Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sea-Ray Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2007, 10:31 AM
    American Standard Shower Valve
    I have a single lever (actually a rotating knob) American Standard valve. It's stuck so that it doesn't allow any hot water (cold is fine) to pass. Last time this happened (that was about a year ago -- this particlar shower doesn't get used much), the plumber removed the face plate, took out a spring or something similar, applied some lubricant to it and charged me $100. I pretty much watched the process and feel I can do it with some help.

To the right of the mixing valve there is a large brass nut like thing with a slot for a flat headed screwdriver. I assume I remove the nut... but then what do I do?

Thanks for the help.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Look here and see if you can find your faucet, if you do then maybe someone can help you repair it.

http://www.fixtureuniverse.com/products/?tid=532&af=955&mfr=211&keyw=american+standard+sho wer&&s_kwcid=american%20standard%20shower|66276548 7

Dec 9, 2007, 03:01 PM
    The shower valve looks very much like the T372 - Colony Shower pictured at:

T372 - Colony Shower Trim Kit, Single Handle Sets (Shower Only) American Standard, www.fixtureuniverse.com

Sea-Ray

Dec 10, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Better yet, here is a picture of the valve:

Sea-Ray
    peperuizsj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 09:05 AM
    I have the same problem with this valve:

T675 - Colony Soft Bath/Shower (Trim ONLY), Contemporary Single Handle Shower & Tub Sets by American Standard

Some help would be greatly appreciated!
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 07:22 PM

Hello Sea-Ray And Peperuizsj,

It looks like you guys have problem with the cartridges, shut off the water to the shower remove the cartridge, clean and lubricate the cartridge use some silicon gel, install and check if it will work if not then you have to change the cartridges, open the links the first one is for T372 and second on is for T675, good luck.

John

T372
    http://www.americanstandard-us.com/a.../Parts_894.pdf

T675
    http://www.americanstandard-us.com/a...Parts_1032.pdf
    njbryant6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2009, 12:34 PM
    Hi, I have same problem. I removed the cartridge but what should I be cleaning and lubricating. I see the washers which look fine. Where does the lubricant go.

Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post
    Hello Sea-Ray And Peperuizsj,

It looks like you guys have problem with the cartridges, shut off the water to the shower remove the cartridge, clean and lubricate the cartridge use some silicon gel, install and check if it will work if not then you have to change the cartridges, open the links the first one is for T372 and second on is for T675, good luck.

John

T372
    http://www.americanstandard-us.com/a.../Parts_894.pdf

T675
    http://www.americanstandard-us.com/a...Parts_1032.pdf
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 12:55 PM

When the cartridge is removed turn on the water for a few seconds to flush the faucet, lubricate the washers and install the cartridge, check if it is OK, if not then you need to replace the cartridge, good luck.

John
    kmpdx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2011, 02:40 AM
    Just wanted to chime in here. I too have a single lever American Standard shower which the cold water flowed fine, but the hot slowed to a trickle. I finally got it fixed and here's how. My unit is older and did not have a cartridge. Instead after removing the handle and a "dome" shaped chrome sleeve which was held in by two small screws on the top, I came to the unit itself. At this point you will want to shut off pressure and bleed the pressure out. There is a retainer ring and this is what holds the unit together. If you don't shut the pressure off before continuing, you will have water spraying all over while frantically trying to get out to the main to shut the water off. The retainer ring looks like a plastic cog. You can use a towel to remove this by turning it counter clockwise since it is threaded. Now the parts will all come out. The lever comes out first followed by a round plastic disc and then a ceramic disc. These discs have grooves in them that when tilted open the valve and allow hot or cold water to flow through them in ratios according to the angle. Remove these and behind them are the two little rubber gaskets. Once I removed all this, it was obvious that the problem was a bunch of little oxidized copper stones which were creating the problem. I scraped all that out and wiped out all the old grease. Then cleaned all the old grease and junk off all the pieces. Had I known about what I would find in this unit, I would have purchased new rubber gaskets to change them out while I had it open. The ones I had looked OK so I greased everything with plumbers grease and used the grease to get the gaskets to stick to the back of the disc before replacing. I replaced everything in the same order. Be sure to get the retainer ring on before turning on any pressure. When I turned it on, all this brown water rushed out. The handle works better than ever and the pressure is so good, I think it could be used to wash old paint off the siding!
    kmpdx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2011, 02:53 AM
    After reading through a few more posts, I should have bled the line for a few seconds by turning the water on with the unit open and the discs out.
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2011, 04:55 AM
    Hello Kmpdx,

Thanks for sharing the above info with us.

Regards,
    John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

American Standard Diverter Stem Stuck [ 16 Answers ]

I have a circa 1965 AS Heritage in the wall 3-handle tub/shower fixture. I believe it's a Hertitage Model "N 1012" or N 1020". The diverter works spoaratically - the water flows to the shower, but then abruptly stops. With the diverter arrow pointing down for the tub water flows just fine. The...

Wiring humidifier to American Standard furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I have an American Standard freedom 90 comfort R furnace model AUY080R9V3W5 which is a high efficiency 2 stage with dc motor. An Aprilaire 550 humidfier is hooked up to it. The humidifier only comes on if the furnace is on stage 1. It stays off if it kicks into stage 2. The thermostat is a top of...

Loud Noise in American Standard Electric Heat [ 4 Answers ]

We bought our house over a year ago, and at that time everything was fine and passed all inspections. The whole house is electric and the heater and A/C are American Standard. Just this week, we hear a really loud sort of creaking or metallic sound throughout the air ducts when the unit turns on,...

American Standard Plebe toilet tank [ 1 Answers ]

Getting old I guess, anyone know the tank to bowl bolt spread on a American Standard Plebe (the old ones), can't remember if 51/4 or 51/2 inches.

American Standard - dripping from shower head [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a problem with water dripping from my shower head. I have American Standard hardware with a single lever knob (shower only, no tub). I installed a new cartridge 023529-0070A but that has not fixed the problem. My house is only 4 years old. I'm not a skilled DIY type but this...

View more questions Search