Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Icekitsune Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2009, 08:20 AM
    Is my tongue infected?
    Hello, I just got my tongue pierced 2 weeks ago and my tongue was doing fine, I cleaned it after everything I ate and it's swelling back up again and secreting sticky fluid, I found out really early this morning and started crying because I'm so scared and know the results of not getting it healed, but should I take it out, try to clean it out and keep it, or go to the doctors? I'm 17 and new to body piercing. Also, one of my friends is a professional piercer and he told me to squeeze my tongue to see if the discharge was sticky or not, I don't know if this could also affect why it's swollen, well it is sticky and I have no clue what means, but it's white and I thought that meant it was in the healing process.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 5, 2009, 08:45 AM

Here some information for you.

Warning signs of a tongue piercing infection

September 03, 2004
    By: Lori Wilkerson

All body piercings need careful attention, but with tongue piercing, you should be especially aware of certain risks that aren't present with most other body modifications.

Because of the unusual placement of a tongue piercing and the fact that the tongue is such a sensitive part of the body, you want to watch for some very specific things in the days and weeks following the insertion of a new tongue ring.

Any of these symptoms means you should immediately seek the advice of your piercing professional or a medical professional:

* Yellow or green discharge (a whitish or clear discharge is normal drainage) from the tongue piercing
    * Scarring or thickened tissue that builds up and darkens around the piercing hole
    * Bleeding or tearing after the initial healing of the tongue piercing
    * A low-grade fever that is persistent in the days following your tongue piercing
    * Red streaks and painful tenderness radiating out from the piercing hole

It is important to remember that even if you have any of these symptoms, do not remove your tongue jewelry before consulting your piercer. A tongue piercing can close up in a matter of only a few minutes to a few hours, so it is best to see of the infection can be successfully treated without removing the jewelry. In most cases, this can be done with no problem.

Jul 5, 2009, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Here some information for you.

Warning signs of a tongue piercing infection

September 03, 2004
    By: Lori Wilkerson

All body piercings need careful attention, but with tongue piercing, you should be especially aware of certain risks that aren’t present with most other body modifications.

Because of the unusual placement of a tongue piercing and the fact that the tongue is such a sensitive part of the body, you want to watch for some very specific things in the days and weeks following the insertion of a new tongue ring.

Any of these symptoms means you should immediately seek the advice of your piercing professional or a medical professional:

* Yellow or green discharge (a whitish or clear discharge is normal drainage) from the tongue piercing
    * Scarring or thickened tissue that builds up and darkens around the piercing hole
    * Bleeding or tearing after the initial healing of the tongue piercing
    * A low-grade fever that is persistent in the days following your tongue piercing
    * Red streaks and painful tenderness radiating out from the piercing hole

It is important to remember that even if you have any of these symptoms, do not remove your tongue jewelry before consulting your piercer. A tongue piercing can close up in a matter of only a few minutes to a few hours, so it is best to see of the infection can be successfully treated without removing the jewelry. In most cases, this can be done with no problem.
    Thank you, I was looking around on the internet about using hydrogen peroxide and listerine, I mixed them and it worked, my swelling went down that I had caused(or friend) and I really need reassurance that my tongue isn't infected
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 5, 2009, 08:54 AM

I can't tell you over the net if you tongue is infected or not. Have someone who knows about tongue piercings look at it. I know for sure though that if your gums are sore, your tongue is infected.

Rinsing your mouth with sea salt and water is a good cleanser. Use about a tsp of sea salt in an 8 oz. glass of water, stir to dissolve properly and swish in your mouth and spit out.

Hydrogen peroxide 3% (medicinal) is good for a short term but done use it on a constant basis, it will destroy tissue.

Tick

Jul 5, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I can't tell you over the net if you tongue is infected or not. Have someone who knows about tongue piercings look at it.

Rinsing your mouth with sea salt and water is a good cleanser. Use about a tsp of sea salt in an 8 oz. glass of water, stir to dissolve properly and swish in your mouth and spit out.

tick
    I could take a pick of it? And also, I have to wait till my dad's awake ><
    pandybear86 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2011, 08:02 PM
    Just because your gums are sore does not mean that your tongue is infected. Your gums can be sore from over cleaning or using products that dry out your mouth. Listerine is one of the worst possible mouth washes to use for a tongue piercing due to the high alcohol content. Use Biotene or Oral B. They moisturize your mouth as well as clean it.
    c_castro91 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2013, 06:57 PM
    Ive had my tongue pierced for a few years now.. and it hurts by the pierced spot a lot and especially when I move my tongue or eat and drink its very painful.. does that mean its infected or what?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does the belly piercing necessarily need to look infected to be infected? [ 9 Answers ]

Does it? Mine doesn't hurt and people say it doesn't look infected at all. But I'm scared help

Infected Tongue? [ 4 Answers ]

:eek:I'm asking about my tongue ring yet again. I changed it. It doesn't hurt, it gets a little tender after I eat. I have some white stuff coming out of it. Yes I know- infection. But I have a sinus infection and a lot of gunk that drains. One of my friends is a licensed piercer and he's seen it...

Where can I find tongue spacers so I don't always have to wear a flashy tongue ring? [ 9 Answers ]

I love my tongue ring but I don't always want to wear and I have to work where I can't have tongue ring. Does anyone know any common stores that have them. Because I can't find them.

Tongue Piercing, white tongue, ulcer spot? [ 3 Answers ]

Pierced it 5 days ago. Situated in front of the pierced hole, there is what appears to be an 'ulcer' type looking spot. Can anyone shed some light for me please?:(

View more questions Search