Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jen1022 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2012, 05:43 PM
    Work in a place where people live
    I work in a place where people live... I've become close friends with a person that lives here.. my boss is telling me that I'm violating hipaa by tell them about my personal life OFF the clock... I can't really find anything about it online.. some help would be appreciated
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2012, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jen1022 View Post
    I work in a place where people live... I've become close friends with a person that lives here.. my boss is telling me that I'm violating hipaa by tell them about my personal life OFF the clock...I can't really find anything about it online.. some help would be appreciated

You can discuss YOUR life with anyone without violating HIPAA.

If the workplace rule is not to socialize you are breaking company policy.

Jun 14, 2012, 09:27 PM
    Thank you. All my boss said was I was violating hipaa. I work in a nursing home does that make a difference?

Jun 14, 2012, 09:30 PM
    I've gotten permission to be there friend and can hang out with him when ever I'm off the clock.. then was told that today... so that's whyvim confused lol

Jun 14, 2012, 09:33 PM
    I've even gotten permission from our corporate office!
    EveryonesMaMa Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2012, 11:54 PM
    What you do off the clock on your time is your Business unless you are being sexually involved with the clients or staff! Other then that your fine!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 15, 2012, 03:37 AM
    HIPAA covers the revelation of medical treatment and diagnosis info about a patient without permission. So I don't see where HIPAA is involved. As noted, however corporate policy may be at issue, even if it is on your own time.

Do you have the permission in writing?

Jun 15, 2012, 10:57 AM
    No just verbal from the administration and corporate

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Site for people who have to live with people with addictions [ 10 Answers ]

Hey, everyone. Wish I could say I'm doin' all right, but right now... Well I just can't.:( For years I've tried my best coping with having to live with people around me who abuse drugs and acohol, and I'm fed up. I can't do it anymore. Its really hard because of the drugs and the alcohol being used...

Finding a place to live [ 1 Answers ]

My fiance and I are hoping to buy our own home, or to build a house in the next year or so, however right now our credit is ony giving us about $117,000 loan amount. Will that amount grow in the next year, and about how much? Also, what is the least amount and average amount a person would have to...

View more questions Search