Ask
    spudster36 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2010, 01:35 PM
    Is it better to retire or resign from a long term job
    Is it better to retire or resign from a long term job
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 25, 2010, 01:47 PM
    Difficult to give a constructive answer without knowing some background.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 25, 2010, 01:48 PM

If you are eligible to retire that would probably be better since there are usually benefits attached to retirement.
    spudster36 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2010, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    If you are eligible to retire that would probably be better since there are usually benefits attached to retirement.
    I am not old enough but have enough years of service
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 26, 2010, 05:58 AM

Spudster - without knowing what retirement benefits there are for your job, it's impossible to answer. If you retire (versus resign), would you be eligible for either a pension or health benefits? What about other benefits, such as life insurance? Many companies apply a formula based on your age and years of service to determine what your beneits are if you retire. Conversely, if you resign many companies will not pay out any accrued pension until you reach age 65 (even if you ultimately retire from your next job at, say, age 60), and most likely you would not be eligible for health care. You should run the numbers and see how these two options stack up for your particular situation.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 26, 2010, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    spudster - without knowing what retirement benefits there are for your job, it's impossible to answer.
    Don't you just love people who expect us to provide an answer to a complex question without providing any background with which to base an answer? Especially after being told we need more background.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Short term vs long term capital gains, loss carryovers [ 4 Answers ]

Back in 2000 and 2001, I had short term capital losses that exceeded the 3000 dollar limit. Each year, I've been able to deduct 3000 dollars since my short term gains have been minimal. I still haven't used up all my 2000 and 2001 short term losses. I had some long term gains in 2000, but...

Can H1b visa get cancelled if I resign the job and not joined in another job [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I have been working for company A and due to some issues I may be forced to resign the job ,Will they cancel the Visa once I resign the job and it will take some time for me to get some other company .So transferring the visa at this time is not possible... My visa is valid till 2011.Please...

Long term marriage.long term problems [ 6 Answers ]

Well Where do I start …I have been with the same woman since high school and now at 41 we are in a very rough marriage with a 4 year old son …we almost got a divorce at the 7 year mark due to her request that she just didn’t love me anymore and some of the hurtful things I had done like some...

Accounting for Long Term and Short Term Cap Gains [ 2 Answers ]

How do I properly account for Long Term and Short Term Capital Gains from investments (stocks and bonds)? I am unsure of which account to use and the proper treatment on the financial statements. We (the Company) have not been involved in investing much until this year. Feel free to assume I know...

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why? [ 4 Answers ]

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why?

View more questions Search