Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trip812 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 05:41 AM
    Two rooms on same breaker,lost power to one room,other room works
    I replaced the outlets in my spare bedroom, I turned the breaker off before doing it, (the breaker controls both spare and master bedrooms), when I turned the breaker back on, the power in the master bedroom is not working.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 07:42 AM

You have more than likely broken the connection that feeds both rooms. I suggest that you check the jbox where the two rooms are being fed from and verify the connections.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 02:43 PM

One of the outlets in the spare bedroom is suppling power to master bedroom.

Check outlets in spare room for a loose or broken wire. If u wired new outlets to speedy push slots, move wires to the screw connection. The speedy slots have a tendency to snap wire if wire is nicked when stripping insulation.

The outlet causing problem is more then likely on a common wall with master bedrm.

Good luck

Chuck
    trip812 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2010, 02:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    You have more than likely broken the connection that feeds both rooms. I suggest that you check the jbox where the two rooms are being fed from and verify the connections.
    I haven't had a chance to check the j box as of yet... I did however check for broken connections on all the outlets that I replaced,and all was fine. (I'm using the side connections.) I do have a question though... one of the outlets is controlled by the light switch. This particular outlet has a lot of wires running to it... (3).two come in from the top and one from the bottom. One of the wires has 4 wires to it,red,black,white,copper. The other two only have three... (no red).All three black wires are together with a wire nut,the three white connect to the outlet the three copper connect to the outlet,and the lone red wire connects to the opposite side of the outlet from the three white... I replaced the wires as they came off. Only, I'm using the side connections on the outlet.I'll check the j box today... but, I'm not sure what I'm looking for,or HOW to look for it... Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 06:59 AM

Either they are switching the whole outlet with the red, or this room is a red circuit and black circuit passes through this box.
    When you solve your problem, you could go back to that receptacle, break the tab off the hot side, and connect a black wire, which will be connected to the 3 blacks existing.
    NinaLoca72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2012, 07:49 AM
    Last night my daughter lose power to her room and after checking the breakers we lost power in the other bedroom which is at the other end of the mobile home. What could the problem be?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 8, 2012, 11:36 AM
    Did you reset the breakers?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost power to one room, and one wall, but other things on breaker work [ 11 Answers ]

We have a mobile home, and we've lost power to a bedroom we used as a media room, and along one wall in our living room. Our 2 yr old daughter was flipping the light switch, she flipped it 3 or 4 times by the time I got to her, she'd flipped it again (yes she was doing it fast!) and then everything...

I lost power in all the outlets in just one room, what do I do? [ 2 Answers ]

Happy hollidays everyone, so, I'm sitting in the front room watching TV and all of a sudden all was dark. I checked the breaker box and one of the smaller switches was moved a bit to the "left" side, I then moved it back to the "right" and it stayed, but still no power to the front room. Do I need...

Installed Ceiling Fan in Room A, Lost Light in Room B [ 7 Answers ]

Below I've got a link to two pictures of both electrical boxes if this helps. I have two bedrooms next to each other. They are on the same breaker. Today I installed a very basic ceiling fan into Room A. the wires in the electrical box coming from the ceiling are two tan, one black. I...

One room dimmer installation / dimmer works but no power in room [ 4 Answers ]

I have installed a remot ctrl dimmer in one room & now all 2 of my power outlets seems not to work. The installation was one pole & I shut off the power to the upstairs area of my house by using the cirucit breaker. Once aligning all the wires & positioning the dimmer to replace the on & off switch...

Circuit breaker OK, but no electricity in living room/dining room [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old farm home. The lights went out in living room and dining room Thanksgiving night. The circuit breaker appears normal and the panel is OK. What went wrong?

View more questions Search