Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mugzy100 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 08:12 PM
    Caught shoplifting at walmart
    I was caught shoplifting 20.03 worth of merchandise I was brought in to a room and told it was not enough to call police but they took my info and saud I would most likely get a fine when does the letter come? How much am I looking at? And how do they determine the amout? Do they review tapes?
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Feb 5, 2011, 08:25 PM

You can expect a summons to court in the mail.

Walmart can not fine you themselves. A judge will decide the fine and penalties.

They probably will offer to have you plead guilty and pay a fine, if it is your first offense. If you choose to fight this they will have the tapes and the penalties increase.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2011, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by medic-dan View Post
    Walmart can not fine you themselves.
    Hello m:

But, they do... Some of us think it's illegal for them to do that. Others say it's perfectly legal... NONE of us can find out if our relative positions are true. Can you?

excon

Feb 6, 2011, 08:04 AM

It would seem to be a form of blackmail if they do that. "Pay the fine or we'll take you to court."

I could see them having you pay for the merchandise and then offer not to take it to court.

It does sound illegal, I'm not a lawyer. One thing for sure, you know Walmart will have lawyers.

Let us know what happens Mugzy. Good luck.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2011, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by medic-dan View Post
    It would seem to be a form of blackmail if they do that. "Pay the fine or we'll take you to court."
    Hello again, m:

Give me money, or I'll do something BAD to you, IS extortion, plain and simple. It used to be, that in THIS country, people didn't get RICH off crime... and Walmart has lawyers.

A few years ago, this appeared to be a Canadian issue, but it started cropping up here. I don't believe it's legal, and I don't CARE about Walmart's lawyers.

excon

Feb 6, 2011, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    A few years ago, this appeared to be a Canadian issue, but it started cropping up here. I don't believe it's legal, and I don't CARE about Walmart's lawyers.
    I don't care about their lawyers either. Unfortunately, until someone stands up to these big corporations and fights their "fines" nothing will get done.

Our system is not so much about justice as it is about money.

Walmart can afford to fight this all the way, the little guy, you or me, can't.

We lose, again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caught for shoplifting [ 16 Answers ]

Hi! A few days ago I was caught shoplifting at aShopping Ctr in Singapore. I don't really know what really happened to me or what I was thinking that make me do the hideous crime. I was stopped by the security guard upon stepping out of the store. I followed them to the security room and I...

Got caught shoplifting a Walmart. No police were called. What will happen? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello and thank you for helping me. I am so scarred right no and any advice would be awesome. I am 17 years old and have been caught shoplifting at Walmart. The cosmetics I took would have come out to be about $40. I was taken to the back office and they took down my information such as name,...

First offence shoplifting from walmart... Over 18... What will happen? [ 5 Answers ]

I was caught shoplifting a laptop at walmart about 2 weeks ago... they gave me a blue slip with a court date on it... I have stole from walmart before but never got caught... so I'm just wondering what will happen because I have heard that walmart will do everything they can to convict people... so...

Caught shoplifting at walmart [ 5 Answers ]

I was caught shoplifting at Wal-Mart and although no charges were filed,they told me I was banned for life from wal-mart , sam's club and so forth.I am not stupid enough to go back into the same wal-mart,however,if I pay cash how can they monitor whether I shop in another walmart?

Shoplifting at Walmart [ 17 Answers ]

I am a 20 male, part-time employed, college student. I got caught stealing from Walmart. I say that without having any feeling of shame or regret, because of my own views of the corporate world. But that's beside the point. The total dollar amount of the stuff I got caught stealing was around 20...

View more questions Search