Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jordonj Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2013, 07:52 PM
    I can't talk loud at work
    I've always been shy and quiet but I do talk at work sometimes but they tend to say "what" to me. To me, I sound like I talk at a normal level. Im not sure if they just can't understand me or if I'm too quiet. I start to feel a little depressed because of this.

I've been struggling with this my whole life but will it get better as I get older?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 11, 2013, 07:57 PM
    What about when you talk to people away from work?

There are groups like "toastmasters" that help teach public speaking, they are great.

Also just practice all the time talking in what I call a "outdoor voice"

Sep 11, 2013, 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    what about when you talk to people away from work?
    I talk at a normal level. Its just work where I'm having a hard time
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 11, 2013, 09:02 PM
    Maybe it's a noisy work place or the people are hard of hearing, so adjust by talking a bit louder.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 12, 2013, 02:30 AM
    On an older post about a favorite teacher, you finally told us that you have hearing loss, yet you don't mention it in this post at all! It's very understandable that you aren't sure how soft or loud your voice is, and you don't want to sound like you are shouting, so you tend to speak softly. So if someone says 'what,' just say it again a little more loudly.

I know people who have no hearing loss who mumble and I have to say 'what' a lot, and I don't want to, so I stop, and then I miss most of what they are saying, and then the whole conversation gets all confused. I suppose it's funny in retrospect.

Sep 12, 2013, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Maybe its a noisy work place or the people are hard of hearing, so adjust by talking a bit louder.
    I try

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace start up is loud - swooshing sound and motor is loud while on [ 2 Answers ]

When the furnace starts up it makes a large swoosh sound and is very loud while it it on. Seems to be heating fine and shuts off fine. How can I fix this problem?

Can I talk about work on my blog [ 2 Answers ]

HI there, I have a strange request. I want to start a blog about my life. Loads of people that I know think I should write a book about my childhood, but since I suck at writing, I thought I'd start a blog about my life and crafting and such. Well, I'm a caregiver for developmentally...

No non-compete, but contracting firms won't talk to me because I work for client [ 2 Answers ]

I am a computer programmer. I am an employee of a large insurance company with a large technology division. My company also works with contracting firms to hire contract programmers on a temporary basis. There is an agreement between my company and the contracting firms it uses that prevents the...

Do you talk about Politics @ work? [ 11 Answers ]

Hey there, Do you talk about Politics at work? Who do you talk to about your Politics opinion? Is that safe to talk about it at all? Why? I would like to see different reasons for that. Start myself, I don't mention a word about politics at work.

View more questions Search