Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lordstannis Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2015, 11:56 AM
    Flash Fiction Story?
    Okay, so I've never written before and I have a creative writing class and I have to write a flash fiction story. If you guys could give me some feedback on how to improve it or suggestions on things to change I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!

I know she’s in there, I know it. Doing things people like her do to make themselves feel better. Its 3:56, its dark and I just popped a few pills. I don’t know what they were, they always have weird names and taste like chalk. I washed it down with the whiskey I just bought, but I don’t even like whiskey. The pills are for my anxiety and anger, they say, but they don’t really do anything, which is why I take so many. That and because she says I should. I got the pills from my psychiatrist, who always judges me. I know she does, she says she doesn’t, but I know she does. She talks about me to her friends, cause that’s all she has, she’s alone too. I think it makes her feel better about her life, but still not happy with it. I heard her talking about me one time when I was spying on her, I do that sometimes. I should just go home, but I can’t, I have to do this. She has to know I don’t like what she’s doing. My psychiatrist says I need to go through with things and that I shouldn’t always second guess myself. This time I’m doing it, like she told me to. I walk up to her door and creep in slowly, she screams when she sees me, they always do that. I should have been quieter, I knew she was sound asleep. I was too loud this time, shouldn’t have kept drinking that nasty brown stuff. She keeps asking me who I am, scratching me and biting me, like she’s crazy. She acts like she doesn’t recognize me, probably because it’s dark. I’m probably going to regret this tomorrow, I always second guess myself. She told me to do it though so it’s not all my fault.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 10, 2015, 12:46 PM
    Well, there are a few grammar mistakes and comma splices galore. And the psychiatrist sounds out of character. Are you satisfied with it? If I mess around with it, you won't learn anything. The basic premise is good.

Oct 11, 2015, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Well, there are a few grammar mistakes and comma splices galore. And the psychiatrist sounds out of character. Are you satisfied with it? If I mess around with it, you won't learn anything. The basic premise is good.
    I fixed the comma splices and grammar. Didn't realize I had so many. Any other suggestions?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 11, 2015, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lordstannis View Post
    I fixed the comma splices and grammar. Didn't realize I had so many. Any other suggestions?
    Ummmm, let's try this partial edit [inside the brackets are my changes] --

I know she's in there [--] I know it[, d]oing things people like her do to make themselves feel better. [It's] 3:56 a.m., [still] dark. and I just popped a few pills. I don't know what they were [(they always have weird names and taste like chalk).] I washed [them] down with the whiskey I just bought, but I don't even like whiskey. The pills are for my anxiety and anger, [she said], but they don't really do anything, which is why I take so many. That and because she says I should.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 11, 2015, 12:37 PM
    I can't tell if the woman you are breaking in on at 3 am is your psychiatrist or not. If she is, and you aren't deliberately trying to confuse the reader, don't say 'my psychiatrist' the second time.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 11, 2015, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I can't tell if the woman you are breaking in on at 3 am is your psychiatrist or not. If she is, and you aren't deliberately trying to confuse the reader, don't say 'my psychiatrist' the second time.
    Not sure if he's breaking in then or at some other time. And breaking in at her office or her house? The psychiatrist part definitely needs help.

Oct 12, 2015, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Okay, so take that out. And it will flow better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Not sure if he's breaking in then or at some other time. And breaking in at her office or her house? The psychiatrist part definitely needs help.
    It's 3:56. Should I point out it's her house? Is it cause he just walked up to the door? I'm working on it, but it's tricky.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Turning non-fiction into fiction [ 1 Answers ]

I have written an nonfiction manuscript and would like the book to become fiction based on real life. How much should I change?

Fiction short story ideas [ 1 Answers ]

What are some cool ideas that you think would make great fiction short-stories? Like things that would be interesting in a plot, for example?:confused: any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Unknown title for old science fiction story [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having trouble finding an old book, I remember the basic plot, but I can't remember the title. I'm hoping someone has a better clue than it. In short the book is about a young girl/woman who can see and manipulate "rings" that can be used to pass through to alternate worlds. The two main...

Flash Action Script-Programming in Flash cs3 professional [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Does anybody know 1. method to creating a folder using Flash action script ? 2.Any good sites to learn Flash action script ? 3.Code to make a button in flash to browse for a image file and then to display its path? Thanks in Advance.. :)

View more questions Search