Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1234teresa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2012, 05:09 PM
    How much more energy does a 4 ton heat pump use than a 3/12 ton unit?
    We have a 31/2 ton heat pump unit. It never shuts off it the temp outside is 100 or above It may run for 8 hours or more and never reach a temp in the house to turn off .the unit is 9 mo old in a new construction home that is well insulated and has energy efficient windows as well. Will it be more energy efficient to install a 4 ton unit that will cycle? Our home is just under 1700 sq feet. It has been gassed air ducts have been enlarged also. What next?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234teresa View Post
    we have a 31/2 ton heat pump unit. It never shuts off it the temp outside is 100 or above It may run for 8 hours or more and never reach a temp in the house to turn off .the unit is 9 mo old in a new construction home that is well insulated and has energy efficient windows as well. Will it be more energy efficient to install a 4 ton unit that will cycle? Our home is just under 1700 sq feet. It has been gassed air ducts have been enlarged also. What next?
    Most systems are designed now days to provide a 20 degree TD. That is total differential between the indoor temp and the outdoor temp. Like 100 degrees outside the best you will get inside is 80 degrees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will a 3 ton compressor work with a 3.5 ton heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

My heatpump compressor might be locked down are wires inside burnt can a 3 ton compressor be used in this unit it's a 2006 model I had it a year

Heat pump refrigerant requirement for a 4 ton unit [ 2 Answers ]

I have installed an Intertherm 4 ton heat pump. I can pull a vacuum on the system, but do not know how many pounds of refrigerant the unit requires.How many pounds does a 4 ton unit requier? I tried to contact the Intertherm web sites and none of their tabs have a customer question category?

I have a Goodman heat pump, I think about 5 ton unit. The fan keeps stopping [ 2 Answers ]

The fan will stop after aprox 5 - 10 minutes. The motor was replaced, same issue. Then the tech bypassed the defrost relay, same issue. Then he wired straight to the contactor with same issue.

View more questions Search