Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tyrrellica Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2010, 03:38 PM
    cog in sales commissions
    I have a question about our Sales Commissions. We are a hardware reseller that also installs and supports the end users with equipment purchased through us. Our sales commissions are calculated this way: Profit - COG (15%) = Sales amount x commission (10%). So, a $1000 dollar sale by the agent, has approx. $450 in Profit to the company. Then they take out 15% for what management calls 'COG' = $67.50 = $382.50 x 10% commission payout = $38.25. So an agent makes a $1000 sale, and receives $38.25, does this sound correct, the way in which they are applying the COG and commission amounts? I am new to the sales side of the house, and was a bit surprised. Does this look familiar or standard?
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 20, 2010, 04:41 PM

I cannot address hardware sales directly however for most commissioned salespeople they receive on average 33.3% of the net profit for each sale.

Stringer
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 20, 2010, 04:56 PM

Never did hardware, I have sold steam cleaners and pressure washers and all of the chemicals and items that go with them.

And that is very low commission to what we were doing.

Is here a salary on top of that commissio,

Apr 21, 2010, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    I cannot address hardware sales directly however for most commissioned salespeople they receive on average 33.3% of the net profit for each sale.

Stringer
    Thanks Stringer. I guess I was also wondering if the COG calculation is really legit. I do have a salary, so I am not starving. But to take an additional 15% for cost of goods seems a bit tricky, considering the house is getting 90% of the profit. Is that normal?
    Business Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrrellica View Post
    Thanks Stringer. I guess I was also wondering if the COG calculation is really legit. I do have a salary, so I am not starving. But to take an additional 15% for cost of goods seems a bit tricky, considering the house is getting 90% of the profit. Is that normal?
    When a salesperson receives a salary (possibly expenses also) the commission percentage and how it is calculated is sometimes negotiated. The larger the salary generally the smaller the commission.

Stringer

Apr 21, 2010, 10:56 AM
    When a salesperson receives a salary (possibly expenses also) the commission percentage and how it is calculated is sometimes negotiated. The larger the salary generally the smaller the commission.

Stringer
    Thanks, understood.
    I was under the impression that COG calculations were for the business financials, and not in the calculation of commissions. So in this example, I am getting the 10% after they take an additional 15% off the profit - I was told this is to pay accounting, keep the lights on, etc. I figured the company was using the 90% of profit for these expenses. Essentially, the sales staff is paying for 'housekeeping' out of their commissions. Does that make sense, or is that standard in a sales commission scheme? Thanks for your help!
    Business Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 11:02 AM

It's all in the bookkeepingTyr.

If they create a category for a column say for 'Admin' for example they could put all those expense items in it and then arrive at a 'net' profit' which would then have commission paid on this bottom line figure.

Stringer

Apr 21, 2010, 11:52 AM
    It's all in the bookkeepingTyr.

If they create a category for a column say for 'Admin' for example they could put all those expense items in it and then arrive at a 'net' profit' which would then have commission paid on this bottom line figure.

Stringer
    Got it. Somehow, I still feel cheated!
    You have been great, thank you for your responses.
    Business Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrrellica View Post
    Got it. Somehow, I still feel cheated!
    You have been great, thank you for your responses.
    You're very welcome, good luck and now go sell something... :) Nothing happens until a sale is made. Noting produced, nothing shipped, nothing resold, noting bought, nothing used...

Sales are our life blood...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sales Commissions [ 1 Answers ]

What general ledger accounts do I Debit & Credit when I book an entry for employee sales commissions?

Amortizing Sales Commissions from previous years [ 3 Answers ]

I work for a small company in sales and I am paid a base and commission. In 2004, I was only paid commissions for only the commissions I earned in first half of the year. I was not paid any commissions in 2005. The company -- like most small companies -- was running on a wing and a prayer, but we...

View more questions Search