Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shoaibdr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 01:44 AM
    Water pressure against tank height and tank water capacity
    Normally the head pressure of water is .433 pounds per foot of head. Is there any change in pressure by changing the tank water capacity. e.g. if two tanks of 50ft height having water capacity of one is 10,000 gallons and other one has 20,000 gallons. What will be the water pressure difference between two tanks.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 07:59 AM
    No difference. The pressure changes with height of container, not width.
    xcalibre Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    No difference. The pressure changes with height of container, not width.
    If the 2 containers were linked at their bottoms by a pipe, surely the 20000L tank would empty into the 10000L (given there's enough capacity) until they were both 15000L.

My understanding is that the 20000L tank would have to exert larger pressure than the 10000L tank in the pipe to accomplish this...
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xcalibre
    if the 2 containers were linked at their bottoms by a pipe, surely the 20000L tank would empty into the 10000L (given there's enough capacity) until they were both 15000L.

my understanding is that the 20000L tank would have to exert larger pressure than the 10000L tank in the pipe to accomplish this...
    The water will flow to it's lowest level, in other words it will minimize the potential energy of the system.

Potential energy depends on h only.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 23, 2008, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shoaibdr View Post
    Normally the head pressure of water is .433 pounds per foot of head. Is there any change in pressure by changing the tank water capacity. e.g. if two tanks of 50ft height having water capacity of one is 10,000 gallons and other one has 20,000 gallons. What will be the water pressure difference between two tanks.
    There would be no difference between the two. . 434 X a 50 foot head would give you 21.7PSI.
    f the 2 containers were linked at their bottoms by a pipe, surely the 20000L tank would empty into the 10000L (given there's enough capacity) until they were both 15000L.
    my understanding is that the 20000L tank would have to exert larger pressure than the 10000L tank in the pipe to accomplish this...
    Sure loooks that way don't it? Common sense should tell you that with twice as weight the 20k tank should drain right into the 10K tank as soon as the pipes were connected. Right? WRONG!! Head pressure again! No matter how much volume you have inn the containers water will allways seek it's own level. Since the head remains at 50 feet both tanks will read out at 21.7 PSI. Regards, Tom
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Nov 23, 2008, 09:19 PM
    "Water pressure against tank height and tank water capacity" - Yes, the pressure in water, and of water, at a certain level depends on the height of water above this particular level only. But you can't say that the pressure created by water on the tank's walls depends on the capacity of the tank, because this is not always true. The pressure of the tank on the floor (or in other words, weight of the tank) depends on the capacity of the tank and also on the area of the bottom of the tank, which makes the contact with the floor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Low water pressure from hot water tank [ 8 Answers ]

I drained my water supply when fitting new bathroom suite I have turn the mains water back on but I am not getting any pressure from the hot water taps the cold is fine

Height of WATER TANK for Plot [ 1 Answers ]

I have a plot of Land 25 acres. I want to build a WATER TANK for distribution of water all around the plot. Can anyone suggest the HEIGHT at which the tower tank is to be made for distribution with good pressure. I do not want to instal a PRESSURE PUMP.

New hot water tank installed, loss of water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

After the installation of a new hot water tank, we have less pressure which is only noticeable when trying to fill the tub. Any ideas? Thank you.

Running water sound in water pressure tank [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure if I have a bad bladder in my water pressure tank but here is what I have. When my submersible pump kicks on I hear what sounds like water and air mixing in the tank. The house pressure comes up to about 50 PSI and takes time to bleed down. Could I have air in the tank from the well...

View more questions Search