Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    silpae Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2012, 02:14 AM
    Am I gifted?
    I never thought of myself as being gifted before, but the more I think about it, the more I start to doubt it. I could be totally wrong and over-estimating myself though. Can I be gifted, based on the following?

I am a 16 year old female living in Montreal (Bonjour!). Still in High School, I will be graduating in 2013. I was actually born in New York and raised for eight years in Haiti, where most of my unusual “habits” started.

Since a very young age, I would figure things out all by myself. I never thought about it because my parents were not very active ones (meaning they never taught me much. They were very absent and our relationship is really bad), but now I wonder if everyone would have been capable of doing what I did. For instance, I thought myself how to read. I remember asking my sister help from time to time, but by the age of four, I remember mastering this skill (and showing it off to my classmates who did not believe me at first).

Other things I taught myself would be, for instance, why far objects move slower than close ones. I did not understand the scientific part of it, but living half of my life in a country with mountains, I figured it had something to do with distance. I also figured out what sex is. I was five or six. Maybe something had happened, but I just remember figuring it out cause to me, kissing while being naked was not passionate enough (was I perverted already? Haha!) I pretty much taught myself the majority of things I know, I believe.

Since young, I had a very vivid imagination. I did not have imaginary friends, but I would create many scenarios that HAD to match reality. I still do and I spend most of my time daydreaming.

Lastly, I always enjoyed puzzles, word games, etc. I also loved reading but now, that passion faded away. Actually, I have a lot of things I know I would enjoy doing but I give up easily. (e.g.: writing, reading, photography …)

I am also not doing well in school because I don’t make any effort and I don’t study at all. I still manage to pass my grades and that’s all that matters to me. Not to my parents though!

So, am I gifted or just very lucky?

I have other examples, but long texts are sometimes a bother to read so I tried to keep it as short as possible. I am deeply sorry for any mistake I might have done since English is not my first language.

Thank you in advance!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 2, 2012, 02:16 AM
    If you where "gifted" it would have been picked up by your school before now.

Jul 2, 2012, 02:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    If you where "gifted" it would of been picked up by your school before now.
    Teachers often tell me that I have the potential to do better and that I am intelligent but they are teachers. All they care a out is the good reputation they have. My school has a good reputation in Montreal so they want their students to keep on having 85% and up. They don't care about that kid in the back of the room who spends the majority of time doing something, who also manages to pass! So no, I don't rely on school nor my parents.
    BossMan

Jul 2, 2012, 02:34 AM
    Sounds like you are being a typical lazy teen.
    If you actually applied yourself to your studies you would achieve so much more, as your own teachers have already commented on.

Jul 2, 2012, 02:45 AM
    Sounds like you are being a typical lazy teen.
    If you actually applied yourself to your studies you would achieve so much more, as your own teachers have already commented on.
    Yes, I am lazy. Lazier than the average teen. Sounds like you are being typical critical adult who just thinks about school and work. I don't like this way of living. Especially the school part because education nowadays destroys knowledge and it sickens me. And since there is no way to live otherwise nowadays, I guess early death is calling me!
    BossMan

Jul 2, 2012, 02:50 AM
    Actually I'm no where need a "typical" adult.
    I was the same lazy kid in school, until I found that applying myself actually lead to greater rewards than simply passing the course work.
    It's all well and good just doing the bare minimum, but, as you have already noticed, this doesn't really enrich the learning experience or knowledge gained..
    At the end of the day teachers get paid whether you pass or fail, so they really aren't all that bothered. They clearly see you wasting your ability and are trying to push you in a better direction. Surprisingly enough they actually want to see you achieve something worthwhile with your life and not waste it on a McJob..

But what do I know I'm just another critical adult, who is in charge of the IT for a multi-billion global company..

Jul 2, 2012, 03:03 AM
    Actually I'm no where need a "typical" adult.
    I was the same lazy kid in school, until I found that applying myself actually lead to greater rewards than simply passing the course work.
    It's all well and good just doing the bare minimum, but, as you have already noticed, this doesn't really enrich the learning experience or knowledge gained..
    At the end of the day teachers get paid whether you pass or fail, so they really aren't all that bothered. They clearly see you wasting your ability and are trying to push you in a better direction. Surprisingly enough they actually want to see you achieve something worthwhile with your life and not waste it on a McJob..

