Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 17, 2021, 02:48 AM
    Sites are still privately owned and as such well within their rights to be run by their own Terms of Service and how they see fit.
    Facebook is well known for it's moderating style, while user driven, the results tend on the draconian side.

Intent vs the letter can be very different things and that is what keeps many Judges and lawyers employed.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2021, 04:19 AM
    Yes there is intent and unintended consequences . When unintended consequences are harmful then the issue needs reexamination.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 17, 2021, 09:50 AM
    Re examination of policy and practice often involves courts and lawyers and even lawmakers but it seems market forces are quicker. Only took a few days for big tech to act on the events of Jan. 6th.
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2021, 11:56 AM
    seems like the suppression of conservative thought is an international issue .
    Parler attracted senior members of the UK government before it shut down, according to reports (msn.com)

I have been unsuccessful at opening Parler's web site until today. Today I got this message .....
    Now seems like the right time to remind you all — both lovers and haters — why we started this platform. We believe privacy is paramount and free speech essential, especially on social media. Our aim has always been to provide a nonpartisan public square where individuals can enjoy and exercise their rights to both.
    We will resolve any challenge before us and plan to welcome all of you back soon. We will not let civil discourse perish!
    Parler Status Updates
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 17, 2021, 12:11 PM
    What America refers to as conservative and what the UK does are very different things...
    I wouldn't place too much credence on this "report", after all many people joined Parler after 6th Jan to see what utterances Mr Orange was going to make next.

Interesting that they classed themselves as nonpartisan.
    Expert

Jan 17, 2021, 12:44 PM
    Parlar is about the money and nothing wrong with that, but the real issue is the policy of those they depend on to do business, and they have a right to a day in court. I don't buy the right to make money without responsibility for those unintended consequences though.

I ain't buying Toms conservative discrimination views either simply because conservative numbers depend on embracing their loony fringe brethren, and maybe not vocally, but silently, and must acknowledge the same liberal dilemma with the left and it's fringers. To be fair though conservatives (And liberals) do condemn violence and criminality as they seek distance and difference from the fringes, though neither side wants to admit it enough.

Unfortunately loonies on both sides are part of the public citizenry, free to shout and holler and gratefully are subject to the same laws everybody is. At least in theory. Obviously there is big money in marketing loony stuff. Who can resist?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2021, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post

Unfortunately loonies on both sides are part of the public citizenry, free to shout and holler and gratefully are subject to the same laws everybody is. At least in theory. Obviously there is big money in marketing loony stuff. Who can resist?
    Tal even here you would be considered conservative, you would not have embraced the left end of our politics, they are union controlled or more green than grass wanting to ban everything. Our conservatives maintain a public health system, keep taxes low, balance budgets now and again, have a wholistic approach to covid and would be considered leftist in the US
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2021, 06:43 AM
    I ain't buying Toms conservative discrimination views

First use the fake news to sell to the country that White Supremist terrorism is the # one threat to the nation .Then conflate with a broad brush conservatives with white supremacism
    Finally use censorship, boycotts and public shaming to punish any conservative thought . I already detailed how big tech is playing that card .
    Now they want to ban books too .

https://www.lacortenews.com/n/hundre...by-trump-admin
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2021, 07:59 AM
    First use the fake news to sell to the country that White Supremist terrorism is the # one threat to the nation .Then conflate with a broad brush conservatives with white supremacism
    Finally use censorship, boycotts and public shaming to punish any conservative thought . I already detailed how big tech is playing that card .
    Yep. That's been the game plan. Accuse conservatives of villainy, and then take away their ability to defend themselves. Online conservative news outlets and evangelical churches will be in the spotlight next.
    Expert

Jan 19, 2021, 09:37 AM
    Nice spin, but isn't that the free marketers putting the whammy on the dufus? I don't think it has anything to do with quashing "conservatives". Or maybe conservatives need a better spokesman than the dufus.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 19, 2021, 10:39 AM
    Born and raised Republican,
    I sure don't know what's going on!
    For certain, an overarching greed
    That encourages unnecessary need --
    Opportunists pretend to be protesters,
    Leaving on society a huge wound that festers.
    Will Biden reframe our deadly dance?
    Let's at least give him a chance!
    Expert

Jan 19, 2021, 11:44 AM
    74 million may not agree, but 80 million are hopeful....and relieved.
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2021, 01:05 PM
    Born and raised Republican,
    I sure don't know what's going on!
    For certain, an overarching greed
    That encourages unnecessary need --
    You mean like former democrat pols such as Jane Harmon (worth 500 mil), John Kerry (250 mil), Al Gore (300 mil), Jon Corzine (350 mil), Maria Shriver (200 mil), Hillary Clinton (120 mil), and Nancy Pelosi (120 mil)?

And that doesn't include Michael Bloomberg, Tom Steyer, and George Soros. And then consider that forty-one out of the fifty wealthiest congressional districts are represented by Democrats.

Opportunists pretend to be protesters,
    Leaving on society a huge wound that festers.
    Funny how, when BLM protests caused 2 bil in damages and 30 deaths, and led to over 2,000 injured cops, that you could only protest the ONE conservative protest that turned violent.

