Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jan 16, 2009, 09:55 PM
    NOT spreading the wealth ?
    Treasury pick failed to pay taxes - The Boston Globe

Two years of unpaid taxes were discovered during a 2006 audit by the Internal Revenue Service, and another two years of unpaid taxes were found during a background investigation by Obama's transition team before Geithner was nominated in late November. If confirmed, Geithner would oversee Obama's massive economic recovery package and lead a department that includes the IRS.

So Obama knew this guy had not paid taxes for 2 years and he STILL CHOOSES him?

American Thinker Blog: Rangel and the Democratic tax scofflaws

Perfect! The tax and spend other peoples' money peoples' representatives ignore their very own rules; they're for the little people." And unlike those "little people" who are severely punished for not paying taxes, these guys might even get promoted.
    And these guys are not the only ones in 2008

Tax slip-up mars Franken campaign - Josh Kraushaar - Politico.com

Aren't these the "rich" folk that Obama said would pay more taxes?

G&P
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jan 16, 2009, 10:32 PM

But it was an honest mistake! :)

Seriously, is anyone surprised. The government of America lives in a world all their own, completley out of touch, they might as well live on Mars.

All us regular blue collar folks can do is continue to work, pay our taxes, and vote the next ruler from our single party system.

I try not to even think about it.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2009, 07:24 AM

I believe his resume is amazingly thin to be given the responsibility of resurrecting the financial system of the U.S..
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2009, 10:16 AM

He's a compadre of Paulson ;aint that qualification enough ?

The thing that really struck me is that the IMF gives a quarterly statement to it's employess and a handbook detailing their obligation to file quarterly . Then to sweeten the pot ,they up pay the amt. to the employee so they don't feel the bite of the taxes. Wouldn't you like your gross pay to also be your takehome pay ? Damn good deal.

But it was just an honest mistake according to his supporters... anyone can forget to pay their taxes after all .

Except that Geithner signed a document saying that he was aware of his obligation.

This is the guy who is going to oversee the IRS ? Geithner, over three different tax years, claimed that expenses for the summer camps he'd sent his children to qualified for the child and dependent-care tax credit. This credit is for working parents with children younger than 13 who send them to preschool or after-school care.

Geithner also failed to pay a 10% penalty for withdrawing money early from a federal retirement account.
    There's no secret that has to happen with early withdrawal .

These weren't "honest mistakes" . They are outright tax fraud and abuse !

I guess if you are looking for a silver lining to his confirmation (yes I have no doubt he will be confirmed ) ;it is that perhaps his own personal issues will make him an advocate of simplifying the tax code.

Jan 17, 2009, 10:28 AM

What does this say about Obama's judgement?

He is already getting high approval ratings for handling the "transition to power" and he has not even been inaugurated yet?

When Palin can see Rusia from shore the MSM ran with it, but where is the Geithner/ Rangel story in the MSM?

G&P
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2009, 10:43 AM

It's clear enough that Obama is a puppet and no reason to think otherwise of Geithner. "President-elect Barack Obama's pick for Treasury secretary is relatively young, largely unknown and a proud workaholic. He is known for staying out of the spotlight, preferring to operate quietly behind the scenes to watch over financial markets as president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York." Real Time Economics : Who is Timothy Geithner?
    The senators who voted against the bail-out should be loaded for bear when this dude's confirmation comes up.

Jan 17, 2009, 10:49 AM

A puppet ? Who is pulling the strings?
    Do any of the congresspeople have the cojones to take this on?

G&P
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Jan 17, 2009, 01:23 PM

Oh my God people; give him a chance... :rolleyes:

Jan 17, 2009, 02:30 PM

So what do you think about the potential head of the treasury, the head of the IRS, the one is to hopefully help right the economy NOT PAYING HIS TAXES, and then Obama choosing him?

G&P
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2009, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    So what do you think about the potential head of the treasury, the head of the IRS, the one is to hopefully help right the economy NOT PAYING HIS TAXES, and then Obama choosing him?

G&P
    Obviously, many voters with their head in the sand.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2009, 04:55 AM

Oh my God people; give him a chance... :rolleyes:
    Maybe if he applies some of that personal creative financing on a national level he will pull us out of the crisis. Yeah ,that's the ticket .
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2009, 05:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950 View Post
    It's clear enough that Obama is a puppet and no reason to think otherwise of Geithner.
    Hello George:

Really?? The Soviet Union finally buried us, like Kruschov said they'd do.

Look, just because vise was the real president, doesn't mean that everybody acts like YOUR side does...

Bwa, ha ha ha.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2009, 03:23 PM

I heard on the radio the other day that this Geithner guy was actually cut a check for his taxes by his employer and was supposed to use that money to pay his taxes with but somehow never got around to paying them. Hey, isn't that nice? He gets his company to pay his taxes and then blows the money on something else? Hey, this guy is going to fit in just great in the Washington DC crowd, just great. Since when does a company cut a check to the employee for their taxes? What's wrong with that picture? But then I'm just being super critical. Isn't it about time HE nominated someone who was NOT a criminal, potential criminal or unethical or abnormal person to any post? I guess I'm just asking way too much here. Way too much.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2009, 06:57 AM

Yeah politics, law and economy are now a free for all now... at least for the elite.
    Us peon's still need the bail out they are given. Can you imagine if one of us 'forgot' to pay our taxes until it was to our convenience?

Jan 19, 2009, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    I heard on the radio the other day that this Geithner guy was actually cut a check for his taxes by his employer and was supposed to use that money to pay his taxes with but somehow never got around to paying them. Hey, isn't that nice? He gets his company to pay his taxes and then blows the money on something else? Hey, this guy is gonna fit in just great in the Washington DC crowd, just great. Since when does a company cut a check to the employee for their taxes? What's wrong with that picture? But then I'm just being super critical. Isn't it about time HE nominated someone who was NOT a criminal, potential criminal or unethical or abnormal person to any post? I guess I'm just asking way too much here. Way too much.
    Exactly,

Are those entranced [ most of the media and the left / liberals ] by Obama so blinded that they cannot see that this nominee has some serious issues?

G&P

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spreading of judaism [ 12 Answers ]

Why jews don't spread there religion like christians and muslims ?

Getting married, living in communal wealth state and non communcal wealth state [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. I am getting married in December. I will have been a California resident for 5 months of this year and New Jersey for 7 months. My partner has been in NJ the whole year. He has made significantly more money than me this year, and we are hoping to file a...

Red marks and spreading [ 14 Answers ]

My legs are covered in red marks. Not dots, or bumps. Just ugly red marks all over my legs. It looks real ugly like if I have a disease. They started appearing a little before Easter and now they are dark and spreading. Not itchy or burning. No symptoms as a matter of fact. My husband...

View more questions Search