Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MsJWilliams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2012, 10:04 PM
    4-Day Low Grade Fever is Now a High Grade Fever (103.5)
    My husband has had a low grade fever (99-101) for 4 days and it jumped from a low grade fever to high fever (103.5) within an hour. He has been getting fluids (Powerade Zero) and taking Advil every 6-8 hours for the last 3 days. The Advil appears to lower his temperature slightly. He complains of body ache, minor headache, chills, some dizziness, diarrhea, and cough but is not experiencing any chest pains or vomiting. I'm concerned about the high fever. Is taking him to the ER recommended (it's Friday night)? If not, what are some things I can do for him to get him through this?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Nov 23, 2012, 10:13 PM
    Do you have health insurance? If so, do you have a nurse hotline? (Many insurance companies do).
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 23, 2012, 10:33 PM
    If you opt not to go to the ER, make sure to keep him cool. Cold compresses, a cool bath. Anything to lower the fever.

At 105 you're looking at possible brain damage. It's you're call, and his, whether to go to the ER or not. But at 103 I'd be going for sure, before it gets worse.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Nov 23, 2012, 10:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    If you opt not to go to the ER, make sure to keep him cool. Cold compresses, a cool bath. Anything to lower the fever.

At 105 you're looking at possible brain damage. It's you're call, and his, whether to go to the ER or not. But at 103 I'd be going for sure, before it gets worse.
    I'm hoping she already left for the ER.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 23, 2012, 11:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    I'm hoping she already left for the ER.
    Me too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Low to mid back pain with low grade fever for almost a week [ 0 Answers ]

I have had lower-mid back pain with feeling of pressure in pelvic area (no pain) and fevers and chills for the last 7 days. They have done ultrasound of bladder and kidneys and cannot find anything. It is definitely worse when I am working. I have to take 2 extra strength every 4 hours or the...

Low grade fever after tooth extraction [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Four days ago I had my upper wisdom tooth extracted. Because I had an infection on the tooth prior to the extraction, I was already taking Amoxicillin for three days before the extraction was performed. I am supposed to take the antibiotic for 3 more days (10 in total since I started...

I have low grade fever for last 21 days [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have low grade fever for last 21 days. My Doc treated me for viral infection and fever dropped for 1-2 days. Fever range - 98.5 - 100.5 F. My Age is 30 Blood Routine- Haemoglobin 12.1

Cold and low grade fever.scared [ 6 Answers ]

Well... I believe I've caught a cold which makes me very nervous. I have it all, stuffy nose, sneezing, cough, headache, and I had a low grade fever last night. I'm 9.3 weeks, is this going to be harmful to my baby? I also woke up this morning without being nauseous or vomiting which is out of...

3yr. With low grade fever for 6 days [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My son is 3 yrs. Old and has had a low grade fever for 6 days now. I brought him to the doctors. 2 days ago and they found nothing. No strep, NO ear infection nothing. I don't understand why it isn't going away. Could he have new teeth coming in?

View more questions Search