Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mad-f0018 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2014, 10:31 PM
    Personal Liberties vs. Common Good
    What are some examples of personal liberties every American individual is granted that may conflict with the common good, and vice versa? The only example I could get would include:

Everyone is allowed the freedom of speech, (personal liberty) but you could say something violent or threatening, effecting/(affecting?) the common good. But if you were to take away that person's ability to speak, you'd be denying their right of the first amendment.

I just need two more examples! Please help!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 3, 2014, 04:03 AM
    First rights are not unlimited, there is no complete freedom of speech, a person can be sued for telling lies on about person. You can be convicted of perjury for lie under oath.

How about right to remain silent, or the right or due process: ( you will have to find them in admendments, if a child or person will die unless the criminal confesses.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 3, 2014, 04:47 AM
    Free to raise my children as I want, vs their rights as people, part of the common good.
    Free to put chemicals on my yard, vs the right of others to have a natural water table. (Or burn brush, or put a shed 1" from my border, or countless other 'property' rights.)
    Free to own a firearm, vs right of the public to be free of fear of misuse of them.
    Free to pollute with a car, vs right of others to not breathe the air.
    Free to practice my religion, vs rights of others to practice different ones, especially in taxpayer-funded public places.

Something has an effect (noun)
    Something affects (verb), except in one specific use as a noun, in psychology.

So in your case, affecting.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 3, 2014, 05:38 AM
    Just review the Bill of Rights, that should give you examples.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 3, 2014, 08:13 AM
    Actually they need to go amendment to Constitution, often the first 10 will give them plenty.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 3, 2014, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Actually they need to go amendment to Constitution, often the first 10 will give them plenty.
    The Bill of Rights IS the 1st 10 Amendments to the Constitution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are common reasons to poke on FaceBook? Is it ever a good idea? [ 4 Answers ]

I often get poked, and sometimes poke, but I wonder if I understand why I poke or get poked? Am I getting/ sending wrong messages?

Civil liberties in the united states [ 3 Answers ]

How are the civil liberties in the united states protected?

Individuals rights and liberties prior to the constitutional Convention [ 4 Answers ]

Please help me with the body of my essay that is related to the title

View more questions Search