Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lkapoor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 08:19 AM
    Trying to recover data from laptop hard drive
    Hello everyone,
    Here is my problem...
    Last week my laptop booted to a blue screen saying "unmountable volume". I'm not very PC literate. After researching... tried to fix it using xp boot cd or PC recovery cd. Nothing is working without the option of losing data. I cannot take a chance to lose my data.

Now I bought a hard drive enclosure. Connected it via usb to a working desktop.
    The desktop recognizes and brings up 2 drives (one for the main and other for the partitioned, E:/ and F:/ respectively).
    When I try to open the main which is E:/, I am getting the following error:
    "E:\ not accessible
    error preforming inpage operation"

I am stuck at this point and need help going further.
    Here are the things I am thinking about.

1. Is it possible to open the files from here or do I need to copy and paste them elsewhere onto the desktop ?

2. Also the laptop had a profile built with password. The desktop is not running with my profile. So can this be the problem ?

3. Lastly, could it be a problem with compatibility between 2 different versions of Windows ?

Please advise of any suggestions or methods you have used to resolve this type of problem.
    Someone earlier had a similar problem on this forum, but was not able to find the method that fixed their issue.

Appreciate everyone's assistance.
    Thanks,
    LK
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lkapoor View Post
    Is it possible to open the files from here or do I need to copy and paste them elsewhere onto the desktop?
    Yes, however copying the files off the drive onto the desktop or another drive would be safer since the original drive is not working properly.

The desktop is not running with my profile. So can this be the problem ?
    No, not for the problem you described. This scenario would manifest as permission errors when attempting to access certain folders and only when using an account without full administrator rights or if the folders had had their ownership fiddled with.

could it be a problem with compatibility between 2 different versions of Windows ?
    Anything is possible with Windows, but unlikely.

Please advise of any suggestions or methods you have used to resolve this type of problem.
    Usually I zero fill the drive, run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic, and then use it for nothing important ever again. Since you don't have a backup of your data, you can't do this and your options are severely limited. So, if the data is truly important, quit using the drive immediately and contact a data recovery company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accidentally formatted hard drive, need to recover. [ 4 Answers ]

My computer wouldn't do anything... frozen every time I started it and so I hit F10 on start up and thought I was restoring data to an earlier date and turns out that I formatted hard drive. I am devastated... I have videos of my dad and I talking right before he died, photos of the kids not to...

Recover data from Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am wondering if there is an easy, simple(yes, very simple), step By step way to recover data info from my computer hard drive?? I am not a computer geek, as in, not extremely knowledgeable as Far as computers go, so it would have to be very 1,2,3 or A,B,C As far as steps. Thanks for the...

How to recover data from hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

My Dell computer crapped out on me. I pulled both hard drives and they appear to be intact. I'm able to read them when I add them as slaves to my other computer. Here is the problem: My primary User on the primary drive, "Bob", will not allow me to access it. I can access all of the other Users,...

Transferring data from old hard drive. [ 2 Answers ]

My old Gateway Notebook running Windows XP died (the power supply went and the computer won't power up). I bought a new HP notebook running Windows Vista. I'd like to recover some of my data and files from my old computer (and possibly reformat the hard drive so that I can at least sell the...

Hard Drive problem - crashed and trying to recover data [ 10 Answers ]

G'day All, I'm having a hard drive problem. My hard drive crashed I've bought a new one have loaded up windows xp pro tried connected my old drive (making a clunking noise) as a slave drive and my computer just hangs at the XP pro openning window and does not advance. If I disconnect the slave win...

View more questions Search