Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Satyam Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2007, 07:47 AM
    H1B Holder + Wife on F1(stipend) - Filing Status?
    I am on H1B since Oct 2005 (resident alien) and my wife is on F1(non-resident alien) since Aug 2004. We got married last year in June 2006 and live in different states. My wife is into her masters degree program (2nd year) and she gets stipend from her school (teaching assistantship). She has got her own W2 from a different state than mine.

My first and major concern is are we allowed to file jointly, even though we have different tax status? Would that affect her status (from non-resident - resident for 2006)? What are the additional forms that we need to file to bring to IRS & employers notice about changing her status. Also what are the things we need to take care of this status change for her from the future point of view? Also she doesn't have any state tax unlike me so can I file a federal return jointly and state return independently?

In addition I am major contributor for my wife's educational expenses such as tuition fees, books, laptop, rent (we stay in different cities) . Can I claim Hope/Life time credits for expenses relating to her education? I have got 1098-T form from school.

Could you please help.

Thanks and Regards,

Satyam
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Yes, you CAN file jointly, but it DOES affect her status, making her a resident alien for tax purposes from 1 Januar 2007 onward. She would have to notify her employer of this fact and, if she has NOT been paying Social Security and Medicare taxes, they WILL tax her retroactive to 1 January 2007.

Generally, if you file jointly on the federal return, the states require you file jointly on the state returns as well, even though ONLY the income earned within the state is subject to state income taxes.

You can claim the Hope/Lifetime Learning Credits or the education deduction ONLY IF you file jointly.

Yours is a complex tax situation. You REALLY should get professional help!
    alix13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Hi Satyam,

Looks like everything went well... I am in the same shoes where you were a year ago. Can you please suggest how it went for you that time. My wife is in F1B(Just got married) and I have been working in H1B since past few year.

Help Appreciated.

Alix

Quote Originally Posted by Satyam View Post
    I am on H1B since Oct 2005 (resident alien) and my wife is on F1(non-resident alien) since Aug 2004. We got married last year in June 2006 and live in different states. My wife is into her masters degree program (2nd year) and she gets stipend from her school (teaching assistantship). She has got her own W2 from a different state than mine.

My first and major concern is are we allowed to file jointly, eventhough we have different tax status? Would that affect her status (from non-resident - resident for 2006)? What are the additional forms that we need to file to bring to IRS & employers notice about changing her status. Also what are the things we need to take care of this status change for her from the future point of view? Also she doesnt have any state tax unlike me so can I file a federal return jointly and state return independently?

In addition I am major contributor for my wife's educational expenses such as tuition fees, books, laptop, rent (we stay in different cities) . Can I claim Hope/Life time credits for expenses relating to her education? I have got 1098-T form from school.

Could you please help.

Thanks and Regards,

Satyam
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 13, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Read my previous post.

Like Satyam, you will be able to file jointly if you choose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax filing status, I'm on H1, my wife on H4 [ 1 Answers ]

I've been working in US on H1 status since Jan 2005. I got married on 12/13/06 back in my country and my wife arrived in US with me on 1/3/07. Now, can I file 2006 taxes in 'Married Joing filing' status ? I've seen the following info on one of threads but I'm not sure if I can do Joing...

H1B holder filing jointly [ 1 Answers ]

I came to the US on F1 visa on July 31, 2000. I got married in Dec 05 and my spouse came to the US on F4 visa in Dec 05. For 2005 tax returns, I filed 1040 as a resident alien as I completed more than 5 years in the US. I got almost all my taxes back as my income as Graduate Teaching Assistant...

H1B Holder filing status - Wife & Kids never been to US [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am a H1B holder in US from Jun 2006. My Wife and kids never been to US. What would be my filing status and can I claim Spouse Exemption. Thanks - SP

L-1 Visa holder - filing status - Can all the deductions be claimed ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on L-1 Visa in US since Nov 27,2005 through Mar 03, 2006 and was back on Apr 15 2006. My Spose and child joined me in Apr 15,2006. I have filed taxes for 2005 as NR as I was here for a month only. For 2006 I believe I will be a resident alien having passed the substantial...

H1B Visa; Wife on H4; Filing Status [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I have been on H1B visa since July 2003. I am currently residing in New Jersey for the past 2 years. I got married in May and my wife accompanied me to US on 05/22/2006. She is on a H4 Visa and has been living with me since then. She does not have a SSN/ITIN/TIN. To file my taxes: ...

View more questions Search