accidentally left my purse there leaving in such a rush for work. I said, okay, and talked to my friend Amber. So she said that she would bring to me and took it out of his apartment. Amber and my best friend Leslie decided to drop it off at work the next day but it was pouring so hard they wimped out and I couldn't answer my phone.

So, the next day it gets broken into and my purse is stolen. I totaled the price and it was roughly $420. She said her boyfriend would cover it but now she's saying that she's not responsible. Who's fault is it, and if possible, what can I do?

Thank you. Chelsea
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 03:57 AM

Chelsea, you left your purse in a car and it was stolen. No one is responsible but you. You have no recourse at the moment.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 04:47 AM

If your purse was in someone else's car and the car got broken into - there is essentially nothing you can do about this unless the owner of the car had theft coverage and a low deductible. You are essentially out of luck on this.

Why didn't you go back and get your purse yourself or have your boyfriend bring it to you?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by clumsychelsea View Post
    So I spent the night at my friend's boyfriends house (In Kent, WA) and accidentally left my purse there leaving in such a rush for work. I said, okay, and talked to my friend Amber. So she said that she would bring to me and took it out of his apartment. Amber and my best friend Leslie decided to drop it off at work the next day but it was pouring so hard they wimped out and I couldn't answer my phone.

So, the next day it gets broken into and my purse is stolen. I totaled the price and it was roughly $420. She said her boyfriend would cover it but now she's saying that she's not responsible. Who's fault is it, and if possible, what can I do?

Thank you. Chelsea

Depending on whether you have homeowners insurance, the amount of your deductible and your coverage it MIGHT be covered by your homeowners. You will need a Police Report to file a claim.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 09:50 AM

Well you are partially for two reasons, you left it first of all, and you did not go back and get it the next day.

The friend who would not bring it in because of the rain,
    And the person who left it in the car, ( not in the trunk)

So I guess you could sue the other two people for a part of the value, But to be honest, it is mostly your own fault for leaving it and not gong back to get it.
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Oct 7, 2008, 03:54 PM
    It is possible, under the law of bailment, that Amber and Leslie could be responsible.

As soon as your friends agreed to care for your purse and return it too you they arguably became bailees. Bailees have a duty of care with respect to the property entrusted to them and can be held liable if negligence can be proven.

If your friends did not want to become bailees they ought to have refused to care for and return your purse to you and instead insist that you come and pick it up.

Bailment, especially involuntary or gratuitous bailment (which is what you could be looking at here) can be difficult to argue even in the best of circumstances.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2008, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice Matters View Post
    It is possible, under the law of bailment, that Amber and Leslie could be responsible.

As soon as your friends agreed to care for your purse and return it too you they arguably became bailees. Bailees have a duty of care with respect to the property entrusted to them and can be held liable if negligence can be proven.

If your friends did not want to become bailees they ought to have refused to care for and return your purse to you and instead insist that you come and pick it up.

Bailment, especially involuntary or gratuitous bailment (which is what you could be looking at here) can be difficult to argue even in the best of circumstances.

Right - and in "the States" it's reasonable care, sort of what the person accepting the property agrees to do so it's a difficult legal argument.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stolen cat! [ 8 Answers ]

My neighbor recently stole my cat! This is my 14 year old sisters cat, our dad gave her this cat before he passed away two months ago. It is her last connection to my dad and is greatly attached to this cat. The neighbors say that they gave the cat away to a family with children and they will not...

Stolen car [ 3 Answers ]

My car was stolen is there somewhere I can access NCIC to see if it was posted having Problems getting in touch with the police officer that took the report.

Stolen car [ 2 Answers ]

My car was stolen the insurance comp and gap paid it off it has now been recovered undamaged do I have to pay for it

Giving donation items to friends [ 23 Answers ]

My family and I have been moving around quite a bit in the last couple of months, and as a result I am going through all our belongings and donating the things we don't use to charity, or giving them to friends. I have one friend who feels it is her right to have first dibs on all the stuff we...

View more questions Search