Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alc23 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 05:26 PM
    Antique carved table
    I recently purchased a table and 4 chairs that store under the table with matching carvings top is carved with glass top.. If anyone could tell me anything about the table That would be great thanks Allen email is [Personal email address removed for privacy.]
    Attached Images

Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2009, 07:33 PM

Hi, Allen!

That's quite an unusual set that you have there! I did need to remove your personal email address. I would hate for you to get spammed because it was openly visible here.

The set looks to be oriental in design. The wood on the tops of the chairs looks to be oak. The wood on the sides of all of the pieces could be birch.

It's hard to tell about the designs that are on the top of the table. Are they down in the wood, or are they a relief that sticks out above the surface of the top?

Thanks!

Jun 14, 2009, 04:55 AM
    Hi thanks for removing my email. The table is carved in the top as well with a glass top. Each stool is carved to match the spot it goes in under the table. Here are 2 more pics
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Jun 14, 2009, 11:01 PM

Hi again, Allen!

What is written on the stick-on tag, please?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2009, 11:01 PM

Hi again, Allen!

What is written on the stick-on tag, please?

Thanks!

Jun 15, 2009, 03:56 PM
    Made in hong kong
    NO 1306
    I think the numbers wrote in pencil are 1306 but very hard to read. Do you know what type of furniture ? I thought it was a tea table? Is it made for kids or adults?
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2009, 04:44 PM

Whether it is for kids or adults would be determined by the distance of the tops of the seats from the floor.

What is the distance in inches, please?

Thanks!

Jun 16, 2009, 12:19 PM
    Hi Clough
    The distance from floor to the top of a chair is 13 inches, to the top of the table is
    20 1/4 inches and the table top measures about 29 1/2 inches across.

Jun 22, 2009, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Whether it is for kids or adults would be determined by the distance of the tops of the seats from the floor.

What is the distance in inches, please?

Thanks!
    I also wanted to tell you the seats are carved on all 3 sides. The rim of the table and the rim of the seats are carved the same with different pictures on each seat so you can tell where they go back under the table

Aug 20, 2009, 01:26 PM
    Hey did you ever find anything out about my table and chairs. Any info would be great thanks
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2009, 08:31 PM

Do you have an idea of the approximate year?

I remember hearing that a lot of oriental furniture was made low because they wanted to be low to the ground in case of an earthquake.

Aug 21, 2009, 12:24 PM
    No I have no idea on the year.It is really neat looking I purchased it at an auction.

Aug 21, 2009, 12:24 PM
    No I have no idea on the year.It is really neat looking I purchased it at an auction.
    imperialart Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2010, 04:18 PM
    This is called a Chow Table, it is Chinese, and made of teak. In past ages in China the main food would be placed on the large table, and the individuals would sit upon cushions and eat from bowls placed on the stools. This is not as elaborately carved as some, but I would guess it to be just after the second world war.
    imperialart Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2010, 04:19 PM

This is called a Chow Table, carved of teak. In ages past in China, the main food was placed on the large table, and the individuals would sit upon cushions and eat from bowls placed upon the stools. This is not as elaborately carved as some, and I would say dates to just after to second world war. Many stools have four legs, these only have three, which indicates it is slightly earlier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Antique table with carved cherubs on top [ 2 Answers ]

I have a table oval in shape with a glass top. Under the glass is a carved pisture of cherubs playing what looks like flutes. The legs are carved also. I can't seem to find a label on the bottom of it. All I know is that my mother in laws mother purchased it when mu mother in law was a child. ...

Value of antique singer sewing machine & table [ 13 Answers ]

I was recently given an antique Singer electric sewing machine. The serial number is G8428853. It is very ornate. The decals and paint look nearly new, no rust. The machine is in a wooden case with bent wood rounded top. The machine does run very well. It has the original foot pedel(this is very...

White antique table with red edging folds out [ 1 Answers ]

White antique table with red edging how much is it worth.

Legs on Antique Table are too short [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lovely antique dining table that has been in my family for four generations, but the turned legs that are on small castors are too shortfor us, and it's difficult to sit at. How can I "extend" the legs so that the 6-foot+ members of our family can sit at the table comfortably?

View more questions Search