Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kati-Katt Posts: 77, Reputation: -2

Jan 9, 2009, 10:40 PM
    Is it so?
    Okay, I was raised a Christian, and a friend that is Wicken told me that I couldn't be Christian if I believed in ghosts or that I believe one can be possessed by something spiritual... Is that true?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2009, 10:51 PM

Sort of a toss where to move this to, Relationship forum is not where it belonged.

Let me see Christian, Jesus called evil spirits ( demons) out of several people, so if Jesus believed in it, that is good enough for me.

Ghosts, let me see Jesus 12 in the boat on the stormy night, saw Jesus walking on the water and thought it was a ghost, so if Peter and James could believe in ghosts I guess we can to.

Of couse here you have someone who is not a Christian trying to tell you what a Christian can or can't believe?? Sort of getting advice from the other side, that is like a democrat asking a republican what it takes to be a good democrat.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2009, 02:16 AM

Hi, Kati-Katt!

How old are you and what do you think about what your friend has said, please?

A Christian can accept that a number of different things exist, but that giving credence to those things might be something that works against having a true following according to that which is prescribed by doctrines of denominations of the Christian faith.

Thanks!
    Starbucks21 Posts: 282, Reputation: 23

Jan 10, 2009, 02:24 AM

The question really isn't if...

It's more how...

But either way you can still be christian
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jan 10, 2009, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kati-Katt View Post
    Okay, I was raised a Christian, and a friend that is Wicken told me that I couldn't be Christian if I belived in ghosts or that I believe one can be posessed by something spiritual...Is that true?
    I assume you mean Wiccan.
    Wicca is a neo-pagan, nature-based religion. Here is a link to an 'explanation of Paganism' website.
    Paganism is as religion much older than Christianity and the Jewish religion.
    The Wiccan belief includes : belief in God and prayer, and honoring of other religions.

There are two main demands for someone to call him/herself a Christian :
    You have to believe in "God the Creator", and accept Jesus Christ as your saviour.
    All other Christian "demands" are in reality negotiable, including the Bible being the word of "God". 99% of all Christians are selective as far as the Bible and the Ten Commandment are concerned. Only a very limited number of fundamental Christians may take the Bible as the literal word of "God" and keep to all Ten Commandments.
    I doubt there are any who qualify...

You believe in ghosts and in "God the Creator", and you accept Jesus Christ as your saviour?
    You are a Christian!

You believe in horoscope and in "God the Creator", and you accept Jesus Christ as your saviour?
    You are a Christian!

You believe in fortune cookies and in "God the Creator", and you accept Jesus Christ as your saviour?
    You are a Christian!

You believe in... (fill in) and in "God the Creator", and you accept Jesus Christ as your saviour?
    You are a Christian!

You fear you are being possessed by something spiritual, and you believe in "God the Creator" and accept Jesus Christ as your saviour?
    You are a Christian!

Have a nice day!!

:)

Jan 12, 2009, 03:44 PM
    (Clough)
    Not to be rude but I don't think that knowing my personal information is your business.
    I'm sorry I know you were only trying to be nice but right now isn't the easiest time for me.

Jan 12, 2009, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis View Post
    Wicca is a neo-pagan, nature-based religion. Here is a link to an 'explanation of Paganism' website.
    The Wiccan belief includes : belief in God and prayer, and honoring of other religions.

You have to believe in "God the Creator", and accept Jesus Christ as your saviour.
    All other Christian "demands" are in reality negotiable, including the Bible being the word of "God". 99% of all Christians are selective as far as the Bible and the Ten Commandment are concerned. Only a very limited number of fundamental Christians may take the Bible as the literal word of "God" and keep to all Ten Commandments.
    I doubt there are any who qualify ...

You believe in ghosts and in "God the Creator", and you accept Jesus Christ as your saviour?
    You are a Christian!

You believe in horoscope and in "God the Creator", and you accept Jesus Christ as your saviour?
    You are a Christian!

You believe in fortune cookies and in "God the Creator", and you accept Jesus Christ as your saviour?
    You are a Christian!

You believe in ... (fill in) and in "God the Creator", and you accept Jesus Christ as your saviour?
    You are a Christian!

You fear you are being posessed by something spiritual, and you believe in "God the Creator" and accept Jesus Christ as your saviour?
    You are a Christian!

Have a nice day !!!

Excuse me but you don't have to treat my religeon like that, please don't answer my questions if you're going to be rude and ignorant because I don't apreteate it and if you don't believe in it then that's your opinion. And I never said I felt I was being possessed that was totally implied and I was asking if one cold be Christian and believe someone is possessed. And that is not true or necessary to say because just that you believe in those two things that you can do whatever you want.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jan 12, 2009, 04:13 PM
    Excuse me but you don't have to treat my religeon like that...
    You asked a question, and I replied with an answer. Unlike you suggest it was not rude at all.
    It was clear. You asked if what your friend stated was true. I showed that he/she was wrong.

And I repeat :

You believe in... (fill in) and in "God the Creator", and you accept Jesus Christ as your saviour?
    You are a Christian!

If you do not like answers from different perspective, than you should state that in your question, or ask your question on a specific board, like the Christianity board. This is an open-to-all religious discussion board.

