Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smith83 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Aug 21, 2009, 12:24 PM
    Can you successfully get off methadone while pregnant?
    Okay, my sister is about 12 weeks pregnant. She was doing about an 80 mg oxycontin a day, and then she found out she was pregnant. She immediately went to a methadone clinic and wanted to detox with a 21 day program. She's ready and wants to quit completely. She doesn't want to be on anything, and just wants to detox with the methadone and the 21 days and just be finished with it. Problem is, the doctors at the clinic can't get it through their heads that she's not this HUGE heroin addict (because they're used to everyone being that way) and they want her to be taking methadone the entire pregnancy. What I want to know is, since she is not that big of a user, is it safe to detox with just those 21 days? We hear that there could be problems if she goes this route, but I'm thinking, people keep assuming she was this horrible addict taking massive amounts of drugs everyday. Is there anyone out there who detoxed and successfully got off methadone while pregnant? Please help. We're stressing pretty bad. Thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2009, 01:30 PM

What does her Obstetrician say? Is she talking to Physicians at the clinic? There are Physicians who specialize in these problems and one of them should be treating her.

She has to get some expert advice and follow it.

(I just saw your other threads. Is this about your sister or about you?)
    smith83 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Aug 21, 2009, 09:26 PM

All of the people at the clinic are idiots. She says they seem very unorganized and everyone she talks to tells her different things... I just don't think they know what they're doing. They are assuming she uses A LOT. She's only on 25 mgs of methadone... That's why I'm thinking it wouldn't be extremely difficult for her or the baby to just ween down.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smith83 View Post
    All of the people at the clinic are idiots. She says they seem very unorganized and everyone she talks to tells her different things...I just don't think they know what they're doing. They are assuming she uses A LOT. She's only on 25 mgs of methadone...That's why I'm thinking it wouldn't be extremely difficult for her or the baby to just ween down.

She needs to rely on the advice of a Physician who specializes - I would NOT take a chance with the health of the unborn child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Has anyone on this forum successfully lighten their skin? [ 58 Answers ]

From what I have been reading I am starting to wonder if it can be done and it doesn't seem so. I am tired of the scams... I don't need creams that will make me darker or ruin my skin I want something legit! Is that too much to ask for? Huh is it? I'm hearing diana stadler is a scam does funky...

Methadone [ 21 Answers ]

I am currently under doctors care by being prescribed methadone. I understand that it is a long process in getting well by taking and getting off the methadone... 1. I was on heroin and tried all methods in getting off, but was methadone a right choice?. 2. Is there a percentage off people that...

Unable to successfully execute the MAPI second command Error 2 [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, I get this error message when I try to send a fax via email - Unable to successfully execute the MAPI second command Error 2. Please help.

View more questions Search