But what do I know I'm just another critical adult, who is in charge of the IT for a multi-billion global company..
    Being in charge of a multi-million company does not mean you are not a typical critical adult. My dad might not be a millionaire but he can say the same thing to me, talking about how serious studies made him have doctorates and what not. Also, I know teachers don't care so that is exactly what I was saying.

I am not like the average joe, who thinks success equals being a straight A student who ends up rich. That is just work. I mean anyone today can do that. Just got to learn their textbook by heart for their exam and tadah! They have their diploma. What is impressive? But that's not what I wanted to say.

All adults tell me the same story "I was a lazy teen but then after a miracle I started studying and I have two doctorates!" or "I am millionaire!" I don't want to be a billionaire nor do I want to spend half of my life getting some fancy paper that says I am a doctor. I just want to live. And my question was so simple. Am I gifted or not. No? OK I get that. Yes? I get that too. Not "Damn not another lazy teen. Man look at me I succeeded all thanks to school! :D"
    BossMan

Jul 2, 2012, 03:08 AM
    Well as you clearly have the answers for everything I guess I'm talking on deaf ears.
    You've missed my point entirely, although not surprising rather disappointing.
    If you are content with simply passing your courses, then go for it.
    Life will simply become a grey drudge.
    Enjoy and I'll have fries next time I see you..

Jul 2, 2012, 03:16 AM
    Well as you clearly have the answers for everything I guess I'm talking on deaf ears.
    You've missed my point entirely, although not surprising rather disappointing.
    If you are content with simply passing your courses, then go for it.
    Life will simply become a grey drudge.
    Enjoy and I'll have fries next time I see you..
    Excuse me but you did not answer my question at all. That's one. Two, I know if I continue like this I am going to fail my life but what I mean is that I don't care at all. I don't care about life, never did or never will. You saying "Zomg I am a millionaire thanks to school now get your stuff together" is the last I wanted to hear cause I have heard it at least a thousand timeS per school trimester and it just has nothing to do with question.

And next time you'll see me, I will be either in the streets of Montreal trying to steal your fries or I will be six feet under ground, decomposed. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2012, 03:27 AM
    I have to agree with Ben here. You asked us a question but since you don't like the answer, you dismiss it.

I also was like you. Throughout my elementary school years school work came very easy for me. I didn't have to study to get top grades. I was even placed in a special class for "Intellectually Gifted Children" in the 5th grade. When I went into Junior HS, I was placed in a special progress program. And that's where things started to come apart. Because I expected school to be easy for me, I hadn't developed good study habits. So my grades now started to slip. I graduated HS with a C+ average but scored very high on college placement tests.

So, yes, you may be gifted or may HAVE been at an earlier level. We can't tell you for sure because the designation is usually given as a result of standardized tests and teacher recommendations. So to get designated as gifted you have to be evaluated and that evaluation usually comes at an earlier age. At it is an evaluation we can't do through this media.

So my question to you is why does it matter? You clearly are not into competitive grades. You seem to want to slide by to get your degree. Do you think if you are labeled as gifted, that will change your life somehow? That it will get you a better job?

What you need to do is decide what you want to do with your life. Some careers WILL require continuing school and getting good grades. Or you could be very happy working the counter at McDonald's. Figure that out and it will help you decide what to do about schooling.

Jul 2, 2012, 03:40 AM
    The thing is I did not see the answer in the previous person's posts at all! I just saw someone who, by the way, is not the first one to tell me that I am just being a lazy brat or teen. And I know I am. I am not even hiding it! But gosh, I just did not need this answer. Not now anyway.

Thank you for a satisfying answer. And no, it won't change my life at all. It was just a doubt I've had. I believe I used to be in a higher level or more advanced than people my age, but I also believe I have somehow lost it. I don't know. I was just asking.

It's just that lately, I have been noticing how intelligence does not matter anymore and it bothers me. The best student (with the best grades, I mean) in my class doesn't even know that words like "Alzheimer" or "Tourette" cannot be translated! Or the second best one does not know how to properly round up numbers, nor does she knows historical facts! How alarming!

But no, it won't change my life at all. I think I will be one of those who will have the easy jobs for lazy people. I am not planning on having a family or whatever, I don't want a career or anything big. I just want to be happy, which I am not right now. And if it doesn't work out, well... we will see what happens.

Jul 2, 2012, 03:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by silpae View Post
    I just want to be happy, which I am not right now. And if it doesn't work out, well ... we will see what happens.
    So you need to figure out what WILL make you happy.

Yes some people can get great grades, but not be real smart. Others can be real smart and not get good grades.

