Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dabean Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2013, 04:26 PM
    HIPPA and my pharmacy
    I use a pharmacy in confidence and do not share that information with any member of my family including my wife. My account at the pharmacy was past due and comptroller of the pharmacy took the information off my account to look up my wives information and contact her. The pharmacy informed my wife that I had a prescription purchase on my account and asked her to make payment for me. They also went on to tell her that I had a history of prescription purchases at the pharmacy. Isn't this a violation of my privacy through HIPPA?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 19, 2013, 04:43 PM
    Did the pharmacy tell her what drugs were being taken? Why didn't the pharmacy contact you, or were they trying to and she answered the phone?

Sep 19, 2013, 04:45 PM
    *HIPAA... oops.

Sep 19, 2013, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Did the pharmacy tell her what drugs were being taken? Why didn't the pharmacy contact you, or were they trying to and she answered the phone?
    They called on her cell phone, asked for her and emailed on her personal email. The pharmacy looked up her information through a church list that the pharmacy had access to through the comptroller.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 19, 2013, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dabean View Post
    They called on her cell phone, asked for her and emailed on her personal email. The pharmacy looked up her information through a church list that the pharmacy had access to through the comptroller.
    You are their customer. Where were you?

Sep 19, 2013, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You are their customer. Where were you?
    At work. The pharmacy left a message on my phone and tried to contact me.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2013, 05:03 PM
    So they called your cell phone and left a message and then called your wife's phone and talked to her? OR they called a home phone that either you or your wife would have answered?

Sep 19, 2013, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    So they called your cell phone and left a message and then called your wife's phone and talked to her? OR they called a home phone that either you or your wife would have answered?
    And again- they called her cell and sent correspondence to her personal email they researched from a church list.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 19, 2013, 05:13 PM
    I would say from what you say that it was a minor violation.
    I'm not sure what you want to do. HIPAA reports take a very long time to be read, most are denied, and don't get you damages. Fines have been levied against large institutions such as a university that allowed too much access to electronic information to people who shouldn't have had access - that is mainly what HIPAA is for. Transmission of medical information between medical providers, insurers, pharmacies, and so on. Not calling a spouse to say her husband owes money.
    What do you want done?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 19, 2013, 05:14 PM
    And again- they called her cell and sent correspondence to her personal email they researched from a church list.
    Did they tell her the name(s) of the drug(s) you are taking?

Sep 19, 2013, 05:29 PM
    No, the name of the drug was not released. The pharmacy gave a description of the symptoms for what I am being treated for... and made some other diagnostic commentary.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 19, 2013, 05:33 PM
    No, the name of the drug was not released. The pharmacy gave a description of the symptoms for what I am being treated for...and made some other diagnostic commentary.
    Reporting on symptoms or a diagnosis isn't part of asking for payment. What does the pharmacy say now?
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2013, 05:37 PM
    It was definitely unethical for them to mention symptoms.

Sep 19, 2013, 05:39 PM
    They are insistent they were extending a courtesy by contacting my wife.
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2013, 05:43 PM
    Tell them you are extending a courtesy by letting them know you are changing pharmacies
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 19, 2013, 05:47 PM
    And I'd contact the owner/manage to tell him he needs to instruct his staff on HIPAA.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 19, 2013, 05:58 PM
    I'm not so sure this is a HIPAA violation. Your account was delinquent, the pharmacy is entitled to any legal means to collect. Trying to contact you through your wife, may not be nice, but its not illegal.

Mentioning symptoms may have stepped over the line, but since you don't know the exact conversation, reporting it as a violation, is unlikely to get you anywhere.

Next time you want to keep secrets from your wife, make sure you pay your bills.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 20, 2013, 02:18 AM
    I don't know any pharmacies that extend credit anymore, and I live in a small town. I have a feeling that you are in a small town. I find it unconscionable that you would look for retribution for not paying your debts. At best, with a lot of work, you could get the pharmacist's license revoked. Way to go!

When I went home to my elderly parents' small town I got Lyme. Their doctor called the house and told whoever answered the phone the test results, something I wanted kept secret because I knew my mother would blame it all on my dog. I was furious but let it go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reporting a pharmacy to hippa [ 7 Answers ]

While trying to pick up a prescription, a pharmacist assistant proceeded to say my name out loud & name the drug I was picking up. This is a Wal Mart I've used for years & never had this problem before. They have HIPPA privacy notices posted as well as a red line to stand behind so other...

I am a student of b pharmacy n searching for the scholarship in clinical pharmacy [ 0 Answers ]

I Am a student of Bachelor in pharmaceutical sciences in Pokhara university, Nepal.I have completed my +2 course in science with very good result .I did my +2 also in full scholarship an now here in B pharmacy programme also, I am a full scholarship holder student.. I have kin interest in clinical...

Pharmacy staff Hippa Violations [ 8 Answers ]

3 yrs ago I was approached by my boss and a visiting store manager (there as his witness of the conversation with me) that a pharmacist from a store I used to work at told him of a prescription I filled for myself using a wrong name and birthday; the prescription was filled correctly but they...

HIPPA in a pharmacy [ 21 Answers ]

I had my pharmacy disclose my prescription information to my supervisor. What is the statue of limitations to file a claim against the pharmacy and my former employer? The violation occurred in 9-06.

View more questions Search