Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Demi67 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 08:24 PM
    Am I Obligated To Pay Rent In CA?
    I am a tenant in CA. My Landlord is in default, (notice was posted to the door). I am planning to ASAP. Am I obligated to pay rent while I remain in the home, if he is not paying the mortgage?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2009, 06:59 AM
    Hello D:

It's OUR understanding, that in California, if a landlord doesn't pay his mortgage, then the tenant doesn't have to pay rent.

I don't have ANY citations, however. ScottGem, our resident expert DOES, however, and he'll be along shortly.

excon

Feb 11, 2009, 10:27 AM
    Thank You excon.

SocttGem, I look forward to your reply. Demi67
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 11, 2009, 11:41 AM

I finally re found the cite. Its CA Code sections 890-891
    TITLE 6. RENT SKIMMING - Sections 890-894 - California Civil Code - California Code :: Justia

This is called Rent Skimming and, as far as I can tell, is addressed by statute only in California.

Its not a cut and dried situation that you can get out of paying rent. There are several provisions and valid defenses. You also don't know that he hasn't been using the rent money to pay the mortgage, but its just not enough.

Also, if you have a lease, you can't move out without permission otherwise you could be liable for the balance of the lease.

If you decide not to pay the rent to the landlord, you have to pay it into an escrow account until the legalities are determined.

Feb 11, 2009, 11:45 AM
    Thank You ScottGem.

Demi67
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 11, 2009, 12:36 PM
    Sorry, Scott. I have to spread the rep around some so I can't give you a greenie. But good job on finding the statute. How about putting it in a sticky post?

Feb 11, 2009, 12:49 PM

I was aware of the CA Civil Code that Scott was kind enough to provide. It specifically states that within one year of purchasing the home, if the Landlord collects rent without paying the mortgage, it is considered rent skimming.

I have rented my home for 5+ years. I learned that the home was in default after the notice was posted to the front door. I am in the process of moving-don't want to be caught up in this mess. Many people have suggested that I discontinue paying rent-stating that I am not legally obligated to-however to date, I have not found legal documentation to justify it. Thank you all for your replies.

Feb 11, 2009, 12:59 PM

As I said, its not cut and dried. The statute appears to have been insitituted to prevent people from buying up distressed properties, renting them, skimming the rent and abandoning them.

If you have rented the home for 5 years have you considered buying it? If the landlord is going to lose it in a foreclosure anyway, then he might be amenable to a sale. Yopu might reach an agreement whereby you assume the mortgage by paying the arrears.

But since its not the first year you can't stop paying the rent. And you can't move unless you have a month to month lease.

Feb 11, 2009, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    Sorry, Scott. I have to spread the rep around some so I can't give you a greenie. But good job on finding the statute. How about putting it in a sticky post?
    I may do that. Have you hear of any other states passing or contemplating such rent skimming laws?

Feb 11, 2009, 01:32 PM

Scott-totally uderstand that it's not cut and dried.

My plan was to purchase the home. The Landlord left CA last Fall-without prior notification. After further investigating, he has a negative amortization loan, has NEVER paid taxes or HOA's. The outstanding balance on the home is TWICE the current value of the home-so purchasing isn't an option. Supposedly, the Landlord intends to short sell the home-and has received an extension on the auction date until Mid March.

At this juncture, I'm seeking enough time to pack the house, and find a new home.

Our Rental Agreement has expired. I am on a month to month lease-there is no issue on me leaving.

I am trying to determine whether I am obligated to pay rent at this juncture. My Attorney has heard the same rumblings, that its illegal in CA for the Landlord to collect rent if he's in default-however neither he nor I have found legal justification. One of my friends suggested that I try this forum.

Thanks again to all who have replied.

Feb 11, 2009, 01:40 PM

Unless the CA legistature has extended 890, then you are required to live up to your end of the lease as long as the landlord owns the property.

I suspect the rumblings your attorney has heard are misunderstandings about the extent of 890.

Feb 11, 2009, 01:46 PM

It seems that is the case. Thank you again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long is he obligated to pay [ 8 Answers ]

She's 18 years old and quit school last year and also moved in with her boyfriend. Her mother still wants to collect child support until she's 21. She says she's going back to school in the fall (adult ed) here's the real kicker. She's not even his. He's already paid child support until she was 18....

Father dies is girlfriend obligated [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, A lot of you know my situation from past post. Anyway my girlfriend broke it off after 3 years. It has been 4 months since we broke up and 1 1/2 of no contact until a few days ago. I e-miled her a few times to see when would be a good time to exchange the rest of our things since in the...

Feeling Obligated To Stay in a Relationship. [ 10 Answers ]

My fiancé cuts himself every-time we get in a huge argument. This recently starting happening when a fight led to me wanting to move out for a little while. He has several slashes on his upper arm, claiming he can't live with out me which is a catalyst for hurting himself. His family is from...

Obligated to Pay? [ 8 Answers ]

My husband found out a few years ago that another woman he'd dated had a son they believed to be his, but paternity was never established. He's tried to have contact with the boy over the years, but nothing has really worked out. The boy is now 16 years old and just this week my husband got a...

View more questions Search