But do you think you will be happy working menial jobs, living from paycheck to paycheck? I know at 16 this is hard to figure out. You may consider talking to your school guidance counselor or taking some aptitude tests.

Jul 2, 2012, 03:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    So you need to figure out what WILL make you happy.

Yes some people can get great grades, but not be real smart. Others can be real smart and not get good grades.

But do you think you will be happy working menial jobs, living from paycheck to paycheck? I know at 16 this is hard to figure out. You may consider talking to your school guidance counselor or taking some aptitude tests.
    We don't have a guidance counselor. My school does not care about things like this, I am telling you. They want successful students. So the principal is the "guidance counselor" and all she wants are doctors, lawyers, psychologists... etc. I am not even exaggerating.

But I know nothing is clear to me yet because I am sixteen. But I have been thinking about a lot of plans and none pleased me. I am graduating in a year and I need to know where I am heading. All I know is that I hate studying and I don't think I want a career.

Jul 2, 2012, 04:51 AM
    . All I know is that I hate studying and I don't think I want a career.
    I hate studying too, unless its something that interests me.

If your school doesn't have someone to help you decide on your career (very unusual), then ask your parents to arrange a meeting with a career counselor.

Not having a career means working at various menial jobs with no security. Even being a counter person at McDonald's is a career.

You need to find something that piques your interest.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 2, 2012, 05:18 AM
    I watched an hour long show interviewing 'gifted' children now in their 20s and 30s. Most of them regretted the term and the way they were hustled into special classes and lessons and watched and pampered. There's more tendency now to learn from those mistakes of the 80s and 90s, and to still provide the tools to learn more at a faster rate but not to categorize it and push it so much.
    I am a little dismayed that you are dismayed that a top student who doesn't know some facts you know is somehow indicative of something. It isn't!
    I also can't figure out what you are asking a lot of total strangers online about something only you really know the answer to. I'm sure you are smart, and you say you don't study or work hard - that's all we have to go on, along with a few stories of what you figured out when. But what you don't seem to care about is what it all means (absolutely nothing). It won't get you through life, relationships, a career, more schools, onto a space ship to Mars or into the French Foreign Legion.
    Maybe your talents will shine in some area of the arts, music, literature, design, acting, inventing, where academics aren't as vital. Good luck.
    MelanieRay Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2012, 05:50 AM
    Ill start by telling you that I'm not a teacher or a counsler but, I am a mother of 3. 2 of my kids are labeled as gifted. Comparing same grade report cards my youngest(14), not gifted child had the highest gpa in most years. My oldest (now 23) was put in gifted programs in 6th grade and my son (now 17) was put in gifted classes in 3rd. 2+2=4 but, while it made perfect sense to my youngest... that I used pennies and the teachers used blocks to my gifted kids made some difference. The park to my youngest is the place across the street where the swings are but, to my other kids it could mean that or any of the 3 acres of woods behind it. I find myself answering questions with questions for my older kids. Or staring at them with a puzzled face at many of the things they say.They will argue and debate anything and everything. Did you know that if you teach a child to drive, (especially if you are a fast driver) then give that child a car, all speeding tickets that the child gets are your fault?
    On that note, I don't think it matters if your gifted or not. You are very very clever either way. Gifted seems to be how you think, not how much you can learn orknow.

Jul 2, 2012, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I hate studying too, unless its something that interests me.

If your school doesn't have someone to help you decide on your career (very unusual), then ask your parents to arrange a meeting with a career counselor.

Not having a career means working at various menial jobs with no security. Even being a counter person at McDonald's is a career.

You need to find something that piques your interest.
    We do have someone, but it is the principal like I already said. But she isn't a professional and all she does is ask you if you are good in science and maths. If the answer is yes, well there you have it. Doctor you will be! If not then... too bad. Or become a lawyer.

I think I misunderstood the word career then. But yes, I am trying to find something that is interesting but so far, there is nothing I like enough to go to school and learn it. Well there is one: astronomy. But the first classes (I believe they will be on about microscopic life) are so boring! But I guess I wouldn't mind, knowing something cooler would come after.

Thank you again!

