Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thinay Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Sep 15, 2009, 01:51 PM
    how to prove this?
    Please help in this problem.. Here's the problem:
    A body rises vertically from earth according to the law S= 64t - 16t^2. In here, I need to show or prove that it has lost one-half its velocity in the first 48ft. Of rise.

Another thing.. can you please check if my answer in this problem is correct.. :)
    A particle is moving along a horizontal line according to the formula S= 1/3 t^3 - 1/2 t^2 - 2t + 2 whose S feet is the distance of the particle from the origin at time t(secs).
    a.) what is the instantaneous velocity of the particle at t=2?
    my answer: v=0
    b.) when is the particle is at rest? When v=0, t>2 and t>-1
    c.) when is the particle moving to the right? When v>0.

Hope you can help me. Thanks a lot.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 15, 2009, 02:51 PM

I'm going to assume that you know a bit of calculus - if not, please post back and we'll try to do these a different way:

For the first problem, take the derivative of s(t) and you get v(t) = s'(t) = 64 - 32t. Its initial velocity at t = 0 is therefore v(0) = 64 - 32*0 = [EDIT] 64 ft/sec. So the question is, when does v(t) = half of that, or [EDIT] 32 ft/s?

v(t) = 64 - 32t = [EDIT] 32, solve for t.

Then shove that value for t back into the original equation for s(t) to find how far the body has risen at the point in time when it is moving at [EDIT] 32 ft/s.

For the others:

a) Correct
    b) The body is at rest precisely at t= 2 or t = -1. Why did you put in the inequality signs?
    c) Yes, the particle moves to theright when when v>0, but I suspect that they want the answer in terms of time. So, for what values of t is v>0?

Sep 15, 2009, 03:59 PM

Ok! I knew now how to solve it.. thanks! :)

Sep 15, 2009, 04:07 PM

Wait.. The question in the first problem is that I need to show that in the first 48ft rise of the body, it has lost one-half of its velocity..
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 16, 2009, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thinay View Post
    Wait.. The question in the first problem is that I need to show that in the first 48ft rise of the body, it has lost one-half of its velocity..
    My apologies - but I see I made a bit of a careless math error in my initial response. I have edited my response (as indicated by the [EDIT] notations). Sorry for the confusion. What I hope you can see is that this method shows that at the same instant that the body has lost half its velocity it has risen 48 ft, which is what the question asked for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prove it. [ 3 Answers ]

If is a is prportional to b and a is proportional to c. Prove that a is proppotional to bc.

How can I prove what I haven't seen? [ 3 Answers ]

I am going through a messy divorce after 4 months of marriage, She claims I gave her herpes, and has the tests to prove it. She first showed that she has been infected, then within the next few weeks I took a blood tests showing that I had a high count of antibodies. Her gyn says that I knew or...

I have to prove what? [ 2 Answers ]

So you are say that I still have to get a DNA test to prove this? Even if she state it in her petition that I'm not the father and there is a sperm donor? I have to motion the court to have my name removed plus not be responsible. What right do I have to a child that's not even mines by blood. Just...

Prove it [ 1 Answers ]

Prove with eight matches sticks that one plus one equal to two in accounting

View more questions Search