Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jackson14 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Dec 29, 2011, 12:00 AM
    I have a health concern.
    I am 14 and today when I went to take a shower I was in serious pain trying to take my pants off.Well when I gotem off I looked and saw I had little painful red bumps all over my private area.I was way too embarrassed to ask anyone to help me,I mean for goodness sakes I'm 14 and Its private areas so like what is it and or what should I do.VERY VERY STRESSED RIGHT NOW OVER THIS!PLEASE HELP!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 04:30 AM
    Have you just started shaving you pubic area ? The red bumps could be from a dull razor.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 08:23 AM
    Yes, do you shave that area?

Do you have sex?

But yes you need to talk to your mom and most likely go to the doctor. The need to have medical things checked is nothing to be scared of.
    Mini_Her Posts: 145, Reputation: 4

Dec 29, 2011, 08:45 AM
    Little One--You need to seek medical attention. Walk into an emergency room.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2011, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini_Her View Post
    Little One--You need to see medical attention. Walk into an emergency room.

She's 14 - in MY State she cannot be treated without parental consent.

For that matter she can't be treated in an ER without parental consent in Florida (where you are) - "emergency care" can be given but nothing beyond that.

Legally this is NOT a medical emergency.

Dec 29, 2011, 09:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    She's 14 - in MY State she cannot be treated without parental consent.

For that matter she can't be treated in an ER without parental consent in Florida (where you are) - "emergency care" can be given but nothing beyond that.

Legally this is NOT a medical emergency.
    Well, when I was 16 I walked into an emergency room, North Shore Medical Center to be exact, because I was experiencing discomfort in that area. It was only a yeast infection, but bottom line is they didn't turn me away, and my parents were NOT with me. And a yeast infection is not an emergency either.
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2011, 09:50 AM
    Well, when I was 16 I walked into an emergency room, North Shore Medical Center to be exact, because I was experiencing discomfort in that area. It was only a yeast infection, but bottom line is they didn't turn me away, and my parents were NOT with me. And a yeast infection is not an emergency either.

I am telling you the law - obviously there are exceptions... or mistakes.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I am telling you the law - obviously there are exceptions ... or mistakes.
    The OP is 14; Mini was 16. Maybe that makes the difference?

Dec 29, 2011, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I doubt it. In most countries a person is not considered legal until they turn 18.
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2011, 10:06 AM

It's State by State. Some States are allowing advice on contraception to be given at age 14, without parental consent. Some of this also depends on the nature of the problem, the immediacy, the reason there is no parental consent (parents are working, something else).

The age of consent certainly varies somewhat by State but within that guideline the various States have "medical treatment without consent" rules/regulations/laws.

I ALWAYS preach that someone caring for someone else's children should have some sort of consent in case of an emergency. Doesn't have to be terribly specific but should be signed and notarized. I HAVE consents when I have my (step) grandchildren in my care. The consents I have are open ended and allow for medical treatment which, in my opinion, is necessary.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 10:09 AM
    Just getting to an ER might be a problem for someone who is 14.

Also, I found this (U.S.): "In a nutshell, the federal patient-dumping law entitles you to three things: screening, emergency care and appropriate transfers. A hospital must provide "stabilizing care" for a patient with an emergency medical condition. The hospital must screen for the emergency and provide the care without inquiring about your ability to pay.

If you're not having an emergency, then the hospital emergency room does not have to treat you. The hospital most likely will direct you to your own doctor or to a less-intensive-care setting, such as a community health clinic." (http://floridahealthinsurance.com/emtala.htm)

Our nursing expert might have some valuable input regarding this.
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2011, 10:14 AM
    I doubt it. In most countries a person is not considered legal until they turn 18.

There are different "legal" ages for different things - marriage, sex, purchasing alcohol, seeking medical treatment.

"Most countries" don't matter because this is asking about the US.

Perhaps if OP could let us know which State she is in a more accurate answer with less information open for discussion could be given.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 04:43 PM
    We have probably scared jackson off. Male or female, but both nowadays shave pubic area; with all they read on the Internet' I am not surprised for a fourteen year old question like this.

I hope he/she comes back so they will realize, by subsequent posts, that we don't absolutely jump all over a young person for asking a question like this.

I am appalled and upset with posts pointing out the legal aspects of this and why can't we treat a perfectly innocent question and accept it for what it is
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 04:52 PM
    Little One--You need to see medical attention. Walk into an emergency room.
    Please don't go to an ER for something like this. Emergency Rooms are for emergencies. Going to an ER for something like this is a waste of resources and someone with a serious injury such as a heart attack could have to wait for treatment and that could prove to be fatal.
    Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 04:56 PM
    If you're not having an emergency, then the hospital emergency room does not have to treat you. The hospital most likely will direct you to your own doctor or to a less-intensive-care setting, such as a community health clinic." (http://floridahealthinsurance.com/emtala.htm)
    Not true. If this happened it would be considered an EMTALA violation and people could get fired and the facility could get fined a hefty fine.
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2011, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    We have probably scared jackson off. Male or female, but both nowadays shave pubic area; with all they read on the Internet' I am not surprised for a fourteen year old question like this.

I hope he/she comes back so they will realize, by subsequent posts, that we don't absolutely jump all over a young person for asking a question like this.

I am appalled and upset with posts pointing out the legal aspects of this and why can't we treat a perfectly innocent question and accept it for what it is

When advice is given which is not legally possible I don't find it "appalling" that someone points that out - I hardly see the emergency here. If it IS an emergency there is a legal problem with treatment.

What's the point of sending someone off for medical treatment they can't get.

And, yes, the debate went on far too long.
    Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 06:56 PM
    Back on topic please before this thread gets closed as well.

Dec 29, 2011, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post

Well said. I hate how some folks jump on young folks for asking questions or expressing concerns. But back to the topic--you say it could be the result of shaving? How exactly? Can you specify? You mentioned a dull razor. What is a "dull" razor?
    Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 08:39 PM
    Thread closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between public health and health promotion? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between public health and health promotion? And how is is related

Are games good to health or bad for health [ 12 Answers ]

I always play games but my family says it bad for me but I ignore them

Health insurance for diabetic, otherwise in good health [ 5 Answers ]

Next month, I will be landing in Texas as a new immigrant on my Green Card (female aged 55 years - not working). I have diabetese which is well controlled bu insulin and am otherwise in good health. Which companies would provide me a health insurance cover, even if they put a waiting period for the...

Know my career,my fathers health and my moms health [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am sonal,studying in t.y.bsc in microbiology. Usually attending college is like a burden for me,I fear a lot in public attention,sometimes even start shivering while giving presentations,due to fear I can't even concentrate in my studies and get poor marks even ,I don't feel like going to...

View more questions Search