Jul 2, 2012, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I watched an hour long show interviewing 'gifted' children now in their 20s and 30s. Most of them regretted the term and the way they were hustled into special classes and lessons and watched and pampered. There's more tendency now to learn from those mistakes of the 80s and 90s, and to still provide the tools to learn more at a faster rate but not to categorize it and push it so much.
    I am a little dismayed that you are dismayed that a top student who doesn't know some facts you know is somehow indicative of something. It isn't!
    I also can't figure out what you are asking a lot of total strangers online about something only you really know the answer to. I'm sure you are smart, and you say you don't study or work hard - that's all we have to go on, along with a few stories of what you figured out when. But what you don't seem to care about is what it all means (absolutely nothing). It won't get you through life, relationships, a career, more schools, onto a space ship to Mars or into the French Foreign Legion.
    Maybe your talents will shine in some area of the arts, music, literature, design, acting, inventing, where academics aren't as vital. Good luck.
    First of, thank you for the answer.

About the gifted children, I did see a show similar but you know, I don't want to be labelled gifted and be pampered. Anyway, no one in my family or group of friends would care. They would care only if I had great grades.

Also, I did not say that a top student who doesn't know some facts I know is somehow indicative of something. Cause first, they aren't just facts I know. They are facts everyone with a brain should know. Cause we.. learned it. What I meant is that today, it doesn't matter whether you had learn something (at least, in High School). All that matters is whether you can fill the exam with the appropriate answers learned in the textbook. And well, those that learn everything by heart have an advantage because they can write the whole book down, but will not understand or remember what they had learn a few weeks later. Even basic things like who Hitler was!

But thank you for the answer and quite frankly, I don't think I have a talent. Maybe if I were good in something, I wouldn't have asked strangers about it but I guess I am overestimating myself, mixing knowledge and giftedness.

Jul 2, 2012, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MelanieRay View Post
    Ill start by telling you that im not a teacher or a counsler but, i am a mother of 3. 2 of my kids are labled as gifted. Comparing same grade report cards my youngest(14), not gifted child had the highest gpa in most years. My oldest (now 23) was put in gifted programs in 6th grade and my son (now 17) was put in gifted classes in 3rd. 2+2=4 but, while it made perfect sense to my youngest... that i used pennies and the teachers used blocks to my gifted kids made some difference. The park to my youngest is the place across the street where the swings are but, to my other kids it could mean that or any of the 3 acres of woods behind it. I find myself answering questions with questions for my older kids. Or staring at them with a puzzled face at many of the things they say.They will argue and debate anything and everything. Did you know that if you teach a child to drive, (especially if you are a fast driver) then give that child a car, all speeding tickets that the child gets are your fault?
    On that note, i dont think it matters if your gifted or not. You are very very clever either way. Gifted seems to be how you think, not how much you can learn orknow.
    I have a question. Doesn't every children need to visualize simple things like 2+2=4? I mean if someone really wants to understand, they need to see why it is four and not three, in my opinion.

But besides, I guess you are right. It depends on how someone thinks.
    Thank you for your answer!
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 2, 2012, 09:29 PM
    I have a question. Doesn't every children need to visualize simple things like 2+2=4? I mean if someone really wants to understand, they need to see why it is four and not three, in my opinion.

But besides, I guess you are right. It depends on how someone thinks.
    Thank you for your answer!
    I just want to add my opinion as a teacher. I have had many students who appeared lazy and unmotivated. They didn't care about their grades or many of the subjects in school. How did I figure out they were gifted? There was something that caught my attention in each of them! So, even if you aren't a straight A student, you can still be gifted. I've always said that my gifted students needed a secretary to keep them organized. Good luck and do your best in school!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to tell if I am gifted? [ 17 Answers ]

You know. Its starting to make sense and I do understand now that I am different. Different yes because I am always finding myself not being able to place in words what ever it may be I'm trying to explain to someone. And no matter what I do. They will NEVER see what I can see in anything. In...

I think I'm gifted but I don't know [ 1 Answers ]

Ever since I was a little child I would either walk by any I go I could get a feeling or a vison of something that has happened in the area in the past. Sometimes I can past a place or walk some where and feel like I shoulld go another way... I don't kconfusednow if that makes it a gift or not...

Am I gifted [ 6 Answers ]

I think I'm gifted... am I?

Is she gifted? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, My youngest daughter is unusualy bright and still very curious at 12 years old, so I took her to the doctors and they gave her an IQ test, all I was told about it was that she has an IQ of 131. I don't know what this means as I was given no scale or any other information. ...

Is he Gifted? [ 5 Answers ]

Since the age of 3 my son has spoke of Religion or anything to do with Religious aspects. One day he told my husband and I Jesus was standing right behind him. Then he went into this detailed discription of how Jesus was crucified. He descriped how he had a "nest" on his head. He physically...

View more questions Search