Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heavenzdevil17 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 10:43 AM
    NC Child Abandonment Laws
    My name is Brandi and I like in Gaston County, NC. I have a five year old son with an ex boyfriend, and I encounter the ongoing problem that the ex, whom I will call Travis, has little to no concern for his son. We have not gone to court for custody, because I can't afford it and the state won't help me do it. Travis attempts to see our son roughly three times a year, and often does not show up when he has agreed to baby sit. When I once asked him when he would come see his son, he responded, and I quote, "When I get off my lazy a*s!" He has publicly threatened my life, and endangered our son on several occasions. He frequently requests paternity tests, but when I schedule them he never shows up. He does not pay child support, and the state won't make him do that either. What can I do to get this man out of both mine and my child's lives?
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2012, 12:57 PM
    I'm sorry, but you can't. He has the same rights that you do to your child because he is the father. He will have to go through the courts if he ever decides to exercise his rights, but he can do that at anytime in the future. Family courts are very user friendly and many even offer hardship waivers for those who financially qualify, so there is no reason to not formalize your custody situation and to actively pursue collecting child support.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 01:11 PM
    Why won't the state go after him for child support?
    sethbrax Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2012, 09:02 AM
    My ex-husband and I have a 12 yr old together. He does pay child support but will go a month or more without seeing him. He may send him a text message that he loves him but does
    Not see him at his home or mine. He may "run" into him at the grocery store or somewhere but that is all. He pays child support. My son has been in mental health counseling for several years due to actions of father as well as other things. I could survive without child support I just want his father out of his life, so he can heal. Any chance of that??
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 8, 2012, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sethbrax View Post
    My ex-husband and I have a 12 yr old together. He does pay child support but will go a month or more without seeing him. He may send him a text msg that he loves him but does
    not see him at his home or mine. He may "run" into him at the grocery store or somewhere but that is all. He pays child support. My son has been in mental health counseling for several years due to actions of father as well as other things. I could survive without child support I just want his father out of his life, so he can heal. Any chance of that????
    First, you should have started a new thread for this new question.

Any chance of getting your son's father "out of your life" for failure to visit the child whenever he can? No, not really unless you marry a man who wants to adopt the boy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Child abandonment [ 5 Answers ]

Could somebody please tell me what the laws are on child abandonment in the state of Pennsylvania? I've looked it up, but I always find it on other states and not the one I need.

Abandonment of a child [ 5 Answers ]

I have a sixteen year old niece that is being raised by her widowed mother. She has one more year in high school and is the captain of her dance team at school and does very well in school. Her mother grauated nursing school 3 years ago and just recently has been accepted to a physician assistants...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

My fathers son has had no contact of paid no support for 1 year, I would like to know if there is any way I can get him for abandonment with out having to retain a lawyer.

Child Abandonment [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old son who has spent a total of 30min with his biological father since I was 3 months pregnant. That was December 22, 2005. The father left me because he thought it was going to be a girl and he didn't want one. I called him when my son was a week old, as soon as we got out of...

View more questions Search