Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ruko_ruko Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2008, 02:44 PM
    DVD Progressive Scan
    Hello

I have a DVD player that says it is progressive scan. My older CRT TV however, is an interlaced scan device. It works just fine good picture, etc. using the DVD player. My question is how is it possible to view progressive scan video on an interlaced TV?

Thanks,
    KingsX Posts: 231, Reputation: 10

Nov 21, 2008, 02:49 PM

Unfortunately you can't. Your CRT TV is an interlaced picture tube. The only way to get the advantage of the progressive scanning, (480p) is to use either an LCD or plasma TV or projector type system that supports at least 480p. Most support HD and some all the way to 1080p. I hope that helps!

Nov 21, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsX View Post
    Unfortunately you can't. Your CRT tv is an interlaced picture tube. The only way to get the advantage of the progressive scanning, (480p) is to use either an LCD or plasma tv or projector type system that supports at least 480p. Most support HD and some all the way to 1080p. I hope that helps!
    Thank you. I know my old CRT set can't reproduce progressive scan video. How am I able to view my progressive scan DVD player's output? It says right on the front of the machine it is a progressive scan unit. I guess I'm missing something.

Thanks again.
    dprezzz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 08:36 PM

You can view progressive scan 480p dvd on CRT tv's and monitors. If your TV has component input, or DVi or hdmi you are able to view it 480p. Composit does not support progressive scan. Progressive scan has nothing to do with CRT. There are lot of fairly old TV supporting component inputs. Also if you connect trought component some dvd players needs to be set to progressive scan in the settings menu.

Nov 23, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dprezzz View Post
    You can view progressive scan 480p dvd on CRT tv's and monitors. If your tv has component input, or DVi or hdmi you are able to view it 480p. Composit does not support progressive scan. Progressive scan has nothing to do with CRT. There are lot of fairly old tv supporting component inputs. Also if you connect trought component some dvd players needs to be set to progressive scan in the settings menu.
    Thanks for the help. I realize the CRT has nothing to do with the method of how the video is produced on the screen. I just used the term CRT to denote “oldness.” You are saying my old TV can display 480p video. I can’t understand this because my old TV has horizontal and vertical circuits which are designed for interlaced scanning at 525 lines and 30 frames per second. Does supplying a progressive video signal from my DVD to a component input on the TV somehow get around the TV’s internal vertical and horizontal interlacing circuits? It must I guess.

Nov 23, 2008, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ruko_ruko View Post
    Thanks for the help. I realize the CRT has nothing to do with the method of how the video is produced on the screen. I just used the term CRT to denote “oldness.” You are saying my old TV can display 480p video. I can’t understand this because my old TV has horizontal and vertical circuits which are designed for interlaced scanning at 525 lines and 30 frames per second. Does supplying a progressive video signal from my DVD to a component input on the TV somehow get around the TV’s internal vertical and horizontal interlacing circuits? It must I guess.
    All I am saying is that if your TV supports component input & the dvd is set to progressive scan & you have normal watchable picture on the TV your are watching progressive scan. All of these component input equipped TVs have interlacing circuits. You get the progressive signal and the TV will interpolate the fields. You can check this by simply pausing a movie with a fast moving object (person) in the foreground and a static background. Try it in both mode. 480p and 480i. If you see any difference, you are capable of progressive scan. Here is some info on it:
    NationMaster - Encyclopedia: Progressive scan
    KingsX Posts: 231, Reputation: 10

Nov 23, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dprezzz View Post
    All I am saying is that if your TV supports component input & the dvd is set to progressive scan & you have normal watchable picture on the tv your are watching progressive scan. All of these component input equipped TVs have interlacing circuits. You get the progressive signal and the TV will interpolate the fields. You can check this by simply pausing a movie with a fast moving object (person) in the foreground and a static background. Try it in both mode. 480p and 480i. If you see any difference, you are capable of progressive scan. Here is some info on it:
    NationMaster - Encyclopedia: Progressive scan
    I have to disagree. Just because a TV has component input does not mean it supports progressive scanning. Component is a separation of color and light, one step higher than s-video and is totally compatible with interlaced and progressive video. You would be extremely hard pressed to find a CRT based TV that supports progressive scanning, computer CRT monitors notwithstanding. Even the last widescreen HD crt tv's that toshiba put out only supported 1080i and below, but it was all interlaced. You can try your DVD on progressive scan, and your TV will either not display the picture, or revert to interlaced anyway. Which is no different. Again, what I mentioned originally you will need to get either a LCD or plasma (projectors usually do progressive too).

Nov 23, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsX View Post
    I have to disagree. Just because a TV has component input does not mean it supports progressive scanning. Component is a separation of color and light, one step higher than s-video and is totally compatible with interlaced and progressive video. You would be extremely hard pressed to find a CRT based TV that supports progressive scanning, computer CRT monitors notwithstanding. Even the last widescreen HD crt tv's that toshiba put out only supported 1080i and below, but it was all interlaced. You can try your DVD on progressive scan, and your TV will either not display the picture, or revert to interlaced anyway. Which is no different. Again, what I mentioned originally you will need to get either a LCD or plasma (projectors usually do progressive too).
    Well, Toshiba CRT and 1080i has to do with CRT resolution. You are right, the component input does not guarantee progressive scan, but most of the cases it does. You are right it is not progressive scan what is displayed on the crt. But if you CRT has a picture with the DVD set to progressive scan, you will enjoy the same effect. So physically it is not progressive, but preceptively it is. By definition you are right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Progressive movement [ 2 Answers ]

I was listening to the local political radio show host this morning and he was saying how with this election we are bound to get a Woodrow Wilson progressive type government and he listed a few really messed up things Wilson did as President. I remembered hearing this same thing years ago, but my...

Hillary says she is progressive [ 3 Answers ]

Progressivism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Glenn Beck says that is probably one of the most honest replies she (or any politician) has ever given. What do you consider the pros and the cons of progressivism??

Past Progressive [ 2 Answers ]

Could anyone tell me which is grammatically correct: I was trying to call you at 6 last night. Were you watching T.V. Or I tried to call you lat 6 last night. Were you watching T.V. Thank you.

Never, Ever Use Progressive! [ 10 Answers ]

NEVER, EVER USE PROGRESSIVE! I believe, Progressive inc. does a bait and switch to their loyal customers when they change addresses! YOU BE THE JUDGE! Timeline: Jan 10, 2006- I move from the Santa Monica area to Pasadena Jan 13th- My old Progressive policy EXPIRES for $620 every 6 months...

View more questions Search