N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2009, 06:52 AM

As Fr_Chuck said Jesus cast out spirits.
    I believe what your Wiccan friend was referring to is that if you get involved in some paranormal activities then you can't be a Christian because the Bible warns against occultish type things such as séances or following your astrological sign.
    I do to a degree but be careful not to cross the line.
    Like I believe astrogolical birth charts can be helpful in understanding yourself and how you relate to others, BUT it warns against using astrology to look to the future,
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 07:24 AM

If you are a Christian, you believe the Bible, right?

Mark 5:1-13 "And they came over unto the other side of the sea, into the country of the Gadarenes. And when he was come out of the ship, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit, Who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no man could bind him, no, not with chains: Because that he had been often bound with fetters and chains, and the chains had been plucked asunder by him, and the fetters broken in pieces: neither could any man tame him. And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself with stones. But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him, And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not. For he said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit. And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many. And he besought him much that he would not send them away out of the country. Now there was there nigh unto the mountains a great herd of swine feeding. And all the devils besought him, saying, Send us into the swine, that we may enter into them. And forthwith Jesus gave them leave. And the unclean spirits went out, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea, (they were about two thousand;) and were choked in the sea."

Yes, you can be a Christian and believe that someone can be possessed.

Jan 24, 2009, 07:59 PM
    You asked a question, and I replied with an answer. Unlike you suggest it was not rude at all.
    It was clear. You asked if what your friend stated was true. I showed that he/she was wrong.

And I repeat :

You believe in ... (fill in) and in "God the Creator", and you accept Jesus Christ as your saviour?
    You are a Christian!

If you do not like answers from different perspective, than you should state that in your question, or ask your question on a specific board, like the Christianity board. This is an open-to-all religious discussion board.

Okay just because he gave me an answer I didn't like isn't why I don't like it, it's because he is expressing an opinion that is insulting and degrading. If he's not ready to give advice that people would take seriously then maybe he shouldn't be giving advice.
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Jan 31, 2009, 07:20 AM
    [QUOTE=Credendovidis;1481006]You asked a question, and I replied with an answer. Unlike you suggest it was not rude at all.

And I repeat :

You are a Christian!

I did not think your reply was rude at all. I thought it was a methodical explanation of the definition of Christian. I also appreciated the info on the Wiccan beliefs.:)
    nitelight198073 Posts: 470, Reputation: 76

Jan 31, 2009, 08:57 AM
    Excuse me but you don't have to treat my religeon like that, please don't answer my questions if you're going to be rude and ignorant because I don't apreteate it and if you don't believe in it then thats your opinion. And I never said I felt I was being posessed that was totally implied and I was asking if one cold be Christian and believe someone is posessed. And that is not true or necessary to say because just that you believe in those two things that you can do whatever you want.
    DO not come here if you don't want advice... your age is something that we like to know so we can better help you no one asked you for a blood or urine sample ,social security or so on we like info to help that is all and no one is saying anything bad about christianity
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Feb 23, 2009, 04:16 PM
    Okay, I was raised a Christian, and a friend that is Wicken told me that I couldn't be Christian if I belived in ghosts or that I believe one can be posessed by something spiritual...Is that true?
    Hi,
    Fr_Chuck and HistorianChick gave good scripture to back up their belief. I would stick with what the Bible says, and let the rest of it go.

PS, next time post on the Christianity section and you'll avoid a lot of the negative discussion that doesn't really answer your question.

Also, from personal experience. I'm Christian and I have dealt with demonic stuff. It's real and I'm still Christian. Jesus dealt with demonic stuff.

Feb 23, 2009, 04:19 PM
    .Tried to delete this post. Reposted below.

Feb 23, 2009, 04:29 PM

I doubt there are any who qualify ...

You are a Christian!

You are a Christian!

You are a Christian!

You are a Christian!

You fear you are being posessed by something spiritual, and you believe in "God the Creator" and accept Jesus Christ as your saviour?
    You are a Christian!

Have a nice day !!!

Your view of Christians is not accurate. While it may be of those who choose to say they are Christian, but don't act like one, it is inaccurate of real Christians. There are many who choose to believe in many differing and contradicting points that do not line up with what the Bible states to be Christian Biblical beliefs. Although there are many out there who choose to believe contrary to what the Bible states as truth, they are not really Christians. Jesus said that those who OBEY Him are called by His name. Besides, Jesus even said that the demons believe. They are NOT saved though, so belief is not enough. I USED to be one of those who picked and chose what I believed, but then He changed my opinion.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2009, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by savedsinner7 View Post
    Your view of Christians is not accurate. While it may be of those who choose to say they are Christian, but don't act like one, it is inaccurate of real Christians. There are many who choose to believe in many differing and contradicting points that do not line up with what the Bible states to be Christian Biblical beliefs. Although there are many out there who choose to believe contrary to what the Bible states as truth, they are not really Christians. Jesus said that those who OBEY Him are called by His name. Besides, Jesus even said that the demons believe. They are NOT saved though, so belief is not enough. I USED to be one of those who picked and chose what I believed, but then He changed my opinion.
    I have explained that to Credo many times over the years that there is a difference between real Christians and professing Christians. I doubt anybody will ever get the point across to him.

Feb 25, 2009, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    I have explained that to Credo many times over the years that there is a difference between real Christians and professing Christians. I doubt anybody will ever get the point across to him.
    Jesus can turn the hardest heart to Him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search