Will Biden reframe our deadly dance?
    Let's at least give him a chance!
    I wonder if the three amigos said the same thing about Trump four years ago?
    Expert

Jan 19, 2021, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    You mean like former democrat pols such as Jane Harmon (worth 500 mil), John Kerry (250 mil), Al Gore (300 mil), Jon Corzine (350 mil), Maria Shriver (200 mil), Hillary Clinton (120 mil), and Nancy Pelosi (120 mil)?

And that doesn't include Michael Bloomberg, Tom Steyer, and George Soros. And then consider that forty-one out of the fifty wealthiest congressional districts are represented by Democrats.
    Why is that and why can't repubs make their congressional districts wealthy? Incompetence?

Funny how, when BLM protests caused 2 bil in damages and 30 deaths, and led to over 2,000 injured cops, that you could only protest the ONE conservative protest that turned violent.

A simple case of conflation and lies since it's YOU that cannot tell the difference between peaceful protestors and criminals. Very different from the dems going after rioters and criminals and not peaceful conservatives who didn't break the law.

Obviously you cannot fathom the difference, and probably never will. Really a sad case that leads to confusion between reality and BS. (Is the term BS an offensive booty reference too?).
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2021, 01:52 PM
    Nice spin, but isn't that the free marketers putting the whammy on the dufus?
    nope it is monopolistic practices by denying access to the market .

Now cable news is getting in the act with CNN trying to deny Newsmax a platform.
    "These companies have freedom of speech, but I'm not sure we need Verizon, AT&T, Comcast, and such bringing them into tens of millions of homes."

How to cover the information crisis — and curb it (cnn.com)

I was upset when Airhead America Radio went down. But they went down because they could not compete in the arena of ideas . No conservative was pushing to get them off air . In fact I really enjoyed content like the stuff Randi Rhodes ,Rachel Madcow ,Lionel ,Ron Reagan and Thom Hartmann brought to the table. It enriches the debate . The left only wants to stifle it .
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2021, 02:07 PM
    It's what you do when you cannot win honest debate. You simply try to silence the other side. Not gonna work.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 19, 2021, 02:11 PM
    I was all for a successful businessman taking hold and improving our lives vs. the same old-same old politics.
    Expert

Jan 19, 2021, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    nope it is monopolistic practices by denying access to the market .

Now cable news is getting in the act with CNN trying to deny Newsmax a platform.
    "These companies have freedom of speech, but I'm not sure we need Verizon, AT&T, Comcast, and such bringing them into tens of millions of homes."

How to cover the information crisis — and curb it (cnn.com)
    CNN Pushes to Close Down Newsmax TV | Newsmax.com

Let 'em fight it out.

I was upset when Airhead America Radio went down. But they went down because they could not compete in the arena of ideas . No conservative was pushing to get them off air . In fact I really enjoyed content like the stuff Randi Rhodes ,Rachel Madcow ,Lionel ,Ron Reagan and Thom Hartmann brought to the table. It enriches the debate . The left only wants to stifle it .
    Was it the left stifling progressive radio, or market forces and lousy management? Many of the above are still around, and the branding was purchased after bankruptcy. You know NORMAL business.

Air America (radio network) - Wikipedia

The company eventually changed its name from Air America Radio to Air America Media and lastly to just Air America, an effort to establish itself as a broadcaster on multiple media sources including television and the Internet, and one not merely relegated to radio. Always primarily a radio network, on January 21, 2010, Air America went off the air citing difficulties with the current economic environment. It filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy and liquidated itself. Bennett Zier was the company's last CEO including through the bankruptcy and liquidation.
    Sometime after the network's closure, Newsweb Corporation (owned by Chicago entrepreneur, political activist, and philanthropist Fred Eychaner and owner of Chicago's WCPT progressive talk radio station) acquired ownership of the branding.
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2021, 03:43 PM
    I was all for a successful businessman taking hold and improving our lives vs. the same old-same old politics
    Nice to see you admit that Trump was a successful businessman.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 19, 2021, 03:46 PM
    Nice to see you admit that Trump was a successful businessman.
    Was for a short time....

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I list purchases from Amazon by Amazon or by the sub vendor? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a number of purchases from Amazon that are from separate vendors using Amazon sales portal, they are mostly one offs... do I list them as separate vendors or just under the main main Amazon account in my ledger?

How do I regain parents trust after a serious trust break down? [ 1 Answers ]

Basically my ex fiancˇ did dope and I had a little of it now and again, but then when we broke up I found more of my mates do it too. As I enjoyed a little smoke now and again I bought my own stuff e.g a grinder and some weed. For 3 weeks I was buying my own and hiding it at home. Ä°t was never a...

It hurt to break someone's trust? [ 3 Answers ]

I hurt my boyfriend by breaking the promises I made with him.I chat with male friend when he was chating with me .he have given me a second chance but I again did it now he is hurt very much and not receiving my calls so will he forgive me...

Can you regain trust after a break up? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, here goes. A little background info. My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 7 months but we didn't become offical/exclusive tillNovember. He dumped me a few days ago because I told him once again I was uneasy about his friendship with my cousin. I get jelous quite often and moody. He...

View